free hit
counters
Rubbing down lacquer - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi about to start my next Esprit project.I have slight pitting on the front wings ,it is the laquer.Can or has anybody rubbed this down and relaquerd this or is a front end  respray the best option..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I very carefully tried to rub down the peeling lacquer on mr rear hatch panel. The paint was rubbed through in no time.I could be proven wrong but I think its too tricky to do.

Buddsy 

I don't know of many cars that you can rub through the peeling lacquer on. My son's old Commodore had the problem. Shop said respray. Can't be rubbed back. Making money?

As Mr.O said, doable, but tricky. Depends which surface it's on as to how easy or otherwise.

Suggest trying it using 2000 grit and a suitably shaped block to stop you going too deep in any given area. It will take some time, but plenty of water and elbow grease and you may save yourself a localised respray.

As I'm sure your aware, colour matching on paint that old won't be easy, even across panels..is it the green s3?

Good lock

Dave

Your paint sounds like it is quite old if it is cracking or pealing or..?? The problem with lacquer is that it gets harder and harder until it cracks and peals off. One good reason why almost no one uses it any more even though it is much cheaper than urethane.

Urethane paints stay softer, are easier to work with and are more shinny and durable but cost more for all those reasons. They don't end of cracking but you can rub off all the paint on your car if you spend too much time rubbing.

I wouldn't worry trying to fix it with sanding it down. 2,000 grit is only used for the final step in flattening of new paint which, if you had planned to color sand and rub out for a premium job, one needs to put more paint on so you have room to sand and polish some of it off which you obliviously do in this process.

Your paint is probably too thin to sand and rub out and .........once you go through, you're done as the next color underneath is no doubt a different color and primer. Been there done that ugggg.

Paint is very expensive so a new paint job will be in the thousands if you want a good job, that is unless you do it yourself. I spent over $1,000 US, in materials painting my Elite years ago with the best PPG urethane and primers. Still looks great and not one crack 25 years later! I hate working with lacquer as you simply can not get the same quality as with a urethane.

JMHO

Richard

• Like 1