free hit
counters
Lotus SUV... - Page 10 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

8 hours ago, Snoopy1969 said:

Exactly this, this Segment is already filled, Lotus should try to find a niche where they could be leader or semi-leader not sheep Nr. 5001 at the end of the row - what about 4 door coupe with room for 4 adults, thinking panamera in a more compact, semi lightweight Lotus way?

The uber saloon segment has not caught on fire the same way the luxury high rider did... The Panamera's done ok, it managed to crack a bit of the Mercedes stronghold, but if you look at the Aston Martin Rapide, the Maseratis and even dare I say the Jaguar XJs have not been best sellers lately. But JMG's initial plan did include a luxury sedan so it maybe more a matter of when and not if to see a successor to the Carlton/Omega.    

Lotus wanting to join the SUV bandwagon is absolutely, it doesn't matter if they are late to the party, they won't have to sell a million of it just 5 to 10 thousands, and it would be a game changer for the company. The Chinese market alone could eat it up with proper marketing by the owners. 

The SUV could also accommodate the extra equipment required by an EV version more discretely due to the high riding frame, the batteries could be installed lower than they would be in a Lotus sedan, which would be, by DNA, low to the ground. And if there's a segment Geely could make sure Lotus is not too late to the party it is EVs.  If they get the SUV to come out in 2020 and get an EV variant by 2022 it will be just in time.  

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome back doctor!

Cars like that are now bought for two reasons only in my opinion (1) to show off how wealthy you are and (2) instead of or to complement Art/Expensive Jewellery/etc.  They are now adornments - in time

Ant, If my dad can fit in an Evora then so can you. There are modifications you can make to drop the seat lower. I know my dad has resorted to removing the seat runners and dropping it down onto its f

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it had better handle, be reliable and have the Lotus core values - built in lightness.

I must say, Geely have done a good job with Volvo, and the top of the range Volvo S90 is manufactured in China.

• Gold FFM

Exactly it needs to be the same evolution that saw the Evora 400 step up quality, size etc from the Exige without losing the lotus part of the equation.

geely generally leave them alone to do what they do, I just pray it looks good and there are carbon options galoor cause they will be ticked, all of them :) oh and forged wheels...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I puked when I saw it. Friggin' awful.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Kev, for me psersonally, I think the world has more thsn enough SUV's and personally I would prefer Lotus focused on what it did best.

However, I also understand the harsh brutalities of the real world and that Lotus needs volume.

I hate the new SUV's from Bentley, Alfa, Ferrari, Lambo etc all as equally as much as I hate the Lotus one.

If you want a premium SUV buy a Range Rover. If you want a sports car, buy a Lotus, Ferrari etc.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

So it looks JMG and Geely are really set to go toe to toe  with the Germans with not one but two SUV, so a Maccan and a Cayenne competitor:

We're currently doing an analysis and there might be more segments where the Lotus DNA could be used. But for crossovers I'm not just thinking of one size, but a couple of sizes.

To read more :

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20180112/ANE/180109972/lotus-ceo-sees-suv-coming-with-help-from-new-stakeholder-geely

• Like 1
On 12/5/2017 at 19:12, Snoopy1969 said:

Exactly this, this Segment is already filled, Lotus should try to find a niche where they could be leader or semi-leader not sheep Nr. 5001 at the end of the row - what about 4 door coupe with room for 4 adults, thinking panamera in a more compact, semi lightweight Lotus way?

Is it? The guy I work for now has a BMW X3. How many different X series cars are there? Would BMW make so many variants if they could not sell them?

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I don't think this market segment has reached capacity yet, especially not in the premium market. However the early birds have made a killing and it will be harder for the late bloomers to make it big but it does look like the new Lambo Urus is going to no less than double the raging bulls sales number. Still this market is no guarantee for success as the Maserati Levante illustrates. 

Should Lotus take full advantage of the CMA and SPA architecture and all the while be able to design a completely bespoke body for the car and if it looks as good in the metal as the patent designs do then they would have a worthy contender. If Geely put all their weight behind it then it shoud sell well enough in China which is the main target. However being based on the CMA or SPA toolkit and having access to the group parts bin makes the car global so a 10,000 vehicles per annum doesn't sound that far fetched. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...