free hit
counters
Lotus SUV... - Page 12 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:09, PhilW said:

Can someone tell me why the world needs SUV's? 

One could ask the same question about sports cars....................

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, auRouge said:

@TBD good point, they've got a lot of experience using parts from other manufactures.

I like the fact they can use a super reliable engine from Toyota or Volvo, tune it to perform whilst maintaining that reliability. Bring on the Volvo wiring looms and crash test technology, this marriage of knowledge is the best of both worlds.

This SUV will drive and handle like a proper car, have the lifestyle factor of an SUV and the reliability of that very well known and loved Scandinavian brand...

Exciting times for Lotus. Although I wonder about the profitability of the planned SUV. It's a high volume market (JMG only planning 10k cars? I might be wrong), not sure how much Volvo makes out of an XC60 or Porsche from a Macan but I bet it's not huge... the profit will come from the high numbers sold no? If Lotus needs to make this car too expensive to make profit then they'll be at risk as convincing the public to buy a new SUV against a tried and tested car will be tough.

I wonder if in Europe the Volvo's will get a bit of Lotus tuning and then brand that?!! Lotus Carlton effect... low numbers, bit more expensive but highly desirable.

That would make an already v good XC even more tempting against a Porsche or BMW sporty SUV:pizza:

Scaling up volumes to 10k sounds great for the future of the company. I fail to see how the existing dealer network can handle the volume of sales and maintenance / warranty work.

A lot of work is ahead.

I think by the time the SUV comes out the dealer and support network will have been seriously beefed up. Volvo 4S hubs will be asked to provide support to Polestar, Lynk & Co and Lotus. Some 4S franchises will open Lotus and/or Polestar showrooms. The investment in these showrooms will be compounded by the fact that Geely needs to build the infrastructure for Lynk & Co anyway  Lynk and Polestar are supposed to go direct to consumer but they will still need fully fitted service centres Lotus should have access to these too. And then they will still have their own sales network. 

As for scalling, the volume seems to be inline with what Lamborghini, Bentley, Maserati were/are aiming for initially, Bentley Bentayga sales have blown up the roof, the Urus has an oversubscribed order book....The Levante sales are sluggish but the vehicle was marred with faults and defaults at launch. 

When it comes to Lotus, at least half of the 10k will be sold in China alone, that leaves only 5000 cars for the rest of the world. That is not that much. Lotus with the help of Volvo and Geely only has to execute.The parts bin is solid, the engineering strength involved is mighty and  the quality of the finished product is more than adequate. We get the "Chinese" Volvo over here, I sat in one very recently and I have nothing to say when it comes to assembly quality, it was way up there. 

When JMG said Lotus will only use modules and not a platform that was a bit of white lie so as to reassure the profane that Lotus DNA will not be diluted by the presence of Volvo DNA in the finished product. But the truth is as @TBD said, that Lotus has always used a high volume of parts coming from Ford, GM or Toyota, the core DNA of Lotus lies elsewhere. The truth is that we are going to get a tuned "'Scalable Product Architecture"  vehicle with a Lotus skin that will be developed thoroughly, they are giving themselves no less than 4 years, they could have been much faster I believe but there's a lot riding on the shoulders of this SUV not so much room for errors. Hopefully not a make or break scenario but the SUV will probably guarantee Lotus a greater level of "autonomy" within the group.

image.png

• Like 1

That's some minor ps to a Maserati Levante gran sport

Maserati-Levante-S-GranLusso-evo118-2.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

@bibs funny, I have thought that the car reminds me of the Maserati, but this pic clearly Shows how "simple" the Illustrators work today (have seen the maserati several times in munich and all I can say...".......ummpff" (personal taste of course....no as ugly as a Bentley betanxx but ...)

There aren't a lot of changes made, probably took them 15 mins! I think the Lotus SUV will be curvier and much prettier than that.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Very interesting indeed.

JMG hinted at a European factory for the Lotus SUV. Well we now know that Geely's Coventry will be put to use at least for the design and I'm going to guess key vehicle engineering.  Now Coventry is LEVC's home (formerly London Taxi Co.) they have have a brand new facility  that is able to build in excess of 20,000 car per year so. Even if they sell electric taxis and vans (soon) there's probably room for the SUV to manufacture the car there. Also, this taxi is using aluminium extrusions for its chassis something that would probably help keeping with the Lotus ethos. And I seem to remember reading somewhere that some key members of LEVC staff are former Lotus staff?!

I sense a future Lotus EV Luxobarge coming our way using the SPA V90 platform and I foresee a successor to the Elite because that Polestar 1 is begging for a twin sister.

Edited by NedaSay

"While a facility in Coventry was already on the cards before Geely acquired Lotus, Horbury said the purchase cemented that decision. “I could have expanded Gothenburg or Shanghai studios. When Lotus came along, I thought it was wise to maintain the creative work of Lotus in England. If we couldn’t expand Hethel with enough people to do all the projects, we’d better stay in England within reasonable distance.”

“The ambitions for Lotus are greater than before Geely came along. There is the possibility of building a whole group of vehicles which carry the Lotus name into areas that Lotus hasn’t been before.”

(Peter Horbury - Geely’s design boss.)

SUV lays the future for more jobs in 🇬🇧, a range of SUV's?? and other models!! Geely clearly has Porsche as it's benchmark. 

Fast EV Lotus Saloon anyone?!

IMG_6950.PNG

I quite like the look of this Porsche..

I really like that saloon render above and depending 0on price it could be the 2nd new Lotus I buy!   (even though it is general render, i know...).

But for christ's sake, I do hope they stick a proper engine in it rather than the electric crap.  By all means a petrol/electric hybrid if you really must, but not just an electric one. i like my sports cars (coupes, targa, whatever) to have proper engines in them. i know I am a laggard, a dullard, living in the past etc, but I just don't want an electric vehicle. And I suspect, i am not alone....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

On 24/04/2018 at 20:02, KAS-118 said:

The front looks Porsche to me.....

Snap! That's what i thought as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Well I certainly would not be hugging the tree would I @LotusLeftLotusRight!

Oh my god, please please don't tell me that render was a Porsche. i feel violated and physically sick now.  I need a drink....

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to play a little dirty sh!tty trick like that to post a picture of a Porsche on a Lotus Fanboy site? I mean, this is not the playground!

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

The Problem with the Porsche saloons are that they're massive - over 5m in length.

I personally just want a compact coupe what can (just about) seat 4 - an 'stretched' Evora with about 2 to 4 more inches (both rear legroom and headroom) would be fantastic - I can but dream.....

• Like 1

My wife dreams about an extra 2 - 4 inches too...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, KAS-118 said:

The Problem with the Porsche saloons are that they're massive - over 5m in length.

Unbelievably true. When I saw the new Panamera Tourismo in the mags I thought that it didn't look too bad, finally sorted the appearance of what is a Fugly car to make it merely bearable.

Thought it might make a decent second hand buy in a few years (residuals being very poor on Panameras), so I went to look at one. I found myself looking at it thinking, my god this is long. It was in a parking space with the back of it hung about 6 inches over the pavement and the front of it on the line. I turned around and there was a 911 (don't ask me what sort I have no idea) which had about a foot of space at the front and nearly 2 feet at the rear. Even the Cayenne next to that had space around it. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Generally, all cars are getting too big for my liking. That is probably why many BMW enthusiasts are choosing the M2 over the M3 (sorry, M4) these days. I have also being looking for a compact rwd coupé with the ability to seat 4 and the M2 is the only one I could find.

5 hours ago, KAS-118 said:

I personally just want a compact coupe what can (just about) seat 4 - an 'stretched' Evora with about 2 to 4 more inches (both rear legroom and headroom) would be fantastic - I can but dream.....

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

My wife dreams about an extra 2 - 4 inches too...

Not when I'm with her

• Haha 2

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Good news will put the company into profit, which means new cash flow for new sport cars, every sport car manufacturer are building SUVs or are about to for the same reason so why not Lotus.

Saw a camo suv this morning near the factory but first impression was very similar to a later Freelander.

Hard to tell with all those black and white swirls all over it but didn't look like what you would think Lotus suv would look like style wise.

Could have been something from a different project down the road at Engineering or a mule of some sort.

chipp

• Like 1

Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren,  Don't do SUV so why do Lotus need one?