free hit
counters
AccuSpark for Esprit S1 ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jonroberts

AccuSpark for Esprit S1 ?

Folks,

I'm thinking about replacing the original 25D distributor in my Esprit S1 for a complete AccuSpark replacement with the electronic pickup. Mainly because adjusting/checking the points is such a pain and I'd like to fit and forget it!

AccuSpark offer the 25D4 and also a 45D4 - should I consider the 45D4, or stick with the 25D ? What are the differences ?

Also, does anybody have any experience of these units, particularly whether the ignition advance curve will match the original Lotus 907 profile ?

Cheers - Jon. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've got an unused accuspqrk 45 dizzy on eBay at the moment

Will gladly sell it to you for £10

I've got the 25D Accuspark unit in my S1. Had it over a year and no issues. I just set it up with a decent timing gun, snap on I think, much better spark than with points and as a result runs better that with points and like you say no hassle.

I hope I've not tempted fate now!

Edited by Winners
  • Like 1

I've got an unused accuspqrk 45 dizzy on eBay at the moment

Will gladly sell it to you for £10

Hi Barry - sounds good - sent you a PM.

Which model AccuSpark 45D is it? Hows the advance curve?

45D appears to be a more appropriate choice due to the larger distributor cap to avoid terminal arcing. 

I've been having discussions with Simon at Powerspark about their kits, but looking for some forum input on my upgrade choices. He's given me the choice of running with the standard coil or 'upgrading' to a high energy one. Is there really much benefit in replacing the standard coil with a 'high energy' one on a stock 2.0L 907 ?  I'll need to have Barrys 45D re-curved as its not correct for this application anyway  :cry:  so while I'm at it..

My S1 has a coil with a ballast wire feeding it. I know I'll have to run a new 12v wire from the fusebox to feed a non ballast coil - is there any disadvantages to this ? I understand why ballasted coils are good for cold-starting, so it seems a bit of a backward step in removing it. But nobody seems to use ballasted coils any more, so is it really still a problem?

Decisions, decisions..

Bit of an update. I got Barry's 45D but after talking to Simon at Powerspark, he told me the curve was wrong and his cost to re-curve it wasn't much less than one of his new distributors. So I bought a new 'high energy' 43D. This is the same as a 45D body, but without the vacuum advance capsule which isn't used on the S1 and in some cases fouls the end of the oil filter. I also bought a Lucas DLB198 high energy coil.  I got the 43D over a replacement 25D because it has a larger cap and lead spacing which (allegedly) cope with the high voltage better.

Before ripping it all out this evening, I took distributor advance measurements from the running engine, from idle up to 4000rpm with an adjustable timing light. Plot and graph with my friend Mr Excel and it looks like this with a 7degree static timing :

post-3309-0-26488200-1431715944.png

It seems close to the data given in the maintenance manual (0 advance to 1000, then 25 degrees all in by 3500rpm). Mine is a little more advanced at the top end which I'll put down to wear.  Another thing I noticed at higher RPM's was that the timing was no longer stable and jumped around 5 degrees or so either way. So I suspect my original distributor also has some wear in the shaft causing the points to wander their opening/closing position a bit.

Tomorrow I'm going to replace the distributor and coil and rewire the LT wiring to remove the resistive wire from the circuit. The new coil is a non-ballasted type so requires a full 12v and not the 9v that the original coil got through the resistive wire. 

Another update tomorrow..

Really didn't know there was curve issues??? That me learning something.

I thought everything had vacuum advance??

Hope the new fit all goes well.........

Yeah, no worries Barry. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty tomorrow after a few hundred miles event free driving over the last couple of weekends!

Impressive work there Jon logging your advance curve. I hope the installation goes smoothly.

Brian

Hi jon,

do you know what the number is on the original ditributor cam arm? Is it 8 degrees?

A few of us with later cars have simons distributors and they seem to be fine. Certainly allows us  with the problematic amp module to delete it and remove one source of problems. 

The PowerSpark 43D replacement distributor I bought leaks oil :huh: . As does Fabians and Pauls. It has no internal oil seal and because its mounted horizontally, oil leaks inside it, into the cap and down the engine. Not good at all I'm afraid. Its coming out.

Fabian - I don't have my original 25D distributor to hand (actually I can't find it in the garage!) but I'm fairly certain that the cams were 8 degree when I took it apart - giving 16 degree advance total, which is the book figure.

Thanks Jon. Am going to invest in a variable timing light and plot the advance curve like you did. I've already replaced the points with the electronic system., the distributor is in good nick with little wear and the internal oil seal is also good. Fingers crossed!

So is the conclusion that the PowerSpark doesn't have an oil seal and will leak but that the AccuSpark does?

I don't have an AccuSpark one to compare with I'm afraid, but the PowerSpark 43D definitely does not have an internal seal.

Are you going to send it back Jon?

Didn't you say the advance curve was also wrong? Mine should have had 16 degrees of advance and SJ measured it to be 25 degrees!! I got a refund on mine.

Mine was same Paul - curve incorrect. I have their agreement to return it, just haven't done so yet.

What a pain in the a**e!

What are you going to replace it with?

Dont think any new distributors can be trusted to have the correct seals or advance curve. I think the best solution is to have the original distributor refurbed, the advance curve checked/reset if required and the points changed over to electronic. Once I've tested the engine will have the distributor refurbed over the winter.

That's basically what I have done via SJ. £90 + VAT for an exchange distributor seemed pretty fair to me as distributor doctor wanted nearly £200 to refurbish my original. I ditched the points in favour of an electronic replacement - at £30 it's a no brainer as points were never that reliable in any car. I changed them in my Daughter's Mini about a year ago and it starts every time on the button.

I took my 25D distributor apart to check the cam advance and the marking on the cam shows 11 degrees, not 8 as I previously guessed.

Jon which unit did you use to replace your points?

AAAh so that is where my oil leak is coming from.....powerspark dizzy. I wonder if the original shaft with oil seal will fit into the powerspark body?

Phil