free hit
counters
Just bought my first Esprit - Introductions - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Just bought my first Esprit

Kisslust

Greetings,

I have finally purchased the Esprit that I dreamed about as a child. The example I purchased has been off the road since 2000 due to leaking gas tank. I hope I am able to lean on you guys for advice.

Regards

post-14824-0-50233100-1428979067.jpg

post-14824-0-94963000-1428979089.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Jason, welcome to TLF.

Looks quite tidy from the above pic, but more will always be welcome. :-)

Pop over to "introductions" and say hello there too.

I'm sure you'll be offered plenty of essential advice, but as a start, you'll need to check/change the belts if over two years old.

Tanks can be changed with the engine in IIRC, but it's a bit of a ball-ache, so most on here take the lump out to do it. Have fun!

Dave

Thank you!

I plan on pulling the engine out and going through it. The car is a bit tired or really just been stored too long. I will need to address clear coat peeling and the interior needs a thorough cleaning.

Is there a good source for gas tanks?

Various options over here in the UK, and many go for Slighlty shorter alloy tanks to help future installation/ removal.

Some one from your side of the pond will be along shortly I'm sure..

As a recommendation, do yourself a favour and sign up for full membership, you'll be buying a few bits and the discounts available make it well worth it.

• Like 1

Welcome to TLF Jason. :welcome:

Good luck with restoring the car to the road. Looks good for being laid up for 14 years!

Any questions or issues with using the forums. feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Welcome to TLF, nice looking car. Paint looks good too, very deep red which is good! 

Assume the car was just transported home on a trailer, nothing wrong with it is there? How come the lights are up?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Nice car chap, I too an a newby lots of great help and support on the forum, the parts manual you get with full membership is a must. 

good luck with getting the car running and i echo the thoughts of others get the belts checked! I didnt and nearly paid the price! 

cheers C

Do you expect me to talk........ No Mr Bond I expect you to die!

Welcome to TLF, nice looking car. Paint looks good too, very deep red which is good! 

Assume the car was just transported home on a trailer, nothing wrong with it is there? How come the lights are up?

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I am not sure what's going on with lights being up. I just brought it home yesterday and gave it a bath. That is as far as I have progressed. I on,y know that the tanks were leaking and the clear coat is flaking. I am sure that I will find more to fix.

The previous owner started removing the intake, turbo and such. I hope it was why he stated (gas tanks) and not some other hidden issue.

Welcome aboard.  Nice looking car, good colour and nice vintage.

The car has been resprayed at some point as it's an 1987/88 Esprit and would have had a Vulcan grey valance when new.  Your car has the Ford Cortina wing mirrors, which were on Esprit's from October 1987 to mid 1988.  As it's federal it'll have the Bosch fuel injectors, the Citroen transmission and it's also got inboard brakes on the rear too.

In case you're interested, this is what Road & Track said about the car.

http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_Road_And_Track_Test_1988.htm

Enjoy your new car :).

Welcome aboard.  Nice looking car, good colour and nice vintage.

The car has been resprayed at some point as it's an 1987/88 Esprit and would have had a Vulcan grey valance when new.  Your car has the Ford Cortina wing mirrors, which were on Esprit's from October 1987 to mid 1988.  As it's federal it'll have the Bosch fuel injectors, the Citroen transmission and it's also got inboard brakes on the rear too.

In case you're interested, this is what Road & Track said about the car.

http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_Road_And_Track_Test_1988.htm

Enjoy your new car :).

Thank you.

Are you certain about the Vulcan grey color? I find no signs of modification ie; tape off lines, overspray etc. Also mil thickness is consistent with the rest of the body.