free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 16 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rolls

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Roland you do not old enough to drive :P    Fantastic work, to be honest it looks like you have made it pretty simple for the media blasters, i would ask them for a discount ! 

Look forward to seeing her back stripped clean paint wise,  are you not pulling the sills off,  would be a good idea before it goes to the blasters........................

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hoping to although looks like it's a major job and may not have time before it goes.

I have already drilled out the rivets.

Hoping to, although looks like it's a major job and may not have time before it goes. I have already drilled out the rivets.

look at what I found in the door. I can't even work out what part it is - just dust!

IMG_0515.JPG.fb7363591adcdcb9ce901d2dc3d0435e.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG.0c7100a20dbd893f81386be415c2e7b8.JPG

The sills just need spliting Roland if you have all the rivets drilled out,   the only thing that remains would be to break the sealant away and the sill should pop off,  it will make for a much cleaner finish and you need to get to the seat belt anchors anyway.

Door rust wise i would say that is from the metal retaining strip that holds the outer door weathershield on i.e the one that the fine threaded bolts weld themselves on to the nuts with rust ?

A

Glad you managed to get them off Roland,  Makes for a much better finish imo,  You are very lucky to have the anchor plates in such good nick !  But well worth checking as if they had been bad you would of never known,  Given the choice of spending a few hours pulling the sills or you or passenger going head first through the windscreen in an accident due to rotten anchors.  You made the right choice :thumbup:

Cant wait to see this thing stripped and that hole in the roof filled in :)

A

Off she goes!

IMG_1319.thumb.JPG.35642c3743f74f8a3efa16ab30f4c316.JPG

I've been told again that the best thing to do is tissue the whole body once I get it back! So confusing.....

• Like 1

Very interesting thread.

Can't wait for the next instalment. I'll create one in time, once I make some headway with my S1 restoration.

Thanks Fabian. The end or the beginning of the end? ? 

There's a months worth of work in the front drivers guard alone. Looks very festy, I'll post some close ups once it's home.

Then there's the roof. I have no idea what's the game plan. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Door beam question. I would like to dress these so they look new again. Has anyone tried hydroblasting them?

IMG_0515.JPG.7c5bc66623e77366ab20fc362522c3be.JPG

Shell looks great Rolls! Glad to see your doors look like mine too, the rough cut out on the left side in the fore of the above picture. Did you notice any inconsistency in the door tops when they were complete and on the car?

30 minutes ago, Rolls said:

Door beam question. I would like to dress these so they look new again. Has anyone tried hydroblasting them?

I cleaned mine up and had them anodised. Came up pretty nice.

The door beam. One of my next tasks. After fitting the engine and gearbox into the rolling chassis/sub-frame.

21 hours ago, GTK said:

Did you notice any inconsistency in the door tops when they were complete and on the car?

No I didn't. What am I missing?

hydroblasting gives the surface a mild peening. I'll give it a crack and report back with the results. 

Oh no nothing! Wasn't in reference to your doors. Before stripping you could see the inside of the outer skin above the door card whilst sitting inside my car.  It's as if the outer rubber seal was placed too high or the door card was set too low. But when I stripped everything I realised the door card can only really go where it goes, likewise the outer trim. So unless I've missed something I have a duff door!? I'm wondering do I chalk that up to "Lotus build quality" but I couldn't imagine a car leaving the factory with that glaring an inconsistency.

Good luck with the hydroblasting!

Radiator pipes running through chassis:

These are too prohibitive to ship to Australia. I therefore need to make up a pair.

I still haven't resolved bending the 90 degree ends on these pipes. A supplier tried using a cad machine and just shredded the aluminium. He's had numerous attempts.

Is there a better method? What about filling with sand and using heat?

Any tips?

They must bend tubes where you are also surely?

Plumber?

They do but it's $350 minimum handling charge. Plus materials etc.

Does anyone know the exact measurements so I order the right stock?

Fiberglassing fun. I have Fiberglass dust coming out of every crevasse on my body.

IMG_1849.thumb.JPG.c4f7b2280387ddbc37f616b6e6d83f73.JPG

reseated the bobbins.

IMG_1851.thumb.JPG.55e16d5759fe4406012975a26fc7684d.JPG

Unfortunately I can't post any more pics.

Where was this fuel pump located?

I've just found my old SU pump and bracket loose in a box of parts for my late S1.

On 2015-5-24 at 14:17, Rolls said:

And so the restoration begins..... I've taken hundreds of photos. The car appears to be unmolested which is great. I spent an hour or so "WD40-ing" every single nut I could find. I find the more time you give this stuff to work the better.

1st task - seats out. Always love the little bits you find under the seats. An ear ring, two spanners, some coins, broken glass....

The runners where rusted to the carpet. Rusty crap everywhere. I would daresay the result of a leaky sunroof. The seat rails are cactus. The top and bottom rails are fused together. I therefore cannot access the front screws that affix the rails to the seat. Rather than try to slide the rail forward by taping it to reveal the bolt (which would risk shearing the bolts off) I will use my cutoff wheel to essentially cut the rails off. In doing so I will save the seat to rail bolts. Please chime in if you have other thoughts.

post-18969-0-61648700-1432472793.jpgpost-18969-0-21229000-1432472833.jpg

2nd task: disconnect piping from fuel pump to body. Side note - I intend to keep the car as original as possible. I would dearly love to restore the original pump opposed to replace. Has anyone tried to do this or am I dreaming?

post-18969-0-68027000-1432473005.jpg

Where was this fuel pump located?

I've just found my old SU pump and bracket loose in a box of parts for my late S1.