free hit
counters
Big Celebration after 4 years grief - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
march

Big Celebration after 4 years grief

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

:thumbup:

Excellent! Let me know when you bring her up the coast road :-)

One thing I must ask - how come anyone who drives one of these beasts still has their licence?

One has to be careful!!!  And the points I have means I not been careful enough !

Glad its up and running.

Just don't overtake any of the caravans in the summer and you will be fine

One thing I must ask - how come anyone who drives one of these beasts still has their licence?

Marc

Care. As others have said. :D

Well done on getting it going. They are worth it, aren't they?. :thumbsup:

Glad you are enjoying it.

How about some pictures?

Well done! Looking forward to that day myself.

Congrats on getting it done :).  Any pics of the finished car?

Hi,

I have no current pictures but here is one from last year. This was a trip to the Castle Hill Festival where it was displayed by SWLC. This was its only trip out as it was here it became apparent the engine had problems. Later it was found the EGR valve had fallen off! making the car a pretty awful drive (missing and farting about at low revs). This was later fixed by a new EGR valve and the replacement of two brand new O2 sensors, oh and the cd changer was knackered - not a good day. 

15774133159_9b44ee9022_z.jpg

As for whether the whole process was worth it - well the jury is still out as I came very close to putting it up for sale at the end of last year. It was only the amount of money I would have lost on it that stopped me. Lets hope the next few years makes it worth it (good start so far this year).

Marc

Glad all is running well.

Just noticed my car which is also azure blue originally had the reg T345JCL. :)

nice enjoy

Just noticed my car which is also azure blue originally had the reg T345JCL.  :) 

Steve strangely enough I saw T340 JCL up for sale a little while ago - it was a Black V8, looked nice. Apparantly it was first owned / registered by Lotus as was mine. Just found this link below - corr they used to be cheap!

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/28921-black-v8-bca-enfield/

Was yours originally registered by Lotus?

Oh by the way - if you want the Noble behind mine it can be yours for £270,000.00 if I remember correctly.

Yes - cheap

But back then - trade vans like vivaros - they were also cheap as chips due to the recession.

Comparible - as they are now pretty much twice the price today. I've bought vans back then and now - trust me it's a fact......

Wish I'd bought a dozen of these though!!!!

Great news! :-)

Hi Marc, yes mine was ex lotus factory, then one owner prior to me.

Strangely though, my car has the federal bumpers fitted to it!

I wonder if the factory used to register cars themselves to make the sales figures look good. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened. The first owner of mine was listed as Lotus Cars.

Steve - Odd about the rear end, mine is also slightly non standard, it has the V8GT body spoiler, maybe they played around with this batch?

Quite possibly Marc.

I paid for the birth certificate from lotus & there wasn't anything listed about the bumpers!

I do remember it saying that there were only 5 cars produced in azure blue that year, 4 of which had magnolia interior &allegedly mine being the only one with azure blue piping to the magnolia seats.

The Esprit is still the only vehicle that has got me busted for speeding. I was willing to put my hands up to 105...since not long before, I had been going an indicated 50mph more than that. M25, early Sunday morning, no traffic......got busted on the M11 having turned off in front of an unmarked police car coming out of London on the M11!!

As for spending money and then selling...Graham Arnold of fond Lotus memory used to tell the story of a Jaguar he owned. Nothing but trouble...spent huge sums...finally got fed up with it and sold it. Three years later he came across the car again...and the owner said it was the finest car he had ever owned, never had a moments trouble in the past three years, magnificent!! And Graham realised he had spent all the money and had all the hassles and parted with it just at the point where it had been properly sorted!!

A friend of mine had a 246 Ferrari Dino....that cost him tens of thousands in rebuild costs...he got cheesed off, too and sold it at a loss. Two weeks later Enzo Ferrari died, and the prices went stratospheric!!

Moral: Get out there and enjoy the fruit of your labours...you've done your penance!!!

I do remember it saying that there were only 5 cars produced in azure blue that year, 4 of which had magnolia interior &allegedly mine being the only one with azure blue piping to the magnolia seats. 

Steve - Interesting about the leather with blue piping as mine also had magnolia leather with blue piping (I have since had them recovered as they were looking a bit sad), pretty sure the seats were original.

Marc, how strange, makes you wonder how accurate the certificates are!

post-11335-0-80139900-1429900425.jpg

post-11335-0-56476100-1429900518.jpg

Nice car - Like the seats and carpet. Is the carpet original? - this is something I still need to do as well as possibly recovering the seats again (another one of the fiascos from rebuilding the car - I even used someone recommended by the local Ferrari dealership)

Thank you :) I replaced the carpets soon after buying her, she originally had magnolia carpets which had discoloured and generally looked grubby!

I thought the blue was more practical given I'm not always wearing my Sunday best when driving her!

Where did you get the carpet done / made? Also are they replacement complete seats or recovered - if so who did them?

I have the original magnolia carpet which is OK but a previous owner must have been a smoker due to the burn marks - would love to change it to blue like yours.