free hit
counters
It was me... - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

See its sometimes well worth the risk......

Only the brave will succeed that's for sure!

The very best of luck in breathing new life into the old girl - look forward to seeing your progress

Looks ok, does it run or have you not got that far yet?

Not yet, pulled the carbs to give them a clean but I'll need to fit a new cam belt before I turn it over. And the fuel pump looks knackered. And work is going to get in the way for the next fortnight, not to mention putting the finishing touches on the Eclat!

But the good news is all four wheels turn and the clutch isn't seized. The oil from the sump seems surprisingly fresh, and the plugs are clean. And a quick run through the electrics suggested that a surprising amount is working! Although I won't count too many chickens yet. We all know how things can 'crop up' with these cars!

• Like 1

ooh yes keep the Elite.

My family motto is "No point being the richest person in the graveyard". Have fun blowing the kids inheritance.... or do the decent thing and sell me the Elite ;)

Keep em both....

You can save money on the funeral costs by using the elite with the coffin hanging out the back.......

Your saving them all money in the long run.......they can use the eclat as the main transport!!

My family motto is "No point being the richest person in the graveyard". Have fun blowing the kids inheritance.... or do the decent thing and sell me the Elite ;)

I'm afraid I don't think it'll be the Elite that'll go on sale!  I love the Eclat but there's just something about the Elite's rear end that is so brilliantly unique.  If you're going to drive a 70's Lotus wedge I figure we might as well drive the really 70's looking one.  

That's if I don't keep 'em both...

• Like 1

Well done Dan, another for the collection!

I was just looking at an excel here in Australia. I have to agree. The rear end of the elite is just brilliant. :respect:

• Like 1

Immediate first look shopping list - a S2 steering wheel in black, and the two top corners for the front windscreen trim. Who can help?

• Like 1

Good or bad news first? Good news is I have two sitting on the shelf, bad news is some muppet riveted through them to the body shell, in order, I take it to get them to sit flat. They are here if you are interested with the two lovely holes glaring through.

With holes drilled in the actual trim?! Previous owners are a constant source of wonder! Any chance you could send me a pic? Cheers.

Elite wins over Eclat any day of the week! Well done for being brave and rescuing it. Is it black over silver or dark blue? I had no idea the factory did two-tones, perhaps a factory certificate could confirm this.

Andy Graham is doing the research now but the inclusion of the two paint codes on the VIN plate would suggest it's the original colour - which is black over silver with gold (on the black) and black (on the silver) pin striping.  I'll let you know what Andy says.

Andy has come back to me to confirm that the car did indeed leave the factory in black and silver, and with rare silver cloth upholstery inserts. I will post some photos of the seats when I can.

So cool - I am increasingly jealous of any Elite owner - I am always struck how low they look on the road (even from the perspective of an Esprit). 

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

Have just found your posting. If you recall, we have done some business before over Ebay. If you are intersted I have an original black leather 2.2 steering wheel going spare. Have just been down to the garage to fetch it. Only changed it from Rhona, as I found a brand new wheel locally-still sealed in its Lotus wrapping!

Have also sourced an all leather crash pad recently, which I intend to have recoloured to match the "champagne" interior. Will unbolt the other one for you. It is a rubberised one with a black leather centre.

All yours for the price of the postage,

All in the cause to keep these great cars on the road.

Cheers,

Iain

P.s. Cannot get my email to work after a complete operating system install, so will watch your posting.

Wow! That is an amazing offer, and sounds like just what i need!  Thank you so much. And I'm currently working up in Glasgow but will be driving back down to London in about two weeks.  And Hull's not too far from the A1.  I'd love to drop in, say hello and have a look at your motor.  I'll try and PM you too.

Once again these forums prove to be the best motoring community on the internet!

Hi Dan,

Have swapped over the crash pads, and your steering wheel is ready to be picked up. What day are you travelling on?

Getting to Hull is a lot easier now, just turn left and head straight down the M62, Much easier than when dad used to drive us down every year from Scotland to see granny in an Aston Martin many years ago. Only option then was all the back roads!

Saw my first Elite back in 1979, when Dad took us up to the Lotus dealer in Glasgow, to try one out as a company car. However, having two younger brothers, this wasn't practical. Settled on the first Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV SE into the country instead. Dad did admit years later that, he could have had an Aston Martin V8 , for what he paid out on the Alfa!

Vowed then to own an Elite by the time I was 25 years old. Achieved my goal 3 months before my Birthday.

You are more than welcome to see my cars, have owned my 503 since I was 25 years old. I turned 51 a few days ago.

Being an engineer, I have never been happy with the centre air vents on the series 1. The LHS one always seems to be distorted, as if it has been forced into the heater aperture. After looking at ways to improve the "fit and finish" have settled on removing 20mm off the back of the vent. A thicker foam pad on the heater box takes up the slack. Hey presto, the fit is now perfect!

Humbrol paint and careful masking rejuvenates the original hand painted silver lining as well.

Which leads me onto the guttering on the Elite S2.2 Upon investigation, it seems to me that, in 1981 Lotus had a batch where the screw centres were at least 2mm off. This caused a lop sided effect on the car. The passenger side gutter tolerance was 1.0/3.0mm, whilst the drivers side was 5.0mm?

Have re-positioned the gutter and rectified this issue to. Looks much more finished!

Like someone said a few years ago, "There is nothing wrong with these cars, that the owner and the dealer cannot put right".

Cheers,

Iain