free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 30 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rolls

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks great Roland, you’ve been one step ahead of me all year. Hope every thing goes well with your top coat, can’t wait to see the  finnished product 

Edited by austeel
Word missing

Thanks.

Prepsoled tonight for final checks. Lots of small sections that need some 800 finessing.

The booth is booked for a major service. Providing that's done Friday it should be right for shooting Saturday. It will mean that the filters will be fresh etc.

Painter reckons it's a good 10 hour day just for the body 😯

Going to do the panels in Jan.

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rolls said:

Thanks.

Prepsoled tonight for final checks. Lots of small sections that need some 800 finessing.

The booth is booked for a major service. Providing that's done Friday it should be right for shooting Saturday. It will mean that the filters will be fresh etc.

Painter reckons it's a good 10 hour day just for the body 😯

Going to do the panels in Jan.

Onwards and upwards!

Exciting, after all your work. What colour will it be?

Merry xmas, what a nice present! Well done, looks stunning!

• Like 2

That’s a very lovely paint job!

Happy Christmas from sunny Southampton.

Kind Regards

Paul Gibson

• Like 1

Sound deadener:

I have almost finished applying the body deadener. I ended up using Dynamat Extreme. Unfortunately one box is not enough. An esprit requires 1 & 1/4. I have therefore spent $540 aud (£270) on the two boxes. If I had my time again,  I would have used a more economical brand because I believe the outcome would have been just as effective.

I’m debating as to whether or not I should install a roof section...   would it remain glued upside down given the heat that a black body attracts 🤔 the other option would be to install small squares of the product patchworked over the area (inch x inch).

Looks great!

6530A00A-BF66-4E2E-91DD-C7C39574D454.jpeg.e25df7d0ade9d1e4c70ce21c87a53eda.jpeg

5FD84DCD-3F4E-453E-9CBF-219E896E0022.jpeg.2cead3f14f4aa763763b40006ee1c8ae.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, what can I say. I did tell you ages ago! Full roll cost me £175

And as been stated before this stuff doesn't work the same on fibreglass panels unlike metal, so pointless put elsewhere. Like the roof lining and doors.

I just used it to give the cabin a more solid feel and hopefully prevent any potential drumming. Also I don't intend to use the original style carpet underlay as it rots.

inCollage_20191107_113239978~2.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldnt use it on the roof or anywhere else. I have the orginal carpet u nderlay on both my cars. It has to be shaped whee the foot pedals are so there is enough room for your foot ti sit on the accelerator. This may mean practicallybno underlay in this area. Looks like a top job in the picture. Well done again!

• Like 1

It is certain that the early Esprit are prone to egregious resonant noise. With both chassis and body in naked state it's readily apparent how resonant each of them is, leading me to explore laying the acoustic mass dampener onto both. More economical venues for these materials may be found in suppliers to HVAC and other building industry contractors, by the way. Threads in TLF have cautioned care in laying up material where it may conflict with seat movement, and Fabian's advice on the pedal area is surely sound as well. Not sure what to think regarding the roof as it does seem a good place to target dampening - are the adhesives used reliable enough? One seemingly sound trimmer I spoke with last year on headlining stated it was imperative to choose a high spec contact cement to be assured the thing would stay in place through heat typical of summer days.

Cheers

A very sad time for Australia at the moment. We have endured unprecedented devastation attributed to bush fires. 100,000’s of animals have perished. Towns obliterated. Homes lost. It’s tragic.

An area larger than Belgium has already been decimated and the fires are expected to burn until the end of our summer. Some fronts have joined and created mega-fires. These “mega fires” are so large they are creating their own weather systems including lightening which causes further havoc.

The Eastern seaboard of our country has been cloaked in ash and smoke - the air quality in large swathes of area have been deemed hazardous.

I’ve never seen anything like it.

And the fire season hasn’t even started yet!!

If you would like to make a donation here is a link:

https://www.vic.gov.au/bushfireappeal

• Like 1

Yes, it's all over the news here in the UK. A very sad time indeed, and one to reflect on how this has occurred.

Global warming has certainly a part to play, and any doubters seriously need to think their logical position through.

I've heard that some green ecologists had advised not burning scrub in the winter months, which may have exasperated the problem by a strange quirk of fate.

We all need to better understand our actions on this planet, and reduce the amount we plunder it's vital and finite resource.

• Like 2

Door beams:

I can’t work out whether the inner section of the door beam that one sees when the door is open, is satin or gloss black. I assume it’s satin? S2.5BBF1BB8-2288-439F-952E-BD2DD484B7EC.jpeg.843865f22a85a14c15efe113ac3563e5.jpeg

I used satin.

You need to check the bushes and pin in the beam, but Inthink you did that afes ago.

They're are bare aluminium from the factory, but some folk fancy them up.

It's better to concern yourself with replacing the bushes and upgrading with brass than not to replace at all, or use by using the inferior plastic original style.

Won’t be cutting any corners. All replaced thanks to Matt!

Thanks for the replies. Satin black it is👍🏼

• Like 1

Not sure about the S2 but early Turbos were satin black from the factory, however due to the cables that pass through that area a lot of the black on mine had come off and it looked shabby. Its an awkward place to get to so this time round on rebuild I will be leaving mine bare alloy.

1 hour ago, Rolls said:

Won’t be cutting any corners. All replaced thanks to Matt!

Thanks for the replies. Satin black it is👍🏼

My turbo has the bronze bushes in the door beams and is Satin black. It does get damaged but easy to touch up.  Remember now you were fetling the bushes to get the pins in!  Its a bit of an art, but far superior to the original bushes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Another quick question. The doors have these small plates riveted into the corners. Any idea if they are original / what they are for?

E449C0D5-1EBE-43CE-B1F1-FCC7F3155580.jpeg.239f0b3930a82390147adc152b0dc095.jpeg

654EE0F9-1FC6-4248-90FB-FC84D56B2B41.jpeg.eb5de19deb368cd38869e1c12c3330f1.jpeg

1C855918-69F0-4DA1-BF57-FC7E41E5710A.jpeg.7496fdce4807886bd2f5b45909f5a9f4.jpeg

Not on my S1 as far I've seen.