free hit
counters
Where does all the water go? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ajheath

Where does all the water go?

My GT3 has developed quite a thurst.  After a run or two I have to top the header tank up with up to 2 litres of water.  Thing is there are no visible leaks or puddles on the floor either when the engine is running or off.  The only thing I can see is what looks like a couple of pink trails from the chargecooler pump, running down the block.  The expansion tank is at around the right level, so where is it all going?  I dont have the std rad cap on the header tank, is it possible that it's venting out of that?

I am aware that the hoses are all now 19 years old and am going to replace everything as a matter of course, but it just seems odd.

Any words of wisdom?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Get the right cap on then get a pressure test done, this will indicate a leek when static. I had a problem before with the wrong cap but your seems to be a lot of water in a short period of time.

I always have a small leak on the OS (drivers' side) hose going to the radiator, although mine is only a few drops. Check it out though yours might be letting out more water. 

Have you checked the expansion over flow tank on the left hand side of the boot floor? that can over fill and vent over board which you wouldn't see.Mine was caused by a dodgey cap on the header tank.

There does seem to be always a lot of water in the expansion tank Nick, think I will put the proper cap on the header tank and see what happens.  I am as I aid going to replace all the hoses just because of their age, I did have a leak on the one going to the turbo last year, caused by perishing so I suppose that should be a warning as to the condition of the rest of them.

• Like 1

I fitted a genuine Lotus spec cap,as i said it did sort the problem out.I'm sure you can probably get a non genuine part if you have part number ,maybe there is one on your cap?(assuming it has the correct spec part fitted)

Just had a look in parts manual it states part number .   A082K6042F

It's one that looked nice with a locking tab, im sure it was the right rating but to be honest not sure, so first port of call

Well all sorted, it does seem to have been the cap.  I fitted a new 15psi cap bought for £5 from a locak motor factor, and after a 140 mile run yesterday it's hardly used any.  my investigations did reveal a very slight leak on the chargecooler pump, which fitting an electric one should cure

• Like 1

Nice cheap fix ! On the charge-cooler front when mine leaked  i just changed my impeller and gaskets etc probably 5 years ago, and it still runs as Mr Chapman intended .