free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 32 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 hours ago, Rolls said:

Well done gents. On point as always.

I was under the impression the binding should be a pvc material. Not cotton. thoughts?

PVC edging. Available from Connolly as well as elsewhere.

Edited by Fridge

• 2 months later...

Tail lights;

I have used automotive silicone when affixing the taillight mounting plate to the body. For the black cosmetic surround, do folks simply screw it into the body from behind? It would mark the paintwork... I was thinking of using some foam tape however I’m concerned this will be a trap for moisture.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

The tailgate cable just goes over the rear wheel arch and then follows the body around to the lock in the middle of the rear hatch. There isn't a specific route as such it just kind of snakes around the corner to the rear deck lock. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Firewall  panel:

I’ve started on the interior which is exciting. 0BE806B4-7BD2-4265-A185-0638FCF703E6.thumb.jpeg.5f1c03ef39fbf4394522af140e215fa9.jpeg

My carpets have been replaced at some stage so I’m not 100% confident that everything else is as it left the factory. 
I would like to confirm that this material is original please?

47F72177-F2DC-4D72-92D3-78BD0EDE95D2.thumb.jpeg.28dbe90e21b20b3b74aec67b35735d60.jpeg

Any tips on where to source from / what colour it’s called etc?

• Like 1

It's "standard nylon". Easily obtainable in the UK from a trimmers  I don't know the professional name for it.

• Like 1

(Additionally) I assume it's what was on your rear bulkhead interior covering, and possibly door card inserts and arm rest top.

@Rolls you originally weren't sure whether your car was a Commerative "JPS" car, which has a totally different interior to other Marcasite Esprit S1 and S2s. I assume that you've long confirmed that it isn't. Therefore if your car has this nylon material then it would probably have Marcasite also (in the usual places), but it could have had a part leather interior also. The Lotus Archive would be able to confirm.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

Thanks.

The fabric on the firewall does not remotely match what’s on the dashboard.  Appears to more of a nylon backed velvet. My car has been reupholstered at some stage of its life and therefore I need to figure out what are the correct components to make it factory correct. Esprit s2’s are rare here - I have only ever seen one on the flesh so not a lot to compare it to.

I know that the colours in the interior should be black and green. I don’t know what materials I should be using. Would I be right in saying:

*seats - black leather

*carpet -  black polypropylene  (provided by Steve 🙏🏼)

* firewall - black textile pima cotton to match the dash Or should it be more of a nylon backed fabric ?

*door cards - black leather and Pima cotton (dark green)

*dashboard - Pima cotton (dark green)

The Pima cotton doesn’t sound quite right but it’s the only fabric I could find (that’s still available) in the feed from @JonB from 2017. I also note some people have used Crypton Suede.

Thanks 👍🏼

• Like 1

The bulkhead material is different from that used on the dash, which is likely to be Marcasite.

I'm unaware of any Esprit S1 or S2 having green interior, but the black/anthracite (ie silvery black) Marcasite turns green with age/UV.

As far as I've seen the bulkhead of a Marcasite trimmed car is usually the same material as the centre console arm rest and the door card inserts. On a black interior this is black and resembles the material in your photo. This is available now from UK trimmers. It looks virtually identical, but being a modern fabric will be of higher quality compared to the 1970's synthetic fibres.

You are right about Marcasite. It's basically a type of tight, mono-pile synthetic velvet, on a woven synthetic backing/substrate. It has the properties of being able to tightly wrap interior pieces such as the instrument binnacle without folds. Unlike most modern substitute materials. It is thicker and less flexible than the material used on the bulkhead material.

• Like 2

My S2 originally was trimmed as follows: cream ( biscuit? ) leather on seat facings, centre armrest and window switch pod; vinyl of similar colour on the bulkhead finisher panel, cantrail trims above door frames and for the doorcard inserts; brown Marcasite for the tunnel trims, dash/instrument binnacle, A-pillar trims and bulk of the door cards. As David @Fridge states, the brown shifts to green-ish over time where the Marcasite is concerned.

My expert trimmer reports that the Alcantara I've spec'd as replacement for the interior panels' OEM Marcasite ( now adding the bulkhead finisher ) is indeed a challenge in working around contoured surfaces without seams. It's Nappa leather for my seat facings, armrest/switch pod, gearchange puff, and doorcard inserts.

Cheers

• Like 2