free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 33 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

heater tap:

keen to keep heat out of the cabin entirely - it’s gets fairly hot in Melbourne (Australia).

Have people installed taps in the heater line circuit to keep the heat out and if you have, would you mind posting some pictures of the installation please?

Hi @Rolls just catching up with this thread.

As @drdoom says it looks like your heater box may have a different matrix fitted, but can't say for sure without inspecting my own photos and yours in more detail. I'm sure those rounded apertures in the box is where something is routed outwards, but they look too close together. Like @Mark Blanchard says perhaps they were just covered with foam? I'll try and check and confirm.

I understand your reasoning on fitting a heater valve, as my 1960's open top sports car has one, but the Esprit hasn't. Which is odd given that it is the automotive equivalent of a greenhouse. A pal retro-fitted such a valve to his S1, bought from eBayUK, I'm sure there are similar ones down under. He can activate it via a hidden lever under the dash I think. Sounded relatively easy enough to implement. Something that is almost necessary in Oz I would have thought.

Regarding Alcantara being a replacement for Marcasite I can understand why the trimmer is finding it difficult to get it to sit correctly around the curves on the binnacle etc. It's a tricky business to replicate the original I feel. As I understand it, Alcantara comes in a number of different weights. I would suggest using a very thin version for those areas, if they match the more hard wearing (I assume) thicker areas.

Edited by Fridge

@Rolls just checked my collection of restoration photos for those slots/holes in the heater box. I think they're in the top, or the base of it, once orientated in the car.  Disappointingly, my photos don't specially show that aspect, so apologies.

But as @Freemasonsays, I think they are covered by the foam surrounding the heater matrix, which I reconfirm is held in place by it. Mine had become thin and I replaced it with new material cut from some packaging I had stored. Works well.

• Like 1

Further to @Fridge's thoughts I concur that it will be rather easy to incorporate a flow control valve for the matrix. When restoring my classic Elan decades ago the clever tip was to ditch the troublesome OEM valve ( common with MGB, IIRC ) and use one native to Ford pickups of the era. Cheap as chips and dead easy to operate, never looked back over many happy years in use. That valve is of a straight, inline form not ideal for hose routing under dash in the Esprit so instead I've adapted one native to '80's vintage Honda Prelude. It's of 90 degree form, helpful in the routing of hoses.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Looking at my own heater, it looks as if the 2 holes are the opposite way round on yours!

Like @Mark Blanchard and @Freemason they were covered with foam which I had to replace.

For some reason I cannot post any photos.?? PM me if you want to see them. Or you could check out my post My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

• Like 1

Windscreen;

NLA here in Australia. I can get a new one economically made using the old one as a template. Does anyone know if there is anything special that I need to know? Appears to be straight forward but knowing lotus, there is usually a catch.

Roland, I'm curious as to the ease of creating one-off screens. The curvatures of the Esprit screen are unique, are they not? One thing to trace out a perimeter on a sheet of laminated screen glass, quite another to arrive at the correct form.

Hope you are successful!

On 25/11/2021 at 17:33, williamtherebel said:

Looking at my own heater, it looks as if the 2 holes are the opposite way round on yours!

Like @Mark Blanchard and @Freemason they were covered with foam which I had to replace.

For some reason I cannot post any photos.?? PM me if you want to see them. Or you could check out my post My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

Isn't your car a Federal LHD model?

That'll be why.

• 3 months later...
On 30/11/2021 at 04:06, drdoom said:

Roland, I'm curious as to the ease of creating one-off screens. The curvatures of the Esprit screen are unique, are they not? One thing to trace out a perimeter on a sheet of laminated screen glass, quite another to arrive at the correct form.

Hope you are successful!

I’ve ended up buying a new one from the UK - $3000 landed which is approx 1500 pounds.

Hello everyone

door handles:

Quick question. My external door handles are mostly chrome with a black inner.

When I look at photos of S2’s on Google there is a mixture of chrome (like mine) and full black handles. I also notice there are only black ones available from SJ. From memory these handles are from another marque.

My question is what are the correct handles for an S2 (2L)? Chrome or Black? If it’s chrome what’s the work around?

Many thanks

• Like 1

JPS were black but like you I’ve seen a mix of chrome or black on non commemorative models.

I think the early ones were Chrome but this may have changed on the later chassis number S2’s.

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

52 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

JPS were black but like you I’ve seen a mix of chrome or black on non commemorative models.

I think the early ones were Chrome but this may have changed on the later chassis number S2’s.

Dave :) 

Not quite right  @LOTUSMAN33 Export  Commemorative Edition "JPS" cars were black handles, Domestic were a mixture of chrome and black. The earlier the production build the more likely to be chrome, the later ones were mostly black.

9EUTp1VwTbWzkaY5IG1O8Q.JPG

jps3.jpg

Lotus_Esprit_John_Player_Special_1979.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rolls said:

Hello everyone

door handles:

Quick question. My external door handles are mostly chrome with a black inner.

When I look at photos of S2’s on Google there is a mixture of chrome (like mine) and full black handles. I also notice there are only black ones available from SJ. From memory these handles are from another marque.

My question is what are the correct handles for an S2 (2L)? Chrome or Black? If it’s chrome what’s the work around?

Many thanks

British Leyland used them; can be found on TR7, Austin Allegro, Morris Marina etc. 

Lotus-Esprit-S1-S2-S3-Turbo-Exterior-Door-Handles-BMC.jpg

@Rolls please note, if sourcing replacement exterior door handles, the Wilmott Breedon items as used by other UK manufacturers are not all the same. Like the Lucas L811 sidelight/indicator units fitted to early Esprit, they use different fittings.

The Latch mechanisms are dependant upon which car manufacturer fitted them.

19 minutes ago, Fridge said:

The Latch mechanisms are dependant upon which car manufacturer fitted them.

Are they interchangeable, eg could you salvage any unique bits from the old handles?

• 2 weeks later...

Gearbox:

I’ve had my box dry ice blasted. It looks good. 

I think I’m going to replace the hardware and leave it as is.

Is there anything I need to be mindful of?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rolls said:

Gearbox:

I’ve had my box dry ice blasted. It looks good. 

I think I’m going to replace the hardware and leave it as is.

Is there anything I need to be mindful of?

Not sure I follow, but I would suggest replacing the output shaft seals, and paper gaskets as a minimum. I replaced the output shaft bearings and pinion (advised by the transmission builder, so memory and terminology a bit flakey).

Swapping over the door handle "chrome" centre would be a good compromise. Pity the chrome surround versions aren't available to you.

On 03/03/2022 at 20:11, 910Esprit said:

Are they interchangeable, eg could you salvage any unique bits from the old handles?

You can swap the Esprit latch mechanism over to the replacement handles without too much trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The diff output bearings do take a beating, owing to the loaded transaxle design of the early cars' suspension. I helped a mate get his S1 sorted when he couldn't suss out why there was lateral movement of the rear wheels despite freshly done U-J's. Examining the matter with the car lifted one could see the movement source was at the output shaft, all tight outboard of that.

Cheers

• Like 2