free hit
counters
Fuel pipe diameter - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
soldave

Fuel pipe diameter

Am looking to possibly replace some/all of the fuel hose on my Eclat, starting with the pipe that runs between the carbs.  That plastic pipe looks like the kind of thing that could become brittle and crack when you least want it to happen!  Does anyone who has done this know the diameter of the hose I'd be needing?

I've seen 3/8" and 1/2" inside diameter fuel line mentioned but if anyone could advise before I purchase it'd be much appreciated :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

3/8

just worked on it this week.

Awesome - thanks for that.

I've heard the fuel line from tank takes a fun route through the chassis - is that right?  If it's just under the chassis I might try and replace it all with braided line or something a bit tougher than the plastic.  Would make it much less brittle and could help with the small air bubbles I sometimes see going up the line into the carbs.

dont use braided. It makes it harder to see when the rubber inside has perished. I had braided fuel pipe on my line up to the carb on the V8 and despite looking new, it was pssing fuel everywhere as it had perished inside and was a fire hazard. It also wasn't old. Braided doesn't really add anything to the protection unless your rallying in my opinion - the braiding will still conduct heat and it is touching the rubber pipe inside.

Yes, the fuel line from the rear runs through the chassis. In truth, the plastic stuff used by lotus in this area seems to be okay if left undisturbed, and on my cars it is the rubber stuff near the pump and carbs that has needed attention. I've never bothered replacing the plastic stuff.

I wouldn't worry at all about the occasional air buble in your pipe to the carbs. The carb bowl itself is a reservoir, and all the pump is doing is keeping the reservoir full as it gets used up.

• Like 1

Gotcha - non-braided.  Love this forum - a whole bunch of information and learning for me :)

How far back do the rubber piping near the carbs and forward from the pump go?  Am asking all these questions mainly due to me being stuck away from the car (so not entirely due to my laziness!),and so I can work out how much line I'd need to buy.

"How far back do the rubber piping near the carbs and forward from the pump go?"

Just forward of the gearbox from memory. The two eclats I own have been much chopepd about by previous owners, so I'm not sure if this is the same on all other cars, but it is on mine.

• Like 1

Replacement fuel line tends to have a thicker outside diameter than the original, which was not armoured or multi-layer in any way.

As a result you will need probably need to engage a couple of the holes thought the chassis to make it fit.  Not a biggie, but just something to bear in mind.  You'll need some suitable sized grommets for these too, if you want to do the job properly/ 

Took the old hard fuel line between carbs and going back to near the gearbox off today and found that on my Eclat it's not 3/8" or even 9mm.  Looks like 8mm will fit snugly over the nipples at the end.

i just replaced the fuel cut off and added new hose from there to the carb, 8mm it is. 

Edited by Mark Wainwright
  • Like 1

Was taking a look at the fuel pipe that goes back from the carbs down towards the chassis, and found this at the bottom (see pics below).  Is this a filter?  I thought that the filter was was in the boot, close to the tank & pump.  It also looks like it's been on there quite a while.  Haven't taken it off or anything as I'd like to know what I'm removing before I pull it.

Come on guys - help a simpleton out here! :)

2015-11-29 12.03.55.jpg

2015-11-29 12.04.41.jpg

Edited by soldave

Its the fuel cut off valve, very important to stop fuel syphoning from the tank when the ignition is off.:o

Of course it is!  Just couldn't see it on diagrams so had me a little confused!  So is there a nipple on the carb side of that valve that I can just connect the new hose to, once I've got the old hose and fitting off?

Dave, 2 types are available - yours, where one side is 'push on' and one side has a threaded fitting, the other type has 2 push on fittings:

flowlock.png.19dd37249d992e12ddaf6f514c6

I assume from the picture that it is essentially a switch which only allows fuel to flow when the ignition is on.

SJS has the one above listed but not the one like yours as far as I can see - not sure why the 2 types or when one overtook the other?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  Think I'll leave mine as is for now, unless I can find a threaded fitting to nipple, so I can secure the new hose.