free hit
counters
Lotus SUV... - Page 8 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The 2.0L 4cyl turbo segment is pretty big right now!  The girlfriend wanted an Audi Q3, so we test drove the Q3, the BMW X1, the Nissan QX30, the Mercedes GLA, the Lexus NX 200t, and the Acura RDX (3.5l V6).  The Acura was too big for her!  She wanted a tiny luxury SUV!  The Evoque also would have been in that class.  I also wanted to test the F-Pace, but she had already decided on the Audi.  IMO the Audi was the slowest shifting by far, and the worst brakes.  I actually liked the QX30, since the double clutch on that was programmed much better than the same system on the GLA...

I would have steered her towards a Lotus if there was one ;)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome back doctor!

Cars like that are now bought for two reasons only in my opinion (1) to show off how wealthy you are and (2) instead of or to complement Art/Expensive Jewellery/etc.  They are now adornments - in time

Ant, If my dad can fit in an Evora then so can you. There are modifications you can make to drop the seat lower. I know my dad has resorted to removing the seat runners and dropping it down onto its f

Posted Images

downsizing of engines...

Read a great article recently talking about the regulations testing requirements post VWDieselGate... it suggested the new emissions regs would force the manufacturers to demo in varied conditions... soon as those turbos spool up fuel economy goes to ?

hopefully this means bigger engines are making a coming back in lighter cars (Japanese mainstream are upsizing!) more intelligent management systems in them.

On a purely black and white experiment a friend of mine has a new Focus RS, his fuel burn is the same as mine.. similar driving style, he's got a 2l 4cyl Turbo, I've got a 4l V8 NA...

I personally don't see the sense in downsizing too much for fuel economy because it doesn't really work across the full bandwidth.

Merc GLA, if it's like the A-Class I know what you mean, it never settles and is constantly changing gear.. didn't like it either. 

As long as she's happy that's what matters?

It was the dirty little secret of all the "downsizers" 2l turbo 4 inlines can be as powerful as 3l V6 at the cost of efficiency. Diesel has been the darlings of carmakers for years, supposed to be the holy grail but now we can see that  it is not that rosy... However downsized and hybridized propulsion systems should get more powerful and better efficiency especially if mated with 8, 9 or 10 speed gearboxes while still getting the internal combustion engine smaller.

Still BMW decided to go no smaller than 500cc per cylinder and adding the twin scroll turbo to provide greater low end boost. But it the end it always comes to power to weight in the perspective of a full system.  Volvo is ditching diesel in favour of and hybrid system

Companies are reassessing the strategies in realtime these days, McLaren V8 just went from 3.8l to 4.0l on the 720S for a reason I believe, Mercedes is supposed to add the 48v battery to their v6 models very soon: http://www.idtechex.com/research/articles/mercedes-48v-mild-hybrids-from-2017-00009836.asp  and Audi should follow suit in order to try to clean up their act with the TDI cheatmode debacle: https://paultan.org/2017/06/09/2018-audi-a8-can-coast-with-engine-off-at-160-kmh/

As for Lotus, with the potential SUV and the Geely purchase, Volvo could lend a precious hand by providing the supercharged and turbocharged 4 pot which does show very good fuel economy and emissions as the full system provides for greater effectiveness throughout the rev range, and also the hybrid T8 system which maybe an heavier system than the V6 supercharged and chargecooled but with access to Polestar could generate even more power without giving up on the fuel economy claim. 

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1
  • Gold FFM

@nerobi just confirms if you want a fat, sloppy, SUV then go to Porsche. If you want a lean drivers machine, go to Lotus.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

On 6/10/2017 at 10:26, C8RKH said:

@nerobi just confirms if you want a fat, sloppy, SUV then go to Porsche. If you want a lean drivers machine, go to Lotus.

Or Jaguar... in the case of a Sporty SUV. Cause the soon to be launched I-Pace is a bit of a looker inside and out 

2019-Jaguar-I-Pace-in-motion-%E2%80%93-C

I hope Geely can complete the purchase soon (acquiring more than the 51%), and if Lotus gets the green light from Geely on the SUV, they already know what's the new yardstick. 

I thought the F-Pace looked good, well this is one serious step above it. It is Macan sized and which means exactly the category Lotus said the SUV would be. In addition it has 400bhp, it is fully electric and is going to have all the latest bells and whistles JLR has been working on. The pics from the cabin are promising as it does not look to far removed from a full production version, it all looks like they've been hunting for unnecessary weight.

maxresdefault.jpg   

• Gold FFM

It must be seriously porky, I mean they've, even added three new steering wheel holes to help reduce the weight!

Does look nice though I will admit. And as an ex XJ owner I do like how Jaguar can combine a sporty ride with luxury. My XJ was an absolute dream to drive for 1000 mile round trip journeys for work....

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• 4 months later...

yes... that could definitely look better than my 2004 Cayenne Turbo (aka the P!G).

Though the Cayenne does have the bumps on the hood and the bumps for the front wheels and headlights that remind me of the Elise a bit when you look out the windshield.  looks better than a flat hooded SUV.  Looks like this Lotus design might have that feature as well.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Um.  I quite like it. 

I like the look of the thing and you can see the design cues from the current Lotus line up.  Petrol cap's on the "wrong" side, mind... 

Forgive my ignorance, but is it usual for a manufacturer to file a design at this stage? (I'm looking at you Nico for a sage answer on this one).

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Vulcan Grey said:

yes... that could definitely look better than my 2004 Cayenne Turbo (aka the P!G).

Though the Cayenne does have the bumps on the hood and the bumps for the front wheels and headlights that remind me of the Elise a bit when you look out the windshield.  looks better than a flat hooded SUV.  Looks like this Lotus design might have that feature as well.

Cayenne and Elise in the same sentence. Shame on you.

The Cayenne was the most fook ugly abomination of a car I had ever seen. Until Bentley came up with the Whyiayefookyouoh or whatever it is called.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Yup. Would take Kermit over miss piggy any time.

You can put a ring on a pig but its still a pig!

The Cayenne Turbo S is just a pug ugly total waste of metal for people with more money than sense.

You want a sports car then buy one. You want a 4x4 with luxury then get a Range Rover.

Sorry but I passionately hate the Cayenne S. It's like a BMW X6M. Just totally bloody pointless and pure chav.

But. It's a free country and we can all buy or loathe what we want. 

5 hours ago, Vulcan Grey said:

anyone see the design patent filed by Lotus for the SUV?

https://autorai.nl/lotus-suv-patentfotos/

lotus-suv-patentimage-001.jpg

lotus-suv-patentimage-002.jpg

That leak is timely. Now they just have to show the prototype at the 2018 Geneva motorshow or the Beijing Autoshow later in the year. 

These patent drawings look pretty good, It looks really distinctive from the Lynk 01 and Volvo XC40 and 60 which could provide underpinnings. t does look better than the Maccan but I may be biased. The fascia is distinctively "new" Lotus and the rear of the car in interesting. The roof line looks very low not too unlike the recently launched Jaguar E-Pace and actually based on these drawings  the comparison with the E-pace will be unavoidable, which is not that this is a bad thing.

2018-jaguar-epace-front-quarter.jpg

Edited by NedaSay
13 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The Cayenne Turbo S is just a pug ugly total waste of metal for people with more money than sense.

You want a sports car then buy one. You want a 4x4 with luxury then get a Range Rover.

Sorry but I passionately hate the Cayenne S. It's like a BMW X6M. Just totally bloody pointless and pure chav.

But. It's a free country and we can all buy or loathe what we want. 

A few doors away from here someone broke into their house and the only thing they stole was their Cayenne Turbo S from the drive. We suspected it might have a planned job to get rid of the dreadful thing having seen the light but a few days later they bought another one to replace it! 

Cars like this are simply a total waste of the Earths precious natural resources and should be made illegal.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Cayenne and Elise in the same sentence. Shame on you.

The Cayenne was the most fook ugly abomination of a car I had ever seen. Until Bentley came up with the Whyiayefookyouoh or whatever it is called.

It's called the Bentayga and I regret to say that it sells like hot cake. 

3 hours ago, Vulcan Grey said:

Lotus filed design patents for the Europa and Evora IIRC. I can't locate them now for some reason.

Europa ? a new Europa ? Interesting! And a patent design for the  future Evora is already out... That is really surprising. 

25 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

Europa ? a new Europa ? Interesting! And a patent design for the  future Evora is already out... That is really surprising. 

No the previous Europa, and original evora.

200492172534_lotus2.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

That's not an SUV, that's a Monster Truck.

By the way, whoever made those patent Lotus SUV sketches above didn't learn anything at Primary School art classes about perspective. Things look smaller, when they're further away, not bigger. Think Father Ted....