free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 28 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rolls

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Capping rail trim :

This is the piece of trim that runs up the window and along the roofline.

Has anyone had experience using this trim from S&J? .... is there a better solution? Any advice would be appreciated.

D5F104C6-40A1-4BFB-B162-C698D3C26726.thumb.png.1c83837120b04a55286558ca9b52fe36.png

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes. It's daunting, but taken with care it's relatively straightforward.

You have to be careful to cut it in the correct places, and to cut the negative curves so that it bends in the right way.

Measure three times, and then use a very sharp blade and steel rule to cut.

Simon's pics here

Are clear and instructive, note the cutuouts at the corner areas to help the bend.

Just be careful not to nick the face (or your paintwork) when the rivet gun kicks back as the rivet shaft snaps.

Have a look on my S1 blog, I detailed how I cut and fitted it. 

• Like 1

Thanks.

The trim above appears to be different to the factory trim. Has anyone had any experience with the substituted product that SJ now sell, per above.

You keep asking the same question.

Yes, a number of responsers have. Fiddly shape.  It it works. Check out the links provided. There are others on here also.

If you find anything better then let us know.

Sorry. My mistake. I thought the trim had changed in the last 12 months. I’m obviously wrong.

Yes, I used a small amount of Engine Gunk degreaser.

• Like 1

Paint colour:

Need to buy the paint soon.

The shooter that’s doing the honours wants to use an ultra pure black.

The lotus black is not as deep. And therefore doesn’t have the same lustre of pure black. It has a faint greyish tinge to it. Should I choose the original colour or chase the better finish?

The method is paint it. Cure it. Cut it. I would like to then partially reassemble. Then, Shoot  clear. Then cut again.

He would also like to use a solvent based paint. 

Reassembled the car again for the final check before high fill and the pods don’t match up with the bonnet as they should. Just out.....frustrating.

The panel beater said you can only properly rivet to fiberglass once. We have been using machine screws to hold the bushes so we can remove for painting however I believe they are moving, hence the issues.. I think I’m going to rivet them in and paint in situ. 

Yes, they are an absolute pain I'm afraid. I had to send one pod back for repainting before it finally went in properly.

I feel your pain. But keep at it. I've just spent a fabulous day in the paint shop watching mine been detailed and polished ready for the badges and decals to be applied. Done now, ready for its first public appearance at a local classic car show.

You'll get there.

• Like 2

Door Jamb;

I still haven’t resolved the issue around the 2nd missing bolt in the door jamb. All the s1’s appear to have two upper bolts and I’m 90% sure there should be one there. What’s perplexing is there is no receiving hole in the vertical beam behind it. 

I don’t have an original photo of the area in question before I disassembled.

6115F997-4BB7-41CD-9329-E55AD1E7968D.thumb.jpeg.c683e14a3e33716ae43d7f3b4a4a84d5.jpeg

Looking at the inside, there are no holes in the vertical beam to accept another bolt in the said area.

Could an S2 owner confirm there is definitely two bolts pls?

There should be two fixings, attached photo to illustrate.

Cheers

IMG_1741.JPG

85415FFF-671F-4499-807B-6D46595B139C.thumb.jpeg.5a6af9c097433a54aa327cea345f5100.jpegThanks. I can’t locate the upper fixing. I can see the lower one - see my fat finger. Perhaps it’s been removed by the previous owner.

Rear vision mirrors 

Mine are satin black. I’m tempted to paint them high gloss like the rest of the car. What does everyone think? What’s original?

Sills

For the section that you see when you open the door, is there some sort of scuff plate? If there isn’t, I’m thinking I might wrap it in clear film.

On 03/09/2019 at 05:36, Rolls said:

Rear vision mirrors 

Mine are satin black. I’m tempted to paint them high gloss like the rest of the car. What does everyone think? What’s original?

Sills

For the section that you see when you open the door, is there some sort of scuff plate? If there isn’t, I’m thinking I might wrap it in clear film.

1. Satin black to match bumper, ears, window surrounds etc.

2. No scuff plate

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

On 05/09/2019 at 22:09, peteyg said:

1. Satin black to match bumper, ears, window surrounds etc.

2. No scuff plate

I was thinking of painting the mirrors and bars gloss because it looks so much better. What do you think?

With the graft you have done on this car Roland i would keep the look factory spec,  but then again who am i to say with an extra four cylinders, bigger wheels and nasca ducts on a G car lol.

A

Deffo satin. Gloss if it's body colour.

• Like 2

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

On 10/09/2019 at 21:27, peteyg said:

Deffo satin. Gloss if it's body colour.

Sorry what do you mean?

Satin unless the body colour is the same - I.e. black? 

Thanks