free hit
counters
Anyone tried the waterless radiator coolant? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jexsi

Anyone tried the waterless radiator coolant?

Hi

As our V8's run hot as normal has anyone tried this new Evans waterless coolant that claims to run engines much cooler?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks Peter, the cost is not that high, I will give it a try once I have sorted my manifold issues, car sounds like a tank....

• Like 1

Hi Shaun

I recentley had engine overhaul done by South West lotus. (Full check over, cam belts ,tensioners.oil seals.clutch,turbo refurb ect).

Very nice people, Very good job.

Phil recommened useing Evans waterless. As I was replacing the coolant hoses with a set of silicone I was able to purge the system completly with compressed air when the old pipes were removed.

I have since done about 400 miles in lots of traffic conditions including queueing in the recant warm weather. The temp never went above 85degs and all looks ok.

Chris Ward

ps

I live close-- Horwich

Hi Chris

I live in Helmshore and work in Bolton so not far at all!! It's a long drive down to SWL from here, mind if I ask if you considered more local options? I definitely will try the waterless at some point, not sure that I have the confidence that I can really remove all the residual water when attempting this from home? Is it critical to remove every last drop?

Shaun

There's a product from Evans which does the job.

Hi Shaun

I recentley had engine overhaul done by South West lotus. (Full check over, cam belts ,tensioners.oil seals.clutch,turbo refurb ect).

Very nice people, Very good job.

Phil recommened useing Evans waterless. As I was replacing the coolant hoses with a set of silicone I was able to purge the system completly with compressed air when the old pipes were removed.

I have since done about 400 miles in lots of traffic conditions including queueing in the recant warm weather. The temp never went above 85degs and all looks ok.

Chris Ward

ps

I live close-- Horwich

I would have to same something is wrong with your V8.  The ECU is programmed to let the temp get up to 100degs before kicking on the fans.  So if you are in stop and go traffic in warm weather, there's no way a waterless coolant will keep the temps below the fan on temp.

Waterless coolant = Not as good as water for cooling

Evans own documentation shows that it is not as efficient as water for cooling.  Their benefits are not about more cooling.  If your car runs hot, make sure everything is working right, then upgrade the fans, the radiator, and add a manual fan relay switch to turn on the fans sooner than the 100 deg threshold set by the ECU.

I am more than happy to pay the extra cost and effort to switch to a new gen coolant if it will improve cooling, but that's why I will never switch to Evans.  I am concerned about corrosion, so I change the coolant every 2 years to keep the additives fresh in my conventional coolant.

Edited by lotusespritse

Hi all,

After some research I have decided to give Evans Powercool180 a go.

As I have the V8 I need 14 litres of the stuff plus some spare for top ups, which fingers crossed I won't need.

I have bought the following

3x5ltrs of prep fluid (which is reuseable)

3x5ltrs +1x2ltrs of Powercool180

The best price I found was from Eurocarparts 01325 380038 who had just had it on offer.

Prep fluid £26+vat and powercool180 5ltrs £39+vat 2ltrs £18+vat

So significant savings compared with all my google searches.

I've also bought an engine flush which I'll do before completing good clean out and drying of the system. I'll let you know of any differences between standard antifreeze and this stuff.

Hope the info helps!

Thats a good price.

I really like the stuff. The benefit of being kinder on ally engines but also the fact it doesnt boil like water cooling so doesnt pressurise in the same way. So far Ive been impressed how quickly the engine temp drops when the fans come on.

Buddsy