free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 23 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rolls

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Nice Rolls, you’ll  be there Soon!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Awesome work on the roof Roland    :thumbup:,  Did you get an SJ roof section in the end or just glass over and ages getting it right   ?

A

Reinforced the bobbins front and rear as the strands around them looked a tad sketchy. 

Roof was chamfered and infilled. Then the whole section underneath was reinforced to ensure there was no issue with sun / heat etc.

You would never pick it.

BTW - I still have the roof section if anyone’s interested.

• Like 1

Keep going mate, the worst is done! 

That looks an awkward angle to stand at. Could you not lift the body a bit?

I do love your dedication getting the body just right. It'll all be worth it when you can see yourself in the paint reflection. :)

It's getting there......

Well done Roland,  As said the detail work is the key, you will end up with a much nicer surface for the painter to spray onto,  

Have to agree with Tim,  your back must kill at that angle lol,  

Keep up the great work,  the learning curve you have done is great, very impressed with your rear arch mould work and glassing  :thumbup:

A

My other dolly is taller. However I can’t be arsed switching it back from the current one.

For the vertical panels, Its easier if it’s lower as you strike downwards with each standing stoke.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2019 at 14:02, Rolls said:

Reinforced the bobbins front and rear as the strands around them looked a tad sketchy. 

Good thinking. The glass is thin around them for sure and on the O/S of mine had holed

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 19.49.00.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 19.49.14.png

Now that topside is getting closer it’s time to think about underside.

If any of you decided to blast, (as I did mine) you will end up with hundreds and hundreds of tiny pin holes. Someone put me onto this product.

458E9370-C06F-49A0-92E4-F7ECCF0D13F8.jpeg.bd82b42f06e53e9e19db5e279fa16ba6.jpeg

It is brilliant. You literally wipe it on the panel with a rag, and then wipe off. Done. No mixing and stuffing around. Each wheel arch took about 5-10 mins. Would have taken an hour + if it was filled the traditional way. Finished area looks like this;

49CAAF4B-11BA-4090-9E53-713CB2F207C2.jpeg.cdf2a4dcf9ca3e7425f8a0b10551e8d2.jpeg

I’ve decided to paint the inner wheel arches to match the body.

The engine bay, interior and underside will be coated with raptor. Question regarding painting the underside - is there a post that covers what gets painted and where the correct finishing lines are? Looking at the pics there appears to be some variance.

• Like 1

Always look forward to your project posts Roland, glad things are still moving on nicely  :thumbup:   Good find on that pinhole filler product,  you are getting to be quite the guru at this grp bodywork stuff, still extremely impressed with your wheel arch home made moulds,    :)

Keep up the momentum   as much as i like look forward to seeing the thing in paint, , something about naked grp Esprit bodyshells does it for me lol ,  I just find mid project always the more fascinating  :thumbsup:

A

I'm sure, given the time we all spend in restoring these classics, that you've thought about it long and hard. However, I'd have to say, if I'd gone to the trouble of removing any historic paint, under seal or other covering from the underside of my S1 body shell I'd seriously consider leaving it plain as it originally left the factory. The value of any classic is in its originality after all.

Though the 'flesh' coloured body shell isn't the most attractive I must say. With it's bitumen covered seat bolts on the underside. However that's how they were produced.

Mine had been under sealed, and although this was removed, the remaining effect was a little too patchy considering the work done on the upper side. I therefore had the whole of the underside and engine bay painted in the same satin black 'Raptor' 2K as the wheel wells. Including the inside to make use of the proofing and dust inhibition that the paint provides. The result looks great, and provides a fantastic contrast to the upper body colour. As well as providing a very durable and practical finish and colour for future wear and tear.

I'm not sure how a body colour, especially if lighter in shade, will look down the line? I know from my other classic car, the restoration of which was completed 11 years ago, and has a single colour body shell as is the way with metal shells, that the white wheel wells are tricky to keep looking fresh. Just my advice.

• Like 2

Thanks David. I’m a big fan of keeping it original but flesh coloured would be 🤢 

Speaking of which, does anyone know the correct perimeter for painting the underside? I.e. where does the raptor finish?

Yes, it does look a bit weird TBH.

An the factory finish is a bit make do also. As described above.

Perimeter? I assume you mean for the S2 black band?

I do think you'd be better off painting the underside and wheel arches in black 'Raptor' for practical and consistency reasons. It looks GREAT!

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

Interestingly I was recently asked this very question regarding Raptor inside the wheel arches. Apparently Raptor can be tinted to match the bodywork so I could have had white wheel arches but having seen this done in the past on other classics it just doesn't look right to me, so I'm sticking with black as it came out of the factory. 

Yes, 'Raptor' is a straightforward 2K paint, which also does not have to be rough. That depends upon the spraygun's nozzle.

It's tough stuff, and has some minimal sound deadening properties. Ideal for tidying up the cabin floor from dust, and also front compartment floor and rear luggage area.

One key purpose of blacking out is to de-emphasize something not seen as a pleasing feature. For my tastes the pink gelcoat is quite unappealing and I suspect what will look best is to colour coat the outer band under the wheelarches roughly to the point where tyre sidewalls align, masking to effect a smart border to the black majority inboard of that. Some have recommended polyurethane 2K armour coats such as used to protect pick-up truck beds for noise, stone chip and blacking out reasons.

Out here in Canada in the '70's it was always fashionable for cars to be undercoated, usually in a tar based compound, as was my S2 throughout the arches and some way into the engine bay sides. No pleasure in the task of scraping away what the blaster could not be bothered to take care of, though the right solvent works well in removing the last remnant film.

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

Yes, it does look a bit weird TBH.

An the factory finish is a bit make do also. As described above.

Perimeter? I assume you mean for the S2 black band?

I do think you'd be better off painting the underside and wheel arches in black 'Raptor' for practical and consistency reasons. It looks GREAT!

When will we be treated to a picture of the top - the great reveal?

@drdoom that's what 'Raptor' is. Made by Upol.

4 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

When will we be treated to a picture of the top - the great reveal?

Dunno. Running out of funds. And a couple of things holding me up. There are photos on my Instagran account if you want to look. Can't post photos on here.

I’m keen to paint the internal arches the same as the body - high gloss...

There is a loft of vacant wheel arch area around the wheel so I don’t think raptor would look as good. Just need to avoid the gravel 🧐

Does anyone know what was the correct factory finish?

I have always thought the factory finish was satin black paint Roland ?

A