free hit
counters
Tyre pressures v6 cup - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've just checked my tyre pressures today, to be honest for the first time though my car has still only done 900miles.  I was surprised to find the owners manual states front 32psi and rear 38psi.

38psi seem pretty high, though this is my first v6 rwd car so I'm not that experienced in this area.

I was wondering if anyone could offer an opinion as to my the pressure on the rear is so high.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Same as the coupe. It's what we run on the road, dropping to 30 on track.

So you are saying for normal road use, front 32psi and rear 38psi, whilst for track driving front 32psi and 30psi.

Or are both front and rear 30psi when on track.

Normal road use 32/38, track 30 all round. Some good threads on here regarding it, particularly one on dealing with understeer:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/68930-exige-s-dealing-with-understeer/

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/72950-track-day-tyre-pressures/

just to add, if you leave 38 psi in the rears on a hot track day, the car turns into bambi on ice!

• Like 1

This is what I do not understand. With 38 psi the rear is slippery, with 32 psi I ruined my tyres.

20572129re.jpg

They look like Trofeo - remember they have very little tread on the outside shoulder to start with. I was getting about 4 track days out of a set of rear, would have expected mine to look like that after one dry.

Just gone over to Corsa (don't like them as much - different story), but after 4 track days they still look better than the Trofeo after one, would say there was another 4 at least in them. Running them 30 all round on track also.

Now that Lotus have stopped supplying diamond cut alloys, I think i'm going to order some Team dynamic pro race alloys and wrap them in Avon ZZR.

They look like Trofeo - remember they have very little tread on the outside shoulder to start with. I was getting about 4 track days out of a set of rear, would have expected mine to look like that after one dry.

Just gone over to Corsa (don't like them as much - different story), but after 4 track days they still look better than the Trofeo after one, would say there was another 4 at least in them. Running them 30 all round on track also.

Tom, that pic was taken after my first trackday with the Exige, less than 200 km I guess. My feeling is to give also some more camber at the rear, but for this I might need 5 mm spacers.

I never drove Avon tyres. Are they on the same level like corsas ?

I was thinking the same. No spacers for additional camber needed. Don't know about avons, thinking maybe next time. There are new Trofeo R coming soon - 80% longer wear according to Pirelli. There is a bit thread in here on he topic. On phone - will find and link later.

Is that wear across the tyre evenly?

Now that Lotus have stopped supplying diamond cut alloys, I think i'm going to order some Team dynamic pro race alloys and wrap them in Avon ZZR.

How come they've stopped supplying diamond cut alloys?

Diamond cut wheels look great but are high maintenance. They need refurbing once water has gotten under the laquer to bring them back to their best. All it takes is one stone chip and the laquer is breached. For hard track use the regular painted wheels are more practical.

Trofeos work stunningly well on track of you keep an eye on temps. By reducing the pressure to hot target of 30 psi you get cold pressures that are all over the place once the car has cooled down (as it should be because the left tyres are working harder on a clockwise circuit). My left rear was around 24psi cold after a day at Goodwood today. So take a foot pump and top them up before driving home. Not many people seemed to bother but the difference it makes to the Trofeo tyre is immense.

Regarding tyre wear I'm still on original fronts after nearly 10,000 miles and 10 track days. On 3rd set of rears (one set picked up a puncture). I could have done all that on 2 sets of rears (but they would be really shot by now) I'm not driving like Miss Daisy either. I accept wear rates are high compared to most road tyres but they aren't as bad in my experience as some here have found.

I'll take some pics of my tyres tomorrow if it would help anyone.

• Like 1

To be honest I'm totally confused now. If my car is sat in my garage and I'm going to do approx 80miles on the motorway for its service what pressures should they be to start with. The car isn't going to be tracked soon. Though may see plus 100mph briefly on the mountain road when it gets back.

Thanks in advance.

^ what he said. :)

Yup factory settings work well on the road. You only have to lower temp with the Corsa Trofeo tyre on a hot trackday when working the tyres hard. If you don't let some air out you'll see well over 40psi as the air in the tyres expands, which is way above the recommended pressures.

Many people just leave their cars on factory pressures on the track too, they work fine until you really start pressing on. Apologies for causing any confusion, if in doubt stick to 32/38.

The problem we had with the Trofeo originally was not checking pressures as we did not think we were at a "level" that would make a difference. Puncture aside we got 3 track days out of the first set of rears. Then started testing (and importantly re testing after a session) and that helped, got 4 out of next.

I also think the outside wear on the Trofeo caused overly cautious replacements when the car was being inspected by the garage. Only one set of fronts been replaced and that was mainly down to a hard track day at Stowe which is not suited to the car. Only went to corsa because of a road trip and needed to be sure, 4 track days and very little wear.

Going back to third (rear) set of Trofeo today which have done one day at Silverstone, I am going to measure carefully the tread before and after next TD to see what actual wear this and start making the call to replace tyres rather than the garage. Pretty sure one set of rears was swapped because there was a chunk taken out of one.

Just got back from Spa on the weekend running 2.0 bar all round (29 psi). Probably should have been a bit higher but the car was handling nicely.

Same concern over the Trofeos though. The rears aren't looking so great now (might be my bad driving) and there are probably only a couple of track days left in them. Fronts are better but not that much.

I might go for the Corsas next just so they last a bit longer. 

Does anyone know when the new Trofeo R's will be available to fit the Exige?

was at bedford last week .... 32/38 worked for about 6 laps lol.... after that it was all a bit sideways lol .. all good fun though. 

saying that the exige v6 was still the fastest 'normal' car out there. 

That's the road pressure. Track pressures are 30 all round...

30 all round for Trofeos.

30 all round for Corsas on track too?

Thought I'd post up pics of my tyres.

Rear Trofeos after a trip to the Nurburgring, 9 times round the Nordshleife, a very hot day at Spa, the drive home and a trip to Goodwood. Around 2000 miles in total. At least 350 of those were around a track.

IMG_2687_zpsj6sedufn.jpg

Fronts are still the original set after 10,000 miles and 10 track days.

IMG_2689_zpsaxevk2xt.jpg

They were good enough to lap Goodwood in 1.28, no understeer whatsoever, so plenty of life left in them. I'd expect at least another couple of track days out of them.

They look in better condition than my Corsa's after 2 track days and 4000 miles!