free hit
counters
1987 Esprit S3 turbo HCI timing belt replacement frequency - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
nanardos

1987 Esprit S3 turbo HCI timing belt replacement frequency

Does anyone know what the recommended timing belt replacement frequency is

for a 1987 Esprit S3 turbo HCI (in terms of miles or years if the car is not driven much) ?

Is there anyway to check the condition of the belt while without taking it off  ?

Cheers

BL

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think it's only two years by the book but I tend to leave mine 4 years irrespective of (the low) mileage.

You can obviously look at it to check that it is in good condition but they can go even if they look brand new. Without trying to state the obvious, rubber goes off and unless you see it being made you probably won't know how long it's been sat on a shelf before you purchased it. 

If in any doubt - change it.

The costs of not doing so will be eye watering........

Mine was done 2 years ago and driven very little until I bought it,  it slipped! have a look at my post "Oh dear! " it didn't cause any damage luckily but I have vowed to change mine very 2 years. The car now drives much better now as well.

I have not used it but you can use an app call speedy spectrum on android or tuneit app on iphone apparnetly the is a thread on another forum if you google check you cambelt app i am sure you will find it.

I think it's 100 to 110hz on a new belt but please check elsewhere to confirm. I think lotus esprit world. Has it on their site.

just a thought ,a certain "knower of such things "with a Scottish sounding last name, sent me a very helpful miant sked an im sure the replacement time was 3 years ???? 

Just replaced mine and make sure you check the tension not only at 30 before tdc but also with the 2 white dots on the cam wheels towards the centre.   I tensioned mine correctly and got 100hz then after running it up to temp must have   checked with dots not in the correct place which came up with 87 hz as tension.  Just retensioned it to 110hz.   

I did compare it with a kriket at tdc and they both showed correct tension.     I checked using speedy spectrum, the gates app and a guitar tune app.  Slight differences across the 3 but no major problem.

My belt is the gates htd power grip 5168    133x26.4mm from Sjs and its on a 88 stevens but essentially the same engine.

I also found it useful to move your plucking point back and forth along the belt between the 2 pullys to find the point for the best vibrations to make it easier for the app to pick up. I think you also have to it between 10 and 25 degrees c.

Just re read your initial post  and realise you want replacement frequency not belt frequency when replacing.   I think its 24 k miles or 2 year.

Thanks again everyone for this very useful infos.

Regards

Bernard