free hit
counters
Brief overheat - damage? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
benjamincalleja

Brief overheat - damage?

Hey guys just wanting to get your opinion on where or not I may have caused damage- was driving today in town and noticed the rear window misted up and the temp gauge was at 105. I turned the fans on manually via the aircon thinking maybe they hadn't cut in but it kept going, went up to 110. I started looking for a place to pull over and over the next 3-4 minutes the gauge varied wildly from between 90-110 degrees. Finally found a spot after what felt like a lifetime (3/4 mins) and had a look, my otter switch had half popped out of its hole as the plastic zip tie holding it in had stretched so coolant was leaking out that hole everywhere (and hissing stream out the hole when I pulled over!). I let it cool down for a half hour, topped up my nearly empty coolant tank, firmly re secured the otter switch and drove off. The car drove fine, temp stayed at 80 the whole trip home and there was no noticeable power loss etc. could I have damaged the engine in some way??

I'm hoping I didn't because maybe the small hole meant the coolant loss was gradual as evidenced by the fact the temp gauge swung between 90-100, must have been a bit of water getting through those 3-4 mins?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't know re the over heat but the otters witch should be wired in with 2 separate loops of wire according to the service manual not a plastic cable tie. Probably  easier to take the whole pipe off and do it on the bench rather than leaning over the engine.

It started overheating here and then I stopped 4km away. See map. Damage territory? It never got higher than 110 I don't think, definitely never hit 120, and swayed between 90-100 which I presume means the pump was still getting bits of water through...

Map

post-13083-0-10718500-1429944024.jpg

Don't know re the over heat but the otters witch should be wired in with 2 separate loops of wire according to the service manual not a plastic cable tie. Probably  easier to take the whole pipe off and do it on the bench rather than leaning over the engine.

. Thanks yea my fault there. Wires now used, they won't stretch!