free hit
counters
brake judder - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I did a track day at Hethel on Saturday and whilst the car was generally brilliant it developed brake judder really quite quickly. I'm not too familiar with what causes this, but is it something to worry about or is it just a symptom of them being worked pretty hard on track. I've never noticed any issue on the road and whilst I have not changed them in the year I have owned or there still seems to be plenty left on the pads. It was serviced last week and nothing was flagged up then either.

Cheers

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If they got hot quickly you may have warped your discs, get the wheels off and have a look with a dial gauge to see if they are running true.

It can also be caused by using the handbrake after a session on track. Best plan is to leave it in gear or the discs can't vent heat where the pads are clamped on that spot.

Hand brake was left of all day

I will see if I can get the wheels off and take a look soon

They have seemed to be ok since but it has all been pretty sedate since. I'll take it for a spirited drive and see what happens

If the discs are warped, then speed will make no odds, you will feel judder when you brake.

On the IPS you would be able to warp your discs by leaving it in 'D' and holding the car on the breaks I would have thought?

The brakes would have to be extremely hot and be held for a while. You'll struggle to do that in the course of normal of even spirited driving. You only generate enough heat if you cane the car on track, don't do a cool down lap and then put the hand brake on.

I had this after a session on track as well and it was standard brakes and pads on 19/20's.

I also worried it was warped discs but turns out it was pad material build up and easily rectified by the dealer giving them a good clean and drilling out all the cross drillings  with a  hand held drill. After that fine again and not been on track again and still on the same pads/discs.

Agree with what Al. said above.

But another possibility is that you were outside the temperature range for those pads.  Especially since you said they only did it while hot, and haven't juddered since at normal speeds.

When you get a pad material too hot, some of them will increase in friction coefficient really rapidly, and the pad material starts bonding to the layer of pad material the has been transferred to the rotor, even as it is rapidly spinning.  You get a stick slip action that really vibrates the brakes, enough to feel it.

The pad material on the rotor is good, actually required for proper braking, unless it has built up unevenly, at which point you feel it even when the rotors are cold.  

Get them skimmed. No need to replace unless they are heavily worn already.

I had a similar sounding scenario, a new set is very expensive / unnecessary waist of existing metal!

Only skim if the discs are uneven. Go for a thorough clean first if you still get the issue. Also check your pads for operating temps as per Travis post.