free hit
counters
Lotus SUV... - Page 19 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

5 hours ago, Brian Braddock said:

joe public who mostly doesn’t know what a Lotis is.

I would argue that the Evora is a successful car. It is well loved and has a whole raft of new customers who haven't bought Lotus before. I don't know your history but have you owned one? Driven one? Because it says you have a Panther Solo..... Which I had to look up. It may just be the Evora isn't for you. However it is definitely for me and it is the First Lotus and numerous American muscle cars and other sports cars I have owned that my wife will drive. So another new convert.

After being in the Motor Industry a mere 25 years at various OEM's Dealers and other positions (Including Consultations for the Govt a while back), I can honest say you are wrong. Lotus need a boost of income right now and to do that they need a profit base. That has never come from Sports cars due to the high development costs compared to the numbers they will sell. Ferrari do it because they charge £200,000 + For their cars. Porsche do it because they have the vile Boxer, which is sold in huge numbers....plus an SUV which is really popular (And expensive) especially with Football typed. I just drove round London last week. The number of Porsche and Maserati SUV's I saw in Surrey were off the chart!

Lotus can absolutely do this and will do. If it's based on the Volvo SUV's which we assume it will be, then it will be from an excellent base unit that is already hugely popular. Add in Lotus DNA, a nice engine, handling and ride, some aggressive looks and Bob will be your uncle and fanny your aunt! I'm not saying it will be for everyone. I wouldn't want one. But I do think spreading your wings to make money is a good thing to do.

Good luck to them.

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was at Nissan at the time of the Qashqai launch and I can tell you first hand that they never had any idea that it was going to be such a massive hit. It was a total punt to nothing after years of struggling to gain C-segment market share! The timing was more luck than judgement.

Edited by Brian Braddock
  • Like 1

Can you post up some piccies of your Panther Solo? I remember when it was launched with its rotating lights and its Sierra Cosworth engine. It was widely lauded by the press and expected to become a great success. Sounds familiar!

• Haha 1

Of course you must have been in second Gear at best @C8RKH. As anything else you would be far exceeding the speed limit at 7000 revs :P

• Haha 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

13 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

Of course you must have been in second Gear at best @C8RKH. As anything else you would be far exceeding the speed limit at 7000 revs :P

Of course. That's why I used half a tank of fuel so quickly and less gear changes wear out the clutch in less time! :driving::happydance:

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

That mule is using Lynk & Co 01 skin,  but the wheel arches are quite large and the wheel base is different and the body width is clearly different from the chinese-swedish donor vehicle. So to "reassure" the SUV haters here,  they are not doing chassis tune for Lynk & Co, it is the Lotus SUV underneath, and  from the pics published on Motor1 looks like there's a lot of aluminium under the skin at the back be a powertrain/dynamics mule and no exhaust pipe visible so full EV. 

The plan is moving full speed ahead for the new product blitz.... By my count Lotus is developing 3 brand new vehicles concurrently, the Type 130 being in final stages, the New Sport Car following closely behind if not actually being well ahead and just postponed for the sake of product release, and the SUV... But Popham and co have set up a smoke screen saying the company would replace its sports cars first so  it would mean that there's at least one other car in early phase of development (with design spec already frozen)

So lets recap, initial budget for 3/4 vehicles, a factory overhaul, a new "shared" production unit in China,  a new dedicated R&D unit in China, new design studio and engineering and production unit in the UK, a satellite procurement office in Sweden. I'm starting to think that the mooted 1.9B USD is actually a shy estimate. Even with all the synergies the group does offer and massive components sharing between all future vehicles and lotus legendary ability to deliver development program on a dime... This number seems low.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Hmm, 031 is 130 written backwards. Is this the new Type 130 hypercar?

I saw two different numbered mules so probably not the 130.

chipp

👆

Ditto.

13 hours ago, NedaSay said:

So to "reassure" the SUV haters here,  they are not doing chassis tune for Lynk & Co, it is the Lotus SUV underneath, and  from the pics published on Motor1 looks like there's a lot of aluminium under the skin at the back be a powertrain/dynamics mule and no exhaust pipe visible so full EV. 

I don't understand why no exhaust means full EV? Our Skoda Karoq has no exhaust visible and the only battery in it is the one that starts the 1.8 ltr engine.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

^^The full EV conjecture comes from the direct observation of  a fellow poster of this very forum. The mule he saw was completely silent. I do know that this SUV will probably also come in PHEV and good old petrol burner but this mule is probably EV. 

lotus-suv-mule-spy-photo.jpg

asking a friend for the translation  for the chinese writings as i write this.Probably something the lines of high voltage and not sure she will be able to decipher it but worth a try.

Edited by NedaSay

Ah. I have not seen an all electric vehicle in good ol' Oz at all so if they had those on the windscreens, I would not know.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Just bought a Porsche Macan for Mrs Bazza and have to say it is a very nice bit of kit. If the Lotus SUV had been out I would probably have bought one..  

• Like 1

Do I take it that the SUV has now been shelved?

Maybe not shelved but put to the back of the queue.  Popham said in an interview a few months back that the focus was on new sports cars that appeal more to the mass market and selling them in greater numbers.  Once they achieved this they would consider developing a SUV.  He also said he would not be happy with using a rebadged platform from Volvo or other members of the Geely group.  The SUV would have to align well with the Lotus values of light weight, great handling, connected feel with the car etc ...  So either a bespoke platform for the Lotus SUV or a new group platform with heavy influence from Lotus.

• Like 1

This is probably best idea. IMO no point in making an SUV until the Lotus brand and dealership network has been built back up more.

It would be awesome if Geely allows them to create it from ground up instead of using existing platform.

• Like 1

Looks like the SUV skate is ready, Volvo just unveiled its CMA based XC40 full EV, this is in essence the base of the upcoming Lotus SUV who should borrow exactly the same powertrain architecture if seriously spruced up

Volvo-XC40-EV-Underpinnings-1-e156942107

Volvo and Geely will retain McPhersons strut and multilink at the back but I do expect Lotus will stick to its sporty true and tested double wishbone at the front and possibly at the back if the wheelbase of the prototype last spotted in July 2019 is anything to go by.

Volvo-XC40-EV-Underpinnings-10.jpg

To make matters simple for Lotus, Volvo and Geely saw fit to build an aluminum craddle for the the battery pack "the battery is protected by a safety cage which consists of a frame of extruded aluminium, and has been embedded in the middle of the car’s body structure, creating a built-in crumple zone around the battery." So building an aluminium chassis around that should not be too tricky

https://paultan.org/2019/09/25/fully-electric-volvo-xc40-suv-set-for-october-16-debut-ev-will-be-one-of-the-safest-cars-on-the-road/

Also, this Volvo sibling is going to be loaded with the latest tech in driver assistance and by just looking at the position Lotus has been trying to fill recently, the Lotus SUV may very well get its own bespoke version of this driver assistance package.

• Like 2