free hit
counters
Indicators not flashing, just a constant on or off? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CharlieCroker

Indicators not flashing, just a constant on or off?

After having an issue (now fixed) with my fuel pump and while working on that (fault finding) I noticed that the indicators were not flashing. They come on correctly via the driver interior stalk right/left but simply stay on or off, no flashing? Weird thing is they flash correctly on hazard switch, any ideas, bad earth bad connection?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sure the esprit has a double relay. One circuit services the indicators and the other side services the hazards. The elite may be the same?

• Like 1

As you were... just before I went to work this morning I thought I'd have a quick check of everything thing just to ve sure and wouldn't you know it's all magically just working again! Haven't got a clue why they should have started to play up but I suppose after the fuel pump problems being rectified it's decided to start playing ball again, the joys of owning a classic car.

iffy earth on the flasher?

I couldn't tell you dunc, when I saw it was all working again, I didn't bother investigating any further. But I suspect you are spot on, if it happens again that'll be my first check point.

When my battery goes low (i.e. if I have lots of electrics on and my volts drop too low (at idle normally) then my indicators can slow down and eventually jam with them on constant as you describe)  so perhaps related to your low battery issue? alternatively the relay might be going or something?

• Like 1

That sounds like a plausible cause. I wish I knew why my battery had discharged in the way that it did, up until now I simply have no idea. The fuel pump had failed, but I'd like to inspect this further, I have the thing off of the car and would like to bench test it, but could it have failed if the battery was at low voltage? With a new fuel pump on and a fully recharged battery everything is working correctly, anyone know of a way to test the alternator?

Ok, I've been out for a test run and first go the thing died on me again, right on a bloody round about! Anyway this time however the battery stayed good and I was able to fire it back up and get home. Second go went better, never died at all. On inspection of the alternator I did discover that the earth wire was going nowhere, so I've fixed that, could that simple earth have been the culprit?

anyone know of a way to test the alternator?

A very simple check is to measure battery voltage with the engine running at 1000rpm. It should read circa 13.8V.

Now load up thw altenator by switching on heater fan, headlights,wiper and heated screen.

Battery volatge should still be circa 13.8V.

• Like 1