free hit
counters
S2.2 Center Console Panel how attached? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
shaman

S2.2 Center Console Panel how attached?

On my car the centre console section (that houses the radio and air vents) seems only to be attached by three small screws to the section housing the window switches other than that it just seems to be sitting in the recess - this can not be right but I can see no obvious fixings or evidence of missing fixings. Any advice on how this section should be attached would be appreciated. Cheers John.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Do you have a pic of the part?

Sound like the same fitment as the s3. IIRC, There should be a lip on that part above the radio aperture but below the upholstered top (facing fwd) which slides into place and secures it to the dash proper, then it just rotates down slightly and gets fixed into place with the screws to the window switch housing.

Edit: seeing Lars comment below, mine is the type with radio and vent apertures only, no control knobs...

Dave

Hi John

In my S3 there is another set screws behind the facia, mounting the consol to the dash board.

You have to pull the knobs for vent and fan speed controls, which will reveal the screws for the facia.

Good luck

Lars

Dave, Lars. Thank you for your thoughts. The s2.2 does sound the same arrangement as the s3 - I imagine the lip section you mention is missing (lost when a PO fitted the stereo). I will have a go at fabricating a replacement. Any pictures anyone has of the part would be a great help although I do appreciate there may not be any available unless someone had the dash in bits! Thanks again. John

Hi Lars. It's just the 3 screws that you can see. I have the same console which was either an option or fitted to the later S2s as standard, I'm not sure.

Pete

Here is two Pictures from my.

Lars

post-5940-0-29695100-1430039729.jpg

post-5940-0-73041200-1430039743.jpg

Here is two Pictures from my.

Lars

I think he needs a picture of the back of the console section, at the top. Thats where the locating tab is mounted.

A few days ago I would have been able to help but just put mine back in!

Sorry for the delay, it's a 740 mile round trip to visit the car....:-)

here's a couple of pics of the arrangement in mine:

image.jpg1_zpsawn6npzg.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsy7sbzbuc.jpg

Gap between tongue and facia lip is 10-12 mm. Any evidence of the rivet holes on yours?

Seen from a bit lower.

Lars

post-5940-0-31218900-1430237206.jpg

I think you guys will find it's a different console. We have the heater controls on the binnacle not on the centre console as per S3/Turbo. Originally the S2 centre console just housed the radio. Later ones as I understand had vents underneath with room for the radio on top.

2014-01-29144314_zpsf74a7dc4.jpg

Correct.

Mine has the heater and vent control below the radio.

Mine is the same layout as yours, Pete...vents only, no controls.

Andy, Pete, Lars, Dave - thanks for your input yes it was the back of the Centre console I needed to see - the pictures are very helpful. Should be no problem fabricating the missing lip section, quite how to fix it in position without disturbing the material covering is another matter. I can see that originally it was pop riveted from the outside. Just out of interest the s2.2 is the same arrangement as the s2 just a stereo and vents with no controls. Cheers John.

Mine is the same layout as yours, Pete...vents only, no controls.

I must be missing the lip too then Dave. After nearly 18 years of ownership, I'm still learning new stuff!

Pete

Closer inspection today seems to suggest that my car never had the lip fitted - seems strange but no evidence of fitting holes etc.

After Petes latest comment, I wondered if it was a later mod to provide a more secure fit...

How do you remove the heater control knobs on an S3 to remove the centre console?

Cheers Mike

The shafts have spring-loaded buttons which engage into the knobs so you have to poke a small screwdriver or something into the hole in the knob to disengage the button then pull off.

Closer inspection today seems to suggest that my car never had the lip fitted - seems strange but no evidence of fitting holes etc.

Hi, I have the same, never had a lip. Seems like a good idea as mine's an awful for against the dash and I can't see that it was ever any better from new.