free hit
counters
Tyre pressures v6 cup - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyre pressures v6 cup

Here's my tyres after a 200 mile track day at Hethel, about 1/3 of the day was wet. Wear looks bad until you get under the car at which point they look in fine state. Was running 30psi all round, checking each session. Car was in race mode all day:

Rear Shoulder:

17304384136_45a7b34505_b.jpg

Rear:

17304353746_692df8805b_b.jpg

Front:

17142751460_a6464f1575_b.jpg

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Shoulder wear seems unusually high.

I can only guess but 30psi is the target hot pressure so it's important to only lower the pressure to 30psi when the tyres have gone through a heat cycle. I'd start the first session with 32/38. Going out on cold tyres with 30psi in them might cause the shoulder wear perhaps? Only you guys can say what you've been doing. If it isn't that then it must be geo presumably?

Does your car have the Nitrons Tom?

The Cup cars are lighter of course and maybe the Nitrons are better at maintaining the right contact patch under hard cornering but even so, it can't explain that degree of difference.

Any tyre/suspension gurus out there able to shed some light on what's going on?

Shoulder wear seems unusually high.

I can only guess but 30psi is the target hot pressure so it's important to only lower the pressure to 30psi when the tyres have gone through a heat cycle. I'd start the first session with 32/38. 

Thanks Jonny - I was thinking it was looking way better than the last set, but I almost did a cut out of your and my pictures to show the shoulder wear side by side.

This is exactly what I do, first session at normal levels then check (40+ on the rear usually) and start dropping. Only reduce after a session as soon as i come off track. Geo was checked a couple of weeks ago and corrected:

geo_zpsezflyksf.jpg

No Nitrons at the moment, have been considering it - but still think that the car's abilities far exceed mine! The Race Pack on the coupe supposedly includes having the suspension set up to compliment the Trofeo tyres.

I think you've subtly hit the nail on the head... I need to lose some weight!

@ Tom

The wear is exactly like mine.

I was on a DE last week and worked with a bit higher pressure on the rear. 31 front and 35 on the rear gave me a better feeling with less understeer and a more equal wear on the rear tyres. With less pressure on the rear tyres, I always created big understeer while accelaration out a corner.

Maybe it's not so easy as it seems to compare S and Cup.

Edited by Freejack

Tom,

Were they new before Hethel?

That's pretty harsh considering the weather in the morning, rest of the tyre looks pretty good though just the shoulder,

Think I'd be having some more -ve camber on the car...

I'd done a couple of 15 minute sessions at Silverstone but had not really pushed like we were at Hethel, there was very little wear on them.

I've been pushing to get more camber on them, but they are at max Lotus (warranty) tolerances already. Starting to think that it is time to take the car to a company that can set it up with me there.

Any recommendations in the south anyone?

@Frank - although I am aware of the understeer, I don't really find an issue, 

Wear is massive after 200 miles.
How look/wear your Corsas?

Remember the Torfeo only start with 5mm, and i think on the shoulder even less. The main tread has virtually no wear. Hard to compare with the Corsa's, all the track days we did on them were wet. Still looked virtually new after the 4 though. Will post pictures when I get them back on.

Ah I see........

Tony (the chap in the baby blue S1) that was with me left his car with Dave at ES Motorsport (the big trailer that was at Hethel) for the suspension tweaking now I've no experience with them but if Tony is prepared to leave his car with them then that's a good enough recommendation for me!

I've been pushing to get more camber on them, but they are at max Lotus (warranty) tolerances already. Starting to think that it is time to take the car to a company that can set it up with me there.

With that sort of shoulder wear, you'd want less camber, not more.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ah, interesting. I thought additional camber would put more pressure on the inside of the tyre and as you cornered it would level the tyre contact. Figured less camber would mean it was on the shoulder more at lower speeds. Or have I got my +ive and -ive the wrong way round?

i know you've got it right in your head, but to clarify you're talking about adding more negative camber, where the centreline of the wheel at the top is inboard of the centreline at the bottom. Increasing negative camber brings the top of the wheel further in. Reducing negative camber past the vertical and over the other way is going into positive camber.

In your case I would say in theory you would want additional negative camber to reduce the roll onto the outer shoulder under load.

Edited by Arun_D

That's what I'd have thought more -ve camber required!

That's what I'd have thought more -ve camber required!

Bloody I pad so good I said it twice !

Cup cars ride at least 15mm lower, looks more like 20mm to the naked eye, something you can easily achieve with the Nitrons no doubt.

Yes I guess the lower ride height would result in much less role so putting far less load on the outside edge of the tyre..

Jonny where are your Nitron reservoir cans positioned?

Yes I guess the lower ride height would result in much less role so putting far less load on the outside edge of the tyre..

Jonny where are your Nitron reservoir cans positioned?

For lower ride height you need stiffer dampers, to take the same energy within a shorter damper stroke.

Call me stupid, but as mentioned before, my way now ist to increase the tyre pressure, because the wear looks like the side wall of the tyre isn't able to stay stiff enough with that lower tyre pressure.

2 under the front 'inspection panel', the rears are behind the carpet in the boot. I'd love to try the ohlins but what I like about the nitrons is how easy the are to adjust with the remote reservoirs. The ohlins reservoirs are built in so you have to get under the car to adjust them. Lotus Motorsport really rate the ohlins TTX though, a CupR with those set up properly must be a thing of wonder!

• Like 1

Ah thanks for that, its similar to where I had them placed on my S2 then,

I was never a fan of the Lotus S2 solution where they fixed the remote reservoirs to the wishbones...

It's going to be Nitrons for me they will do everything I need from them.

Edited by Ishy

Rebound adjusters are still at the bottom of the dampers, fronts are easy to reach at full steering lock. Rears less so but doable.