free hit
counters
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 35 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Cross over fuel pipe:

I have a question about the 5/16th Kunifer cross over fuel pipe. I’m thinking of using a rubber fuel line instead. Less joins + Easier to obtain + no vibration issues + easier to navigate the corner bends.

Any thoughts as to why I should stick with a solid pipe?

thanks

7952E950-552B-434E-84CC-3A26FC785F44.jpeg

BA45194F-9757-4AA2-A3DE-C862C310EDA8.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Mine had as combination of stainless pipe and hoses at either end fitted by PO - hoses look like they will need replacing fairly soon for sure - 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That would be great if you could. Thank you.

I intend to cut the socket in half and weld on some tube so it’s an extra deep socket. Is that how you would do it?

44mm according to the Vernier 

I suspect a socket may foul the sleeve nut that secures the outer race, although you could resolve this with a grinder.

I use a deep box spanner.   I also cross drilled a 6mm hole through the flats of the box spanner.  Once I remove the driveshaft, I put a 61mmx6mm rod through the drilled holes, this then effectively provides the spigots that allows you to remove the sleeve nut.  (using the same box spanner)

This tool has dismantled/assembled a fair number of driveshaft housings and works great! 

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 14:55, Lotusfab said:

Hi Roland I would go solid, it gets very hot, rubber will perish and there will be vibration which could causing rubbing and pipe failure.

Easy to make a pipe and bend it to fit. I used aluminium.

I ended up going with the solid pipe. It was hard to find the olives for the ends but that is now resolved.

Body will be reunited with the chassis tomorrow. Can’t wait.

3 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

I suspect a socket may foul the sleeve nut that secures the outer race, although you could resolve this with a grinder.

I use a deep box spanner.   I also cross drilled a 6mm hole through the flats of the box spanner.  Once I remove the driveshaft, I put a 61mmx6mm rod through the drilled holes, this then effectively provides the spigots that allows you to remove the sleeve nut.  (using the same box spanner)

This tool has dismantled/assembled a fair number of driveshaft housings and works great! 

Are you sure it’s 44? (S2). Appears to be significantly larger than that size. I’ll go with your advice if you are confident. Thanks

• Like 1

On 06/10/2022 at 01:18, 910Esprit said:

Could you post a pic/link of the wrench/rod tool? Thanks

2 hours ago, snowrx said:

Could you post a pic/link of the wrench/rod tool? Thanks

I'd love to, but as a Basic user I've used up all my free space.   Maybe I can do it via a hosting site.   Leave it with me....

• Like 1

On 06/10/2022 at 12:18, Rolls said:

I ended up going with the solid pipe. It was hard to find the olives for the ends but that is now resolved.

Body will be reunited with the chassis tomorrow. Can’t wait.

Are you sure it’s 44? (S2). Appears to be significantly larger than that size. I’ll go with your advice if you are confident. Thanks

Well done Roland, tour nearly there after all the hard work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...