free hit
counters
Race Mode On Track - What's It Like? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Ian Lockwood

Race Mode On Track - What's It Like?

Hi all, it's my first trackday in the Exige at Cadwell on Friday and I was wondering about Race mode for DPM.

This is the first car I've owned with any kind of electronic stability assistance, so I was wondering what to expect? I've seen the videos and from the outside, it looks like you turn on Race mode and the car basically meters out the power to the perfect angle of slip as you accelerate out of a corner.

Is it really that simple? Is it possible to over-cook it if you just stomp on the gas, or will the car just reign it in to the point where cornering speed is maximised?

I assume it does nothing to help you if you lift-off mid-corner?

I ask as the manual doesn't really say much about Race mode other than suggesting it turns off the traction control, but that's not what I understood it to really do from the reviews of the car I read.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks Bibs, that's what I thought it did. Looking forward to trying it out, must be a bit weird at first to just bury the throttle regardless!

Special Lotus day sounds very interesting too, I was considering Hethel as a LoT trackday in the summer, but will hold off booking in case this comes along.

Edited by Ian Lockwood

Is it really that simple? Is it possible to over-cook it if you just stomp on the gas, or will the car just reign it in to the point where cornering speed is maximised?

I assume it does nothing to help you if you lift-off mid-corner?

Speaking from experience.

It works well if you keep your foot on the gas, don't be tempted to lift off, it will spin as I've found out.

In order not to lift off you have to change your way of thinking, this is the hard bit as your heads telling you to lift. It took me quite a few laps before I could trust it. 

One thing it cant do is change the laws of physics. If you go flying in to a corner it will under steer, a lot.

Also don't forget to lower your tyre pressures when hot, it makes a considerable difference

Edited by quantum2000

Race mode is basically a very advanced traction control system designed for maximum performance. It is not a safety system like 'tour' and 'sport' which also use the brakes independently of you (and each other) to correct a sliding car. Otherwise known as a stability control system, ESP, ASC or some other acronym. If you slide with race mode it will just cut the power. As such I don't believe it will allow you to hold an oversteer slide, for that you need 'everything off'. I find it really reassuring for fast, daunting corners where you are approaching the limit of grip. Excess throttle is seamlessly bled away, keeping the car balanced. I don't believe it has been designed for just mashing the throttle everywhere, I've never had the nerve to try that but I believe it would, in theory, feed the power back in according to the available traction. There will be plenty of opportunities to try it at Cadwell but just remember that it deals with power only. You can slide a car using lateral loads from aggressive steering (completely off the throttle) so if you find the car sliding that's why! It will be up to you to correct the slide.

see 3.12 here (DPM was set to 'Race' throughout)

I was at Goodwood on Monday but many of the corners are so fast you can use full throttle with 'everything off' as traction is generally very strong anyway. I'm planning a 'me vs DPM' video when I get the chance to edit one and will post it here. So far I think the essential benefit is one of extra confidence accelerating out of corners and that's where the extra lap time comes from.
  • Like 1

A test with the same driver in both modes would be very interesting Jonny. I really think Fifth Gear missed a trick by doing it with different drivers using each mode made the results a bit meaningless:

Thanks guys, that's helpful. In your video Jonny, was that slide at 3.12 a combination of steering lock and power, or just from lateral load/lifting off?

This is also my first mid-engine car, so I'm hoping I don't get caught out!

Jonny,

Cracking on there in the video, nice bit of red mist too :-) who was the organiser on that day? Looked like overtaking on either side and in corners or were you pushing your luck? :-)

Trevor.

Right at the very end of the Fifth Gear clip she does state that when she went around with all aids off she was 0.5 secs slower.

Looking forward to a post-trackday report on how you get on. :thumbup:

I'm more interested in how the car behaves with everything turned off. I might try turning race mode on the the end of a day and compare times. I found the traction control on the s2 a real hinderance as it would just cut the power whe you wanted to control the power/slide/exit.

You were there Trevor! It was after lunch at Spa. That Speciale gave me a right pasting in the morning so I had another, slightly more successful go at keeping up in the afternoon. can't remember circuit days overtaking policy but most Spa days are overtaking either side, at least the RSR and RMA ones I did before anyway.

It's hard to tell on the video but the Speciale pulls out sharply to pass the Renault, causing me to lift equally sharply to avoid running into the back of him. That's what caused the slide as there's quite a high lateral load going on through there. A gentle lift off the throttle rarely gets you into much trouble. Ian you'll be fine and you can always keep it in 'tour' or 'sport' while you're getting used to it.

Ah assumed it was another day given the overtaking. Thought it was left only. Great few days we had. The race mode certainly looks after the driving without being intrusive but I've not got round (brave enough) to try all off yet.

Trevor.

Curcuit Days are on the left, straights only and by consent, same as LoT. This rule is all track days including Spa.

RE: Fith Gear clip, I know VBH did it 0.5 seconds slower, but I think they should have had Karun do both laps for a balanced comparison.

In that case my apologies to Circuit days and the two cars I passed on the right.

Note to book with RSR next time! I personally think overtaking either side works much better but that's a whole different debate!

In that case my apologies to Circuit days and the two cars I passed in the right.

Note to book with RSR day next time! I personally think overtaking either side works much better but that's a whole different debate!

I've been known to be wrong... regularly.

Although all the days I have done with them (including Spa) those were the rules.

Race mode is one thing, it's very hard not to take every opportunity to pass when in 'trying to keep up with a Speciale' mode!

:driving:

I don't have the courage to go full throttle mid corner especially on some of the more daunting ones at some of the tracks here, however, at every track I've been two, switching from Sport to Race I typically go about 2 seconds a lap faster.