free hit
counters
Water Pump Removal - Hot Tip! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
cammmy

Water Pump Removal - Hot Tip!

Hi Guys

Just been chatting to PNM and they've given me a hot tip for removing the water pump without having to pull off the cam pulley.

Apparently you can get a 10mm open ended spanner down behind the pulley and onto the bolt. You loosen it enough to disengage the bolt from the threads and then pull the pump out and sideways with the bolt still through it. They then recommend replacing it with a cap head bolt for easy removal in future.

Will give it a go in the next few days.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, it's possible - I've done it once. The only potential issue is using an open end on a tight bolt. Doesn't take much to chew it!

Valid point, they aren't done up tight though so hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

This is how I have always done it and replaced with a simple cap screw for easier removal next time round.

I got some advice from Geoff at esprit engineering: he said wind it out with a socket, forcing it around the pulley, thus bending the old bolt slightly. Then replace with a cap head Allen bolt as per the advice from PNM.

I'll be doing cambelt and water pump at the weekend so will no doubt find out which is best...!

I tried all manner of spanners to get that damn bolt out and no luck, the cam pulley had to come off, which was a job in it's own right. Probably didn't try THE spanner though and didn't replace the bolt with a cap head either. Double damn.

Well, this was a failure. Could get it on there and move it but not enough to get the spanner around again to continue. So i could only move it forward or backward half a flat

I had to remove my auxiliary pulley to get to the offending bolt, even with the engine out.

My pulley took a bit of getting out. Had to get a puller on it in the end. The usual story, alloy on steel.

I have a shallow puller specifically for that. VW cam sprocket removal tool.

It helps when crawling under an Esprit.

I have a shallow puller specifically for that. VW cam sprocket removal tool.

Picture? Source? Thanks!

You're in for some fun getting that cam pulley off, hopefully your's isn't as stuck as mine was. The cam puller I used wasn't ideal as I had to cut away part of the car to make it fit. More images in this thread.

tdc_11.jpg

Cam puller

Sprocket holding tool

I found it impossible refitting the water pump with damaging the paper gasket so resorted to using Loctite SI 5699 Premium Silicone Grey Gasket Maker/Sealer instead.

I'm pretty sure the Lotus service notes I have don't mention a paper gasket (it says to use a bead of some Permabond), but the thin paper one is shown in the parts manual. I bought one and used it, along with a thin smear of Hermatite red either side, and replaced it with a stainless steel caphead bolt in place of the awkward hex-head. I'm assuming that the turbo SE is the same as the S4/S4s in this.

I've had to get a sprocket puller and grind back the fiberglass in that area. Need an extra pair of hands with the puller though.

I've got sprocket holder now too.

Just want to get this done!

I'm pretty sure the Lotus service notes I have don't mention a paper gasket.

When I spoke to Geoff at Esprit Engineering he said Lotus haven't used a WP gasket since 1987.

He advised using an RTV type silicone sealant. I used Proseal Blue on mine.

I'm sure he's right. As long as it doesn't leak, then we'll all be happy.

I'm sure he's right. As long as it doesn't leak, then we'll all be happy.

It doesn't leak.

I think the issue with the gasket is that it's just one more thing to keep in place, especially if (like me) you're doing it with the engine in. Engine out will obviously be much easier. 

Access issues aside I guess with or without the gasket is equally 'technically' fine.

I got this off last weekend. Had to grind back the fibreglass and also one of those little chef's blowtorches to warm the pulley helped.

Does anyone know the required dimensions for the replacement cap head bolt?

Edited by cammmy

Ordered 10 M6 x 45 cap heads for £1.70 off ebay. Will confirm if they are correct.