free hit
counters
Overheating when Accelerating HELP ! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
WT2002CARS

Overheating when Accelerating HELP !

I have my dream 1999 Lotus Esprit V8 twin turbo 54,000 miles.

Have just had engine completely rebuilt and picked it up today from shop after an 8 month wait.

Drove for 20 kilometers cruising around 120km and running great then i decide to give it some and drop down a gear and accelerate away then to my surprise the vehicle overheats within a minute to top of gauge and coolant pouring out of overflow i shut it off and let it cool down a little, I then unscrew the coolant tank cap and more coolant bubbles and spews out.

I have left vehicle in garage.

Any ideas ?? I'm so fed up. I have checked Rad and had new thermostat, all new heads gaskets etc as just rebuilt.

Thanks

Wayne

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Wayne,

I would take the car straight back to whoever rebuilt the engine and get them to look at it. Definitely not right.

Pressure test the system and make sure it and the caps hold the correct psi.

The early V8 manual said 15psi, but then later it changed to 20PSI (140kPa), some reported pressure caps at 21psi.

But it sounds like you have a head gasket leak forcing the coolant out!!!

Get the compression tested!

Also you can do a chemical sniffer test to look for exhaust gasses in the coolant.

Thanks Travis looks like i shall replace all 3 caps and the Rad needs replacing to.

Hi Wayne,

We are having the same issue, overheats only under boost 500 miles after rebuild we are sensing it might be an issue with the head gaskets not being OE did you get this resolved?

Thanks,

Stewart 

Edited by Stewart's Auto