free hit
counters
Running-in period - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What's required for a brand new "S"?

I.e. required running-in mileage, max. allowable revs during that time and at what mileage is the very first service due?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In a nutshell, moderate power usage for the first 600 miles then some full throttle up to 1,000 miles, then first service. Don't allow the engine to labour by overloading it. 

It's on page 96/97 of your owners manual. 

Pictures for the rest of us! :)

Are you the lucky one with Silverstone's Motorsport Green car?

Offshore at present so can't see what is in the book as quoted by Bibs but different to the only new one I had where I was told max 4,500 rpm and no constant throttle at any revs for long periods (i.e. hours not minutes) They don't like giving it a 1st service before 800 miles and the window is up to 1,200.  It isn't just a like for like oil change but a different oil type that goes in. 

Having said all that, the engines just keep getting better up to about 10K miles and I've had a few so consider all them running in up to then :thumbsup:

Mine has just gone past 600 miles :devil:

I think I might be close to 700  :smoke:

Offshore at present so can't see what is in the book as quoted by Bibs but different to the only new one I had where I was told max 4,500 rpm and no constant throttle at any revs for long periods (i.e. hours not minutes) They don't like giving it a 1st service before 800 miles and the window is up to 1,200.  It isn't just a like for like oil change but a different oil type that goes in. 

Having said all that, the engines just keep getting better up to about 10K miles and I've had a few so consider all them running in up to then :thumbsup:

You need to exceed 4.5k which you're told to in the book, just not for prolonged periods. As per the manual, if you don't you won't bed the piston rings in correctly.

post-1-0-05009600-1428959379.png

post-1-0-68352800-1428959398.png