free hit
counters
Help identifying this? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all,

Does anyone recognise this tie rod? I've looked through the parts manual, and can't find anything even remotely similar. It's about a metre long.

IF it's off the Lotus, it was probably from the front end and to do with the rads or air con mounting...Dad took that lot apart some years ago, but can't remember exactly what it's for.

There is, however, the possibility that it's not from my car ( 82 s3 n/a) at all ...

image.jpg1_zpsszl9iay8.jpg

TIA

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Form experience on my own car, also an S3 NA, is that it is not from your car. Confusingly it looks identical to the Rad duct stay but it's too long. Unless those paving slabs are really small of course!! 

Thanks Nic, that's the way I'm leaning too.

Also, the metal it's made from seems somehow too light to have come from a car of that era, even one of ours :-;

Unless anyone else can say otherwise?

Dave

It looks very similar to the bars I had made up to support the tailgate when I was lifting out my engine, one end looped onto the locking pin on the tailgate while the other end went onto the locating pin for the gas struts. This held the tailgate open so I could work on my own without having to take the tailgate off for the engine change. Nifty little piece of metal saved me so much work.

Thanks John,

It's definitely not from that area - I took that lot apart, but I'll bear it in mind for when the tailgate goes back on again! Then I'll keep it for the inevitable future engine removal if I can't find a use for it :-)

I'm sure that's a stay bar from the radiator area....".

Thanks Barry,

Have to check against yours when I drop in. I'll have it with me...still on for Monday week from my end...

• Like 1

The stays are only about 12 inches long. As said before, too long.

Same fabrication however....

• Like 1

Can't imagine it being from the car.......

• Like 1

Thanks all,

will keep it to hand just in case, but refrain from repainting til I know for sure

Dave