free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 21 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rolls

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow, great job! Did you make a mould from the original arch?

Fantastic work Roland  :thumbup:  That is what i call glass work skills,  I  think you have mastered it know !

Lovely work Rolls. So the arches are symmetrical fore to aft?

That Upol reface is a godsend, isn't it?

Excellent as a conversion coat and surface filler. Glad to see you're still cracking on! Should be doing the front bodyline trim on mine today if it doesnt rain.

12 hours ago, GTK said:

Lovely work Rolls. So the arches are symmetrical fore to aft?

Yes it is.

I’ve had a lot of help from some great guys at “quality Fiberglass products”.  One of them has a boat building background. Lots of things has had to be done twice

The biggest waste of time time was trying to hand sanding the car down to the gel coat. I should have bead blasted it from the outset. Wasted over 6 months.

Anyway, mounting the doors and headlight pods next.

Quick question from left field  - Is there a more modern engine and transaxle that is easily transferred into a series 2 that doesn’t require a heap of irresversible modifications? Probably dreaming but worth asking as it will help me get the car on the road sooner..

Im thinking of grabbing something now and then I can take my time with the original engine restoration. 

17 hours ago, Rolls said:

Quick question from left field  - Is there a more modern engine and transaxle that is easily transferred into a series 2 that doesn’t require a heap of irresversible modifications? Probably dreaming but worth asking as it will help me get the car on the road sooner..

Im thinking of grabbing something now and then I can take my time with the original engine restoration. 

Try a Excel HC 912S engine with the new goodies; electronic ignition, 2.5 ltr cilinder/crank . And take your time that is the better way.

• Like 1

Thanks but I’m hoping for something a bit more main stream. Any other suggestions?

There's nothing off the shelf Rolls. Anything you do will need a conversion plate and bespoke mounts. You could try and find an SM engine and bell housing - but no way that's any easier.

The car Dan is referring to can be found here; 

iirc the engine was being removed so maybe there's hope there?

Good luck

• Thanks 1

Slowly getting there with the Fiberglass.

I need to start thinking more seriously about painting. As we all know black is the worst colour for fiberglass. However, I’m conflicted as I would like to keep the vehicle as original as possible.

I was thinking about leaving the car in epoxy primer and then wrapping it. Therefore leaving the final colour option up my sleeve for a later date. This will also keep the glass in better condition. Reduce chipping etc.

What does everyone think?

Your car and your investment. I would do whatever you want with it. It would appear that you are just putting off the decision if you wrap it.

If you wrapped it, what colour would you choose?

:) 

I would commit to the original colour, black, which looks superb on the S2. Vinyl wrapping belongs to a different scene altogether and a classic car should never, ever, ever be wrapped IMO.

Engine transplant idea is intriguing though...

Edited by Freemason

Years ago I saw a ‘non JPS’ S2 in black with a gold pinstripe and it looked stunning, but it is your choice at the end of the day.

Come to think of it....could it have been your car i saw (we are talking late 80’s in Northampton and yours appears to have a Northampton NH reg number?

Black with gold speedlines all day long :)

Not sure how much a wrap is Roland on your side of the pond,  but seems an expensive process and would look more into the affects of wrap on primer and what the effects would be,  

Most wraps now have tiny little holes in the shhet to allow air bubbles to escape during the wrapping process,   which in my eyes would cause water ingress and most primers are pourous apart from sealer primer iirc,  so you could damage all your hard work.

Would be a shame to wrap it at great expense only to peel it a few years later and possibly have a car full of micro blisters in the primer that will of soaked into the glass work ? 

Did you pm about that member about the engine or conversion plate ? 

Paint it the colour you think it'll look coolest in, and if that's a dark colour and you're worried...  park it in shade. I'm with Antonio, wrap has no place on a classic of this calibre.

Done correctly it’s very difficult to tell it’s been wrapped. 99% of people wouldn’t pick it. I’ve seen a Ferrari that’s been wrapped and it’s impressive.

Black is absolutely stunning, but it’s the very worst colour for a glass car. For heat retention (which leads to cracking) and also the time it takes to get it right (like a mirror). My fiberglasser has said it’s not a question of if a black car will crack, it’s a matter of when. 

To wrap a car here is approx $5k AUD using the best materials. To paint in black, to the standard I would want would be $25k +.

I also like the fact that I won’t have to be precious about it. I could drive the car on sunny days. Swirl marks. Scratches (I have kids flying around), Stone chips. Repairs are easy etc. This would also mean I could get the car on the road a LOT sooner.

Remember the wrap can be removed within a few hours and then she can be sent off to the painters at any time for its original skin.

As I’m sure you’ve worked out from my quick fix engine post (whilst I take my time with the original engine), I’m keen to get this thing on the road. I have another two projects coming through and I need it up and running. I can see at least another year of putting it all back together once the body is done.

Fair enough, you seem resolute. What I would say is ask about the primer under the wrap, I'd have thought that for a good result it'll still have to be flatted back to a decent standard anyway, that's a maybe a quarter of the work of a good paint job [I'm guessing]. I'd be concerned that any little pin hole in the wrap as Dan has mentioned is an avenue for moisture. Primer is porous as far as I know so you have no idea what's going on under there. Same goes for whether the bodywork would be any less susceptible to cracking under a black wrap, I mean would the heat transfer or retention be any less than that of a paint job?

Is the car going to be outside a lot? You real worry is the car sitting in direct sunlight for any length of time. In Greece we park the car in the garage or find shade if we're out and about with temps hitting mid 40's more frequently these days. Some carry a thin reflective sun cover onboard, that could be a solution too.

Hello Roland

I too gave some thought to the wrap solution when reckoning with the surprising cost of a paint job these days. For perspective, when I had my Elan done in '85 by a local ace the very good deal he offered ( he is celebrated in the region for having done a great many classics over the years ) was $1600 for considerable body finishing and 2K paint. It was a stunner of a result, by the way. Today, I'm told that sum might cover the cost of the paint materials alone for my Esprit.

I'm going to stick with paint but were it to be wrapped I might go with a satin white, of all things. I saw a modern Aston Martin in that once and it looked for all the world like it was carved from marble.

Cheers

G’day everyone,

Wiring loom: mine is wrapped in electrical tape. Could someone please confirm what the original finish should be? Loom tape? Electrical? Etc. thanks

BTW - I’ve killed the wrapping idea. Suppliers said I need a very good base paint to work off which defeats the purpose of what I’m trying to achieve. Only upside is that the wrap would offer some protection for the Fiberglass and rather expensive paint job.