free hit
counters
Feeling Hot Hot Hot - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
hopo

Feeling Hot Hot Hot

All been a bit hectic in my life recently, new job, new house/renovation work, holiday to Aus, extended stay in an Aussie Hospital and finally im home. in earnest ive not used the Esprit much, had to use it to ferry things to the new house but it hasn't been used in anger. 

The temp has always been great and its kept itself cool throwing no temp related wobblers. (one a few years ago at Donnington when my Thermostat failed - this was duly replaced) But nowthe temp now seems to rocket up. it will warm up quickly then not stop then settle around120/130 - far too high surely?! the fans wont kick in either. the fans seem to kick in independently but they do bring it down. (currently one of the three is not functioning) but surely it shouldn't be going so high in the first place? any ideas why? any pointers would be greatly appreciated. living in London i don't want to use the car with a faulty gauge in traffic as i it would surely not be good for it!

regards,

Jon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Jon, got your text but have been somewhat busy this weekend.

Might be faulty gauge/sender as at those temps the engine wouldn't be happy.  Any performance issues?  Is the heater producing warm air?  Check for flow in the header tank.  Lots of other things to look at, but do the simple stuff .first.  And no, don't drive it in traffic

Check the actual temperatures. Infra red remote reading thermometers are cheap as chips these days..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Mini-Non-Contact-IR-Infrared-Thermometer-Pen-Remote-Sensing-Tester-UK-/251485123110?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8dae7226

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-Non-Contact-IR-Laser-Infrared-Digital-Temperature-Gun-Thermometer-UK-/310646217329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4853f51a71

for example. Seven or eight quid!!! Then you can point the thing at your engine/radiator/hoses etc. and see what the temperatures actually ARE. After which you'll know if you are overheating or have a false indication.

Absolutely!  Wouldn't be without one.  Was going to mention it but didn't want to confuse the poor chap.   :P

Top notch tip - just bought one - going to be checking everything for a week when it comes......

I have two spare original fans. If you decide you need one, let me know.

Is your fuel gauge doing funny things as well? If so then could be voltage regulator

My esprit had this issue, never really Got to the bottom of it but temp sender change fixed it so would suggest that as its cheap and easy. The garage also used a laser thermometer so I have one now.

If it was running that hot it would have pushed  water out of the filler tank.

No word for 9 hours. Maybe his reactor went critical.

Earth calling Hopo.......earth calling Hopo...........nope, his transmitter's dead, he's a goner.

Many thanks for the tips guys! S fountain of knowledge as usual! I think one of them thermometer jobys is s must. U literaly point it and it tells u thd temp? That's very 22nd century! Hoping it's just thd sender.

Hopefully my snazzy new thermometer arrives today/tomorrow. Will let u know what issues I find!

could be the sensor - mine always reads high on the gauge - up and slightly over the notch to the right of 90 - but comes down with fans on to hover above 90 when at temp - has been like this since the sensor was replaced. 

Where does the sensor live? easy replacement? ive wired the fans constantly on for the time being.

On the S3 turbo. the sensor for the temperature gauge is at the top of the big curved pipe at the front of the engine bay...with the earth point for it on a boss cast alongside it. Easy to get at...check the wiring to it as well.

Ok so think I've got to the bottom of this....

Hardly any water in the coolant system! Topped it with plenty of water, how much does it hold? Now the temp gauge will sit nicley just under 90.

Seems to run fine now, hopefully no damage caused

Are you allowed out on your own?

Reminds me of when Chris C. posted that he couldn't understand why the oil wasn't draining out when changing the oil. After a number of posts he came clean and admitted that he'd not undone the sump plug...     :blush:

• Like 1