free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 20 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rolls

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Don’t worry folks - I’m still alive. Enjoying some quality Fiberglass Time 👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼

The body is currently upside down getting some roof work.

Does anyone know if new headlight pods are available for sale? If so, where?

thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Glad you are still cracking on with it Roland,  As Fabian said,  SJ are your best bet,  however postage will be expensive, but the items themselves are not to expensive,  I can see your reasoning though as your pods looked in very poor condtion from your pictures,  They also tend to warp over the years on the large flat panneled surface at the top.   Glad your are also moving onto the roof area.  

Please keep us posted with pictures as you move on with the project.   :)

A

Latest instalment of the sunroof infill saga. Very confident this finish will be perfect. B3177FC2-5047-48BB-83FA-A7148EDC9A47.thumb.jpeg.08d541bce6b8780dfab06e12cf9c165e.jpeg

The inner ring is the section that was carefully feathered. 

Then, the whole underside section was glassed. 

Question re. contours - how sharp is the main ridge contour on the S2 (running ontop of the front guards that then run along the doors to the top rear spoiler section). My car has been sprayed so many times it’s hard to tell.

• Like 2

Looking great Roland, glad to see that hole finally filled.

Just don't paint it and keep it as a clear panoramic roof to let the light in lol.

keep the posts coming, must be getting near a primer coat on the body soon ?

A

I’m tipping another year before she’s painted. I’m glad I haven’t stated the engine rebuild....

A heap of sanding to go. It’s astonishing how much work goes towards a perfect body.

• Like 1

Roland, I'll try to gauge the radius of the fender creases in the morning or as soon as I remember to do it thereafter!

Late now, bone weary from ice hockey, looking forward to the couch and a first peek at Paul Ricard since '80's GP TV.

Hi Roland 

You can't rush perfection  

Have a look at the thread S2 shutlines as the forum member Changes has done a decent write up on G car body prep 

With some intresting products and techniques that may be ideal for you to consider using at this stage in your project.

Keep the pics coming ! 

A

Nice work Rolls. Just looking at the pic of your roof, have you pulled off the wooden rail for the visor?

He has pulled everything off it !  The shell is bare bones, proper strip down  job :thumbup:

A

George, what's your concern with regard to the wooden header rail? Mine is off pending tidy up of the headliner area.

Just about finished coffee and haven't forgotten about Rolls' wish for guidance on the fender crease profile. Shall be ready with that in the next several hours.

I repaired the wooden header rail last week having separated it from the interior trim. Filled the holes with wood filler and sanded the whole thing down to tidy up.

It'll be screwed back next week, along with fixing with PU adhesive prior to the new windscreen going in.

I don't see a problem with this area.

no concern intended lads, just couldn't decide if I was imagining it being out in the pic or not. Haven't pulled mine off, but then haven't investigated it other than a tertiary glance and all seems well.

For what it's worth I've cobbled up a simple AL profile pattern, picture attached. The inner radius was formed bending around a 3/8 drill shank in the vise. This is on an S2 from which the white filler/primer was just barely sanded through to the grey base primer. All layers are notably thin, gelcoat included. This car was never re-sprayed, first time down through the factory coats.  Hope that will be of some worth as it's most worthwhile that the original crease lines be preserved.

Cheers

IMG_2941.JPG

• Thanks 1

Excellent. Good to know that peak is original. 

Next question. How do I determine where the underbody starts and finishes throughout the car (even though it’s black on black)? Keen to ensure its factory correct.

wheel arches:

engine bay:

sills:

Lower bumpers:

door frames:

On 20/05/2018 at 08:54, Rolls said:

B7AFBDE0-69D5-43BF-A259-794FD1AE5CE2.thumb.jpeg.65f6b3974b4abbbecf5a5514d9afedf1.jpegFlattening out the panels to remove any waves. Lots and lots of sanding.

A27B2DF9-3D22-4276-9BF0-8949A7CB5E31.thumb.jpeg.f31452a047009273043ce8a25f50968e.jpeg

Learning how to contour sand. Quite rewarding recreating creases and edges.

89DB5531-8769-4029-95F4-75CA4382E883.thumb.jpeg.1b099e2de414c1e230786998a005157b.jpeg

Great job Rolls, I really admire your dedication you will have one of the best cars around when it’s done! Shame you don’t live in the UK I could do with some help, especially if I do a third car! 

Your fibreglass skills have really come on, so have m8ne after almost four years of practice!

Keep up the good work👍👍👍👍

You going to build the white bond turbo then Fabian ! Not sure your heart could take another compomotive search lol.

A

Has anyone drawn up a diagram of what to paint and where to finish and start around the boot, arches, doors etc.

Need to start thinking about painting later this year.

Didn't need a diagram. Just collated photos from original cars that had never been resprayed.

Black areas in the main seem similar across the S1 & S2 models, but there are descrepencies due to different production times and/or staff.

Can't speak to all areas but I do know that the intake 'ears' should be black as should the metal rear 1/4 window retaining plate. Also the whole of the lower front dam/splitter section. These are all places where people tend to take artistic license ;) 

Couple of reference shots in this article with @Matt-watts

Great. Are there any other posts that stand out? I’ve seen so many I can’t recall who has the best close up pics. 

Does anyone have a period correct photo of the door hinge mechanism please? Trying to figure out what’s painted, what’s treated etc.

Given I’ve gone to the trouble might as well ensure it’s period correct.

• Like 1

I can't post photos, or know the original colour of the door hinges.

However, the door bar, which retains the bushes, is unpainted aluminium. The hinges of my S1 are satin black.