free hit
counters
My manifolds are dead... Anyone know of alternatives to the standard cast items? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jexsi

My manifolds are dead... Anyone know of alternatives to the standard cast items?

My exhaust is blowing like crazy and it's coming from the manifolds on both sides, it's really hard to see exactly where from but it looks like they are in a right state.... Anybody managed to source tubular replacements?

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's very unlikely that your manifolds are broken. it is more likely that the manifold nuts and studs have corroded away to such an extent that your manifold is not attached to the head, hence the blowing.

Regards,

David Walters

Thanks Dave

I will get back underneath and have a better look around? Is there any easier acces through the top or wheel arches to see the manifolds?

Good news, I think... My manifolds are intact and all bolts are present, however the EGR pipe that runs from the manifold area upwards to join a smaller pipe is completely corroded on the right angle bend close to the manifold end, looks like a reasonably easy removal providing the bolts don't shear... Would anyone recommend that I do anything except just change the pipe? I have seen posts about removing the EGR system altogether but that sounds complicated? Any advice would be appreciated.

On most vehicles you can just blank off the Egr pipes and map out in Ecu so you don't get any lights......

Normally run much smoother once Egr has gone - at least does on my vivaro, shogun and t5 that's now gone.....

You can just blank it off, no need to touch ecu :)

Once in a blue moon the engine light might illuminate flagging the IAT sensor, just clear the code and carry on ( you don't loose performance with the light on )

In the 4 years since I blanked off the pipe I've only had the light come on once

Steve, sounds like a good permanent solution, exactly how do I do it? Do I need to tap threads and what blanks both ends?

IIRC on the manifold side I used the existing flange but welded the hole that the pipe passed through, the other end I made a blanking plate.  no need to drill or tap any threads you simply use the existing bolts/bolt holes on the manfold and use m6 nuts & bolts on the other end

steve

Steve, I understand the manifold end, for the other end did you remove the second pipe completely, if so does this mean going under the plenum? Could I just blank both ends of the first pipe off the manifold or is that what you did? Sorry to be a mumpty but I want to get it right, heard that the plenum is a nightmare....

Shaun

Hi Shaun

I left the second pipe in situ, so in effect you're blanking the inlet of it.

As you guessed doing it this way negates the need to remove the plenum!. When the time comes that I need to remove the plenum for some reason, I will then remove the second pipe and the egr itself

With mine I fabricated a blanking plate for the join between the two parts of the EGR piping.

If yours has gone on the lower pipe near the manifold there does exist a EGR blanking flange that bolts onto the manifold that is used on non-EGR cars, forget the part number. You will need to make sure the EGR pipework is airtight if you don't remove the EGR valve from the plenum and blank that off too.

I have once seen the error code P0401 - EGR flow insufficient, but that resets itself after a few restarts or you can clear with a OBD reader.

Thanks Steve/Pete, sounds like something I should manage ok, one last question, did you remove the charcoal unit or air pump as well or just the pipe? Read somewhere that the Lack of EGR allows you to remove other components?

Shaun

I left all the pipes and wiring in place, just blanked off the join.

You can remove EGR and SAI without problem.

I have ordered and received the parts from PNM, when I get back from Mexico I will blank the EGR, sort out the weeping sump plug and finally fit the new master and slave clutch cylinders and braided hose, then thrash the arse of her..

• Like 1

Shaun

That's the spirit chap.

You should notice an immediate improvement at idle that's for sure

So..... Decided that the best way to get rid of my jet lag was to attempt to remove the EGR system today, what could possibly go wrong... As a long time lotus owner we all know that there are days that do not go to plan and there are days when you want to push the car over a cliff... So I started in good spirits, and 90 minutes later.... It's was all done... Really... No stripped threads, no gushing cuts, no lost washers, every thing came off perfectly, PNM supplied the 2 blanking plates and gaskets, all went back together like a dream, then went to start her up and, vroooom... Lovely burble back from my PNM silenced de cat pipes and central exhaust, I can even hear the turbos spooling up nicely and the car ticks over much smoother and actually runs a lot smoother and with increased boost, I guess the leaking EGR pipe must have been robbing some pressure into the turbo, so sat at lights as happy as can be when I notice smoke pouring out of the engine grill on the rear panel...... Crap, I bolt out of the car and open the rear hatch to be greeted by........?... Nothing more than the WD 40 I had sprayed all over the bolts before removing them being burned up by the exhaust and turbos, PHEW

I had a great day today, but I know that the other jobs in hand will cost yards of skin and pints of blood further down the line....

I would recommend removing the EGR pipe, I had to do as the pipe had split but the car is so much smooth and runs so much better without all that emission dodging tosh!!!

• Like 1

Glad it all went well for you :)

Egr valves are a work of the devil.

Why would you put a load of horrible crappy air back into your precious engine......

For years everyone has tried everything to get copious quantities of clean cool air into engines..... Then some engineer emissions clown decides to chuck a load of red hot sooty air back in.......

Well done and enjoy thrashing the ass!!

There's a good reason why they do it.  The engineers are not dumb.  It amazing that they have been on cars for so long, and people are still afraid of them and don't understand what they do and how they work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

I would never pull it off the car.  I would fix it.  It's not a complicated system, but on any old car, it needs repair after a while.  

When working correctly, the system will not interfere with idle or full throttle.  Lots of people try to pull these things off to get better idle and more power.  They are clueless.

Edited by lotusespritse

Well, All I can tell you is that without EGR on my car it runs so much smoother and pulls so much better with a near perfect idle, tree huggers may not like it and lets see what the MOT station says later today..... I would still recommend removing it based on my experience, totally different car to drive, much more refined. And the cost was £20 compared to 2 new pipes at £250...

• Like 1

The Wiki entry does state that it reduces engine efficiency, just like cats it makes the engine burn more fuel to achieve the same power in order to keep the tree huggers happy & of course, the Arabs rich. :lol:

MOT passed without issues.

• Like 2

Well, All I can tell you is that without EGR on my car it runs so much smoother and pulls so much better with a near perfect idle, tree huggers may not like it and lets see what the MOT station says later today..... I would still recommend removing it based on my experience, totally different car to drive, much more refined. And the cost was £20 compared to 2 new pipes at £250...

If your car runs better without it, that just means your EGR system needed service.  

So sad that so many Esprits fall into the hands of people that aren't willing/aren't able to pay to keep the car properly maintained.  

:thumbsup:     I would also buy a lottery ticket.I usually find my 5 minute job leads to a worm hole and before i know it its tomorrow.

The Wiki entry does state that it reduces engine efficiency, just like cats it makes the engine burn more fuel to achieve the same power in order to keep the tree huggers happy & of course, the Arabs rich. :lol:

LOL.

Let me help you better understand the Wiki explanation.  What would be the best way in your expert opinion to make an engine act as a smaller displacement engine only during cruise conditions when you don't need that much power and you want to save gas and reduce emissions?

Well, these engineers figure out a simple and reliable way without your help: Take up some of the cylinder charge with gas that can't burn.

The Wiki page shows that the result is better efficiency overall, lower emissions, and less stress on the engine.

Yes, I said "overall."  You just decided to read how it reduces it slightly and ignore all the ways it massively improves the way the engine works without affecting idle or max power.  Creative on you part.  It's usually the women in our lives that have selective hearing/reading.   ;)

Edited by lotusespritse