free hit
counters
Should they have called it Exige? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
simon mac

Should they have called it Exige?

Having got 300 miles through my running in period, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that maybe Lotus have shot themselves in the foot a little, by calling the car Exige.

Ok you might all think I'm mad!

So I'll explain it's such a different car, and I wonder if like me reusing the name is actually counter productive.

Having had both an Elise and an S2 Exige S in the past, the Exige was on my radar as my next daily driver about a year ago (I do so few miles as long as the car has a roof it works for me).  However the £60k price just didn't gel because I was comparing it to an Elise platformed car. 

Don't get me wrong, the Elise is a great car. Is at a great car that can command £60k, not really, no matter how many spoliers it comes with from the factory. 

Now every external body panel is different, the sub-frames are different, the cars is wider and longer externally, the only real commonality is the interior (and in premium, this is slightly debatable). It really feels like a different car completely. I made a mistake based on my preconceptions of the name.

Now things are rectified. I bought the Roadster as a weekend car, over a Zenos E10S, because after sitting down, and realising I like raw (some would say masochistic) feeling road cars, a roof was needed and frankly there isn't much that ticks those boxes, other than the Exige.

Given the 50/50 deal put me in a similar cashflow position, I figured I'd try the Exige.  I'm so glad I did.

I'm now not regretting just having bought one a year ago, as my only car!

Personally I think they should have stuck with the "E" theme and simply called it the Lotus Epic ;)

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I don't care what they call it, it's just flipping awesome! Collected mine Saturday lunchtime and I've done 200 miles already! What has really impressed me is the way it soaks up bumps which in my S2 would crash through the chassis. And the noise of the V6 even with a 4k rev limit it sounds fab!

I think retaining the Exige name is fine. The Exige has become a completely separate model line to the Elise. Hence having an Exige Roadster and an Elise - totally different cars and price points.

Lotus have a history of reusing model names - the original Elan, the M100 Elan and the aborted Bahar Elan. The Exige has in both S1 and S2 forms been the hard-core model in the line up, and the V6 Exige continues that (both Coupe and Roadster). All Lotus dealers have to do to convince people it's a £60k car is get them to drive it!

I'm not sure I agree it's more hardcore (at least in Roadster premium trim with heated seats A/C, reversing sensors, etc. etc.) . MUCH faster, yes, more hardcore... 

If anything I'd say it's less hardcore than my old Exige S 220. The V6 is faster, but it's also a better all-rounder.

(The most "hardcore" Lotus to me is probably the Elise S Cup.  OK not the fastest, but probably most single minded. )

I completely agree: Once you test drive one, the name is irrelevant, and the £60k price starts seeming a bargain :)

Personally I just think they'd have got more people in through the door to actually take up that test-drive by distancing it a little from the Elise/Exige. Calling the Elise Cup an Exige (after all it's darn close bar the rear hatch), and however cynically call the V6 something else would have probably got more punters considering it. (Myself included)

Lotus naming is always a mystery to me though. It's plain confusing. I've had "S" cars which depending on the model are either top or bottom of the performance range :D

I don't care what they call it, it's just flipping awesome! Collected mine Saturday lunchtime and I've done 200 miles already! What has really impressed me is the way it soaks up bumps which in my S2 would crash through the chassis. And the noise of the V6 even with a 4k rev limit it sounds fab!

Completely agree it's awesome! 

The chassis seems so much better than any S2 I've driven. Oh and the noise is just wicked :D

I picked mine up Saturday lunchtime too. I'm already at 370 miles ;)  Might get my full 1000 miles in under a week :D

Completely agree it's awesome! 

The chassis seems so much better than any S2 I've driven. Oh and the noise is just wicked :D

I picked mine up Saturday lunchtime too. I'm already at 370 miles ;)  Might get my full 1000 miles in under a week :D

Couldn't agree more with these comments - I picked up a used 2015 plate Coupe last weekend, and it is an incredible car.  Even a prior test drive did not show me how brilliant this car is.  So glad I made this choice (from a Porsche Boxster), epic is the right word!

• Like 2

:thumbsup:

Welcome to TLF and the Light Side of the Force :D

• Like 1