free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 15 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rolls

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Hi Rolls. Once the body is off jacking and moving it around can cause the cross member mountings to fall off with the strain, pulling away from the fiberglass. My crossmember had come off with the mountings, so I knew the mountings had failed. If he cross member is off there is no strain on the mounts when you move the body. I would leave it off and Just check the crossmember mountings are securely attached to the body before you finally put it all back together. Otherwise    you could bolt the crossmember on and have the whole thing detach later on. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good point thanks Fabian.

Quick question - should I remove the sills? I seem to recall reading somewhere - avoid unless absolutely necessary. Is there any other way of inspectiing the seat bolt anchors? Is there a good thread on the best method?

thanks,

I don't see what the problem is taking them off, apart from the work - although I havnt done it myself. But will be inspecting the belt and handbrake plates in mine and taking them off completely, if necessary. One of the belt bolts had sheared in my S1 and it took hours of drilling to remove it. Would have been much easier to put a new plate in but the body had been sprayed, so no choice. News the time to sort all this or regret it later. Have just been trying to clean my Turbo chassis, It's pissing in the wind. I'm moving in a year and when I do every nut and bolt is coming off!

Roland,  As you have gone this far it would be a shame not to pull the sills off the car,  not only for the safety reason to check the sealbelt anchors but for the sake of a few hours work will be a much more tidy restoration.  Matt on these forums recommends a long steel rule and tapping it with a hammer to split the sealant from the body and sill,  obviously after drilling out the pop Rivets lol.  

I think it gives a longer lasting,more robust effect to the paint job also, as everything gets painted individually,  as if you leave the sills  on the paint does not really get in all the nooks and crannies properly such as the long recess line between the sill and body. 

Give Matt a pm and ask for some pointers :thumbup:

A

This is what my seat belt anchor points looked like, basically a death trap...

DSCF0435.JPG

DSCF0436.JPG

I used wooden wedges to help remove the sills. I then had new brackets made out of stainless steel which were also painted - should outlast me now...

DSCF0429.JPG

DSCF0443.JPG

• Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Now that is the way to do it Paul , If you are going to do it, do it properly :thumbup:

A

Wow - that gives my confidence. I was under the impression it is a pig of a job. Off they come!

Another strip out question. Should I retain the original fire wall sound deadening sheets if I clean them up? Keeps things original. Intend to insulate the rest of the car as well.IMG_1016.thumb.JPG.11b164045f4940e0b92a63a0c1bf54cc.JPG

Personal preference. I used mine as they were in good nick.

17 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

DSCF0435.JPG

DSCF0436.JPG

I used wooden wedges to help remove the sills. I then had new brackets made out of stainless steel which were also painted - should outlast me now...

DSCF0429.JPG

DSCF0443.JPG

Great, thanks, I will put that on my to do list

Only here once

Does anyone know if the sills can be removed with the fuel tanks in situ ?   I think there are rivets under the tank area ?  But with the amount of turbo esprit replicas that have been done in the past i would say it is more likely that the tanks have not been removed on all of these conversions,  as it was always sills, lourves, and front valance.  excluding the rear spolier for obvious reasons. 

A

4 hours ago, Rolls said:

Another strip out question. Should I retain the original fire wall sound deadening sheets if I clean them up? Keeps things original. Intend to insulate the rest of the car as well.

Surely modern materials would work much better here? I installed Dynamat in the whole interior including the firewall. If you want additional insulation you can also Dynaliner over the top of it. 

The old insulation I pulled out was very heavy, absorbed moisture, and from all reports didn't do a very good job of insulation against heat or noise. I binned it all. 

• Like 1

Fuel tanks need to be kicked out - there are four rivets in the section that follows the sill line.

I'll get them soda blasted and if they look good I will leave them. 

Yes Antonio may be right about the modern sound insulation,  I would fit that stuff just on the basis that it look shiny and makes the esprit cabin look a less depressing place when it has no interior fitted,  I hate the look of that old black stuff and bare fiberglass :)

Cheers for the info on the rivets Roland,  I thought to do the job properly they may need to come out,  I wonder how people did a lot of the turbo clones,  I bet a lot of the sills just got ripped off in that area, as i cant see all of the conversions removing the tanks for a quick visual fix ?

Regarding your tanks Roland, get the bloke doing the blasting to go in hard on the tanks, that way if they pinhole they are shot,  and if they survive hard shot they will be decent to paint up.  Would be sad to do a full resto and have the car spring a leak and risk a potential fire for the sake of a thin pin hole. :thumbup:

A

23 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

DSCF0435.JPG

DSCF0436.JPG

DSCF0429.JPG

DSCF0443.JPG

"This is what my seat belt anchor points looked like, basically a death trap..."

It's much, much safer with those in, now for the rest of the design! ???????

Looking at esprit crashes though, the esprits have always come of pretty well,  In terms of safety i think they are pretty good, yes probably not to today standards but back then it was like a little safety cell imo. :)

A

Does anyone know why I keep getting error 200 when trying to load photos?

No but have you got the sills off? I'm doing this soon.

Would love to post some pics etc. but won't let me post any. 

Hopefully one of the mods will chip in a sort it out hopefully ?   Have you had it shotblast yet ?

A

Not yet - 6 week wait. Due to go within the next week.

Doors are so unnecessarily complicated. Dash was a snap which was a surprise. Sunroof is out. I think I will go for the 'graft new roof' option - in the long run it will be a better repair.

Stripped down to a shell. Scares the bejesus out of me. I keep looking at all the parts not knowing where to begin. So I've decided to start making gin instead. 

So what is the current plan then regards body prep for paint, are you getting it media blasted then handing it over to someone else, or are you going to have a crack at the roof graft and body prep yourself after the media blasting :)  I dont think you will a drama remembering where all the bits go, as if you do plenty of folks on here to help you when it comes to it when the old grey matter has missing bits lol.    

I think the main problem is finding places to store all the bits that come off myself,  its nice to have a sort of clean room area where you can store all the new and restored parts and an unclean area for all the crap bits tht need still need doing lol.  Currently with 2 esprit s2 stripped down i have just unclean rooms l :( With a few nice finshed parts lol

A

My place is clean - I would go nuts otherwise.

current plan is:

blast

finish  any additional fiberglassing repairs (I have already done the majority)

graft new roof

skim coat  in filler - felxi spatula style oppos d to spraying.

Sand off.

Then palm off to some unlucky pannelbeater To finish off. 

Same way they do the 308 ferrari's

• Like 1

IMG_1239.JPG.17c1f6aea58dcdd92f23e576cc1f9963.JPGIMG_1240.JPG.954d57d9e1440c6bcfd5adef32ac6be2.JPGIMG_1241.JPG.d39affa545f648e479bca61dc2b5a658.JPGHere are some close up pics of the windscreen fixing. I could never find anything online so here it is. My windscreen is original. Interesting to note the silicon came off in one piece - super strong stuff!

• Like 1