free hit
counters
Indicating at roundabouts - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Indicating at roundabouts

Does anyone find this confusing? I find it quite simple. No matter the roundabout, indicate right then left when exiting or left on approach if taking the first left exit. (For RLHS driving obviously. Reverse for the US etc)

The Victorian law says do not indicate if crossing a roundabout, but this does not cover when the roundabout is more than an intersection. i.e. 5 exits. If you are going to take the second of third exit, do you indicate or not?

If you indicate right since you are not taking the first left, then indicate left when you wish to exit, everything is covered.

I don't understand why it seems so hard?

When it first came up in WA, the outcry was enormous that people didn't know how to indicate properly.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

And don't get me started on which lane one should be in....:-) !!

I'm with you on this, it was how I was taught way back when. Think guidelines have changed here in the UK though.

I'm sure one of the driving instructors on the forum will enlighten us shortly.

Even multiple lane entries is easy if you apply common sense.

I remember a friend saying to me that the unfortunate thing about common sense is that it is not that common.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Well, You know that, and I know that, and probably eneryone of us on here is the same as we like to think of ourselves as "drivers" .

Unfortunately, approach markings here in some parts of Blighty seem to be derived from either:
1 - traffic surveys carried out between midnight and 2 am, Or
2 - by some random crackhead in the council offices thinking they'll have a laugh at the public's expense.

Congrats on getting back out in the Esprit btw :)

• Like 1

I learned to drive in Swindon which has the best roundabout in the UK they changed the name on all the signs to the Magic roundabout it has one central roundabout with 5 mini ones round the outside. You needed to know exactly which lane and make sure you indicate or you can completely stuff things up for

everyone! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_%28Swindon%29

I agree with you ramjet lane discipline and indication seems lost on many people on the road, I personally can’t see that it is that hard. 

I think it is people’s laziness in the most part with a dash of arrogance and stupidity thrown in that they done don’t indicate correctly. 

Do you expect me to talk........ No Mr Bond I expect you to die!

That roundabout in Swindon is a total nightmare, you need eyes in the back of your head.

Also I find people often don't indicate on roundabouts anymore.  So you don't know where they're going left, right or straight on.

And the thing that really pi$$es me off is when you're driving round a round about and people don't give way and pull out in front of you, so you have to slow down for them!  Ignorant and dangerous.  :realmad:

I think that pulling because many people don't indicate while in there. So when they see someone indicate, they don't believe it and think you are leaving or not. They really don't care.

Oh and thanks Dave. Wasn't a big drive. :)

In France, they seem never to have learned to look without stopping....they often stop at every roundabout!! No regard for total lack of any traffic...they just stop. After which they indicate in a totally freestyle manner.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

UK rules. Signal left for left and right for right (or anything that is past 12 O'clock) No signal on approach for ahead or 2nd left if before 12 O'clock, but left signal as you pass the exit immediately before the one you are exiting at. Mini Roundabouts are only signal on approach and not necessary to signal on exit.

Alternatively, ask a BMW driver and do the opposite. ;)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

On a certain local roundabout it seems to be:

Ignore lane markings, so that wherever possible you can follow a straight line path around a circular object.

When on the roundabout, and at the exit before the one you plan to exit.

Move from left hand lane of the two that exit where you want to go, and so hug (clip if possible) the inner kerb. This places you in the lane clearly marked as lane two of the desired exit.

Exit roundabout on your desired exit and by doing so, swing left, attempt to knock the person out of the left hand lane- this then allows you to:

Be in the left hand lane, realise it's a left-turn and bus lane only straight ahead

So, when you realise this, you'll have the fun of also cutting up the people in the right hand lane as you simply force in without indicating. That right hand lane is normally at a virtual standstill at this point, so by forcing in at 30 degrees (or more) relative to parallel, it will require the cars in the right hand lane to not merely slow, they will have to stop by means of an emergency stop.

p.s.

On no accounts should you use those silly amber lamps on the corners/ side of your vehicle as doing so would simply indicate your intention and so give other road users a hope of realising what sort of person you are.

• Like 1

UK rules. Signal left for left and right for right (or anything that is past 12 O'clock) No signal on approach for ahead or 2nd left if before 12 O'clock, but left signal as you pass the exit immediately before the one you are exiting at. Mini Roundabouts are only signal on approach and not necessary to signal on exit.

Alternatively, ask a BMW driver and do the opposite. ;)

And this is my issue. The laws above are open to interpretation. What is a 'mini' roundabout versus a 'maxi" (?) roundabout? The stated law should indicate quite clearly what is required. As soon as you can interpret the law, people will.

I suggest WA adopted the above without the differentiation between roundabout size.

The only people that can help with yours Andy is the gendarme. And, I must admit, I have seen quite a few traffic infringements go past the police here unchallenged unfortunately.

There is nothing open to interpretation. A mini roundabout is painted rather than physical. The paint can include a 'hump' type effect.

It is all quite clear in the Highway Code.

• Like 1

So in the UK it is. I don't know about Australia as we don't have painted roundabouts that I know of.

Still, I believe it should be 'left blinker, I'm getting off at first exit', Everything else should be 'right blinker then left blinker'.

Simple.

So in the UK it is. I don't know about Australia as we don't have painted roundabouts that I know of.

Still, I believe it should be 'left blinker, I'm getting off at first exit', Everything else should be 'right blinker then left blinker'.

Simple.

The problem with that system is that for roundabouts where there is more than one lane it can cause an accident. Imagine the scenario...

2 lanes coming up to a roundabout, UK Highway Code says left lane for exit 1 - left, either lane for exit 2 - straight, outer lane for exit 3 - right.

Car in right lane wanting to go straight on. Puts on right indicator. Nobody knows what he's doing now. Is he going straight on or going right? Person pulling out at 1st junction will see right indicator, think he's going right and pull out into the left lane as the other car puts on left indicator and then tries to cross the left lane to get off at the 2nd junction. Result - metal rearrangement.

The UK Highway Code recommendation highlighted by mayesprit reduces this potential issue significantly in my opinion.

In Spain there are many two lane roundabouts but the Spanish driver ignores the inner lane. Totally!

Their way is to drive around the roundabout in the outside lane even if they are exiting on the third exit or more.I find this downright dangerous.

This is despite recent legislation that roundabouts should be used as we do in UK and the EU.

Their mind set will not accept this.

However, at about the same time legislation was introduced that pedestrians have the priority at pedestrian crossings in Spain. They soon picked up on that one. Walking out onto a crossing oblivious of traffic looking the opposite way, mobile glued to their ear.

It is strange that they cannot get roundabout procedure correct.

A work colleague of mine (back when I was still subject to that four letter word) had, as a neighbour, the chap who invented the Mini Roundabout. He used to despair of the people who insist on driving round them...he said their only purpose was to set precedence, who should give way to whom..give way to traffic coming from the right. No traffic...drive straight across!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein