free hit
counters
Just bought a major resto project. Where to start? - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rolls

Just bought a major resto project. Where to start?

Hi
I look forward to getting to know the Lotus crew over coming years. I'm in Melbourne and just purchased a basket case Espirit S2 2.2. '78.

I love a 'Pepsi challenge' resto and have enjoyed faffing around with various marques over the years.

I need some pointers to get started and was wondering if some members could help with some downloads:
Is there a site where I can download parts lists?
Is there a site where I can download workshop manuals?

I intend to strip the car down to a bare shell and subsequently rebuild. To get started is there a post for:
Resto pitfalls
Engine removal tips etc.
Any newbie tips etc

Lots of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

First. S2.2 cars are very rare so you have yourself an excellent candidate for restoration, and my personal preference is for originality (FWIW)

I have not done an Esprit so I can't guide you on how to proceed with disassembly, but make sure you photodocument and label everything as you disassemble so when it is time to put it back together you have some kind of reference.

The manuals you seek are readily available, I do not have a site immediately on hand to refer you to, but it shouldn't be too hard to find using Google and there are a lot of Esprit people here who probably can be more specific.

Kyle Kaulback

Welcome to TLF Roland. If you spend £12 to become a Full Forum Member. you get a free download of the parts manual.

There are over 175,000 technical posts on here about the Esprit from over the last 10+ years. Have a read through the Projects and Restorations section for some inspiration :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Hi Welcome to the forum!

Pretty simple cars really and are also quite Meccano! Everything is possible and help from people who have done it before is a big help...so you have found the best place!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Welcome to TLF Roland. :welcome:

As Bibs said, being a full member on here will get you the part manual. You may be well served to also contact Steve Taylor at Lotus Marques. He would definitely be able to offer advice on that model.

s4Simon will also add your location to the Australia map if you contact him.

Best of luck with it all and keep us up to date.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Here's a pic of her bum. lots of love needed here! Can't wait.

post-18969-0-35193500-1429784719.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I've signed up. Just waiting for the commity to approve.

I need to buy a lot of spares to get started. Seals, bushes, cables etc - I'm assuming everything needs to be replaced. Where is the best place to go? I note there are some great sponsors here but they appear to have limited parts which is problematic as I'm in Australia and the shipping charges are very high. I'd prefer to place one order and have everything sent together.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Erm.....She looks like a JPS Special edition???? 78 was the year they won the Contructors with Mario in Black and Gold so may be you have hit a home run. They are super rare and worth good money if they are restored to Original!

Is the "World Constructors" rectangular badge on the back Gold?

The Wheels are the right ones and Gold as well (which they were on the Special Ed)....though it could be someone has painted it to look like a Special Ed. What does the paperwork say? Was she Originally black and Gold?

You can find out by applying to the factory, the full build details and the files. This will also help you add value!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Kimbers, that was my first thought when I saw the pic, but wasn't the JPS a 907 engine @ 2 litres?

Also, no wreath/ number on the rear quarter..

Exstatic for you if it does turn out to be one though, Roland :-)

Welcome, btw

Welcome to the forum.  That looks a great project!  If your car is an S2.2 it will have been made from 1980 - 1981 and will feature a galvanised chassis.  However it's on a T registration (UK plate), which was from August 1978 to July 1979.  So either it's a 1980s S2.2 with an older reg or it's a 70s S2 fitted with an after market 2.2 litre engine.

Good luck with your project, I look forward to seeing the progress :).

Thanks for all the replies.

I've signed up as a member. May I ask how do I obtain the parts list? I can't really do anything until I've had a good look.

Also, how do I purchase / obtain the workshop manuals?

Any pointers or links would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Lovely looking car you have. :)

What colour are the seats?

Thanks for the link.

The seats are black so I therefore think it's a stock.

Great Stuff. I do recommend contact the Fcatory and speaking to Andy Graham. He will do you a provenance report for you to keep. It will tell you what the car was, dates of builds, etc etc. You may find a surprise on there like it was a Lotus owned car etc etc.

One last thing. Careful with that Constructors badge. Originals are absolute hens teeth and I sold one out of my collection 3 years ago for £100 +!!!!!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

May I ask where's the best place to source workshop manuals?

I've seen numerous online however the price disparity makes me question the quality.

I'm based in Australia.

Cheers

Any Lotus dealer will sell them to you. :)

Evora NA

Could someone please advise what's this part running between fuel filter and carbs? Is it an electric fuel cutoff?

Also, where is the fuel pump located?

I'm still waiting for the manual in the mail.

Cheers

post-18969-0-92341200-1430217073.jpg

You'd do well to start posting these sort of questions in the tech sections mate :)

Evora NA

Flow lock valve which cuts off fuel when you turn of the engine. Stops tanks emptying them selves through the carbs if you park on a hill. Pump probably behind passenger seat in engine bay.

Roland, Also look out for Dave Mottram who lives/d near St Kilda. Dave used to look after my Caterham when I lived in Melbourne. I think he posts on Aussie Elises.

Also you should contact Ashton Roskill at Club Lotus Australia. Ash will definately point you in the right direction locally.

Danny

Out for a Blat or on the Allotment

Thanks Danny. Will do.

I used to muck around with a super & turbo charged caterham as well. Good fun!

Dave mottram usually comes to club lotus vic events.

Next meeting is tuesday 12th may at Shannons, warrigal rd cheltenham at 7:30 pm

There will others that may be able to assist as well.