free hit
counters
Your views on this welcome... - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DaveC72

Your views on this welcome...

So, a little advice/ reassurance from you all please?

Since buying the car it's had some niggles, and an issue with BT connectivity, which has meant a couple of trips to the dealer.  When I last took it in there were some other issues to be resolved:

The nearside headlamp unit wiring came loose. The cruise control wiring came loose. And the powerfold mirrors stopped working.

Whilst the car was in having these resolved, an oil cooler notice came in. No drama.

So far, the parts have taken nearly two weeks to arrive - which in itself is just annoying - and in carrying out the oil cooler, the technician "has found that in carrying out the Lotus Recall modification to the Oil Cooler Line, the two Oil Coolers themselves will need to be replaced as the bolts have stripped their threads on removal".

Am I having a run of bad luck, is this normal, poor service, of should I STFU and get on with my life?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When I got the car the tyre pressure sensors were not displaying. Booked it in and they diagnosed a faulty unit. That took 2 weeks to arrive. Brought the car in again. After installing the new unit they discovered that 3 out of 4 sensors were broken. Picked the car up, waited a week, brought it again and picked it up a few days later.

So bad luck and STFU I guess? ;)

PS: I'm trying to say that I had to make 3 trips and wait about a month because of the TPMS. Bad luck.

Edited by MrStephens

Bad Luck I'd say Dave.

One of the issues seems to be that your dealer may be ordering the parts on "Standard" lead times. With all the manufacturers I know, this means they get full margin on them from Lotus.

If it is your daily drive you should be able to order them COR (Car Off Road) as some Manufacturers call it "Urgent" would be a better name for it. The dealer normally only gets a 5% margin or a reduced margin on parts ordered like this so many dealers don't like to order them for 24/48 hour delivery.

However, I have found that a call to them asking where you send the invoice for car hire as you can't get to work without the car, normally makes them pull their finger out!

Stripping the thread on removal is surely payable by the dealer? Why should you be liable (even if it is just in waiting to get your car back?).

S'ng TFU  ;)

Thanks for the responses.

To be fair, I'm currently driving their Jag XF courtesy car, so it's not like I'm immobile, and they're not charging me for any of the work.

This was the third visit since February, which was a week last Saturday.  I guess I'm just miffed as I can't drive the car I chose to be my daily drive.  

So, "bad luck", and just need to man up, I guess?

Just to clarify what Kimbers said with regards to Lotus. TLF have a dealer account with the factory so supply parts to many of our members.

Lotus call this a VOR and there's a fixed charge for it. Basically, any car in a dealership is of course of the road and most dealers place a parts order once or twice a week. If you happen to go in after their Weds parts order for example, your required part will be on their Monday order so won't arrive until next Tuesday. With a VOR order, the dealer will place an extraordinary parts order and the factory will process it for next day delivery hence the charge.

If parts are taking more than a week to arrive on a normal order, that means the factory are out of stock and a back order is placed. The dealer then automatically gets the parts once Lotus ASO have them in stock. 

• Like 1

S'ng TFU ;)

Thanks for the responses.

To be fair, I'm currently driving their Jag XF courtesy car, so it's not like I'm immobile, and they're not charging me for any of the work.

This was the third visit since February, which was a week last Saturday. I guess I'm just miffed as I can't drive the car I chose to be my daily drive.

So, "bad luck", and just need to man up, I guess?

It does sound like you're being looked after BUT IMHO if Lotus want to position the Evora as a thinking person's 911 they really need to get the owners experience above what a 911 owner would expect.

I'd expect a two week wait for Morgan to cut down a tree and make a new panel but that's why I wouldn't buy one!

I love my car and it's by far the best car I have owned but build quality is not it's forte. (2013 Evora S auto)

I haven't been in a modern 911 but I can't imagine that a 911 would have as many niggles as mine does. Simply think of them as character traits, not faults. ;)

Edited by MrStephens

What types of 'niggles' are are we talking about? Do they reduce your pleasure of ownership? I'd be coming from a Lexus isf when I jump so want realistic expectation! I'd be looking at a MY2012 onwards.

Stu

I have posted this before somewhere. I have owned the car for almost 1 year now. In that time I had these things done:

• Rusty front grilles replaced
  • Passenger side door release didnt work anymore
  • 3 tyre pressure sensors
  • Tyre pressure monitoring module
  • 'Sports' button broken -> IPS panel replaced
  • Heater controlls illumination broken -> Panel replaced (I think?)
  • Rattle coming from engine bay (at the garage now)
  • BT worked like crap with my iPhone 5 but works like a charm with my LG G3

Except the passenger door not working, nothing that would stop you from driving (the door is a safety risk I guess). Well the rattle was annoying enough to not drive it.

However: This car drives like a dream. I would buy one again. In a heart beat.  :unworthy:  :wub:

At the same time I have to warn you. Once you are used to it everything I have gone back to feels horrible. Inaccurate, sluggish, too much roll, etc. Even the Gran Turismo S which is supposed to be 'sporty' just feels so numb and heavy footed... I am spoiled for life now. :'(

Edited by MrStephens

Is there an extended warranty company owners tend to use?

Stu

I'm properly hacked off this morning. Car back at last. Had to chase dealer to get updates. The one service advisor told me the car would be ready and they would ring me when it was. This person then went on holiday. No update. Speaking to another service advisor, having had to chase, turns out car would be ready, but not all remedial work is yet completed.

Two weeks. Work not complete.

Now, today, I am travelling up to Hethel for a factory tour and track session.

Go to start the car this morning. Nothing. Starter motor whirrs. Dashboard not lighting up on ignition. Plenty of current and volts in battery. Tried, ignition cycles, locking cycles and disconnecting battery etc.

Now travelling in OH's Discovery.

I am properly, properly romffed.

Doesn't sound good at all Dave. Hope you get it sorted. Is it worth talking to another dealer? Sounds like it might be for all the angst you are getting.

Well, I can happily report that the car is finally back and the romance is still all there.  If anything, absence has made the heart grow fonder...

Driving in rush hour traffic has proved to be no more annoying than in my previous 3 series - surprisingly easy in fact.

I have noticed that the ventilation system is a little *cough* inefficient.  When I met with some other owners at the weekend, this was an acknowledged "feature".   Have others on here found the same?

Oh, and the door needs a proper slam to get the window to seat up flush and allow me to lock the car - though having searched the forums this looks like just an alignment issue, and easily rectified by the dealer.

I have noticed that the ventilation system is a little *cough* inefficient.  When I met with some other owners at the weekend, this was an acknowledged "feature".   Have others on here found the same?

Your expectations are too high. 

You should have spent more time in an elise / exige / vx220 - it's amazing in comparison to that :D

To be fair the VX heater worked well.

When you were stationary in traffic.

On a really hot day. 

:harhar:

Genuine laugh out loud moment at these responses.  Thanks.

It does make a lot of noise when at max chat for very little movement of air, so Asthmatic is a good description!

To put it in context the Evora was my only car over winter on 40 mile (each way) commute on A roads and motorways and it coped fine.

Heater wasn't in the same league as my old mx5 or even my wifes fiat 500 but it didn't see me arriving at work shivering or having to wear layers of underarmour in the same way my bike does. 

Likewise it coped in 25 degree temps during the one day of summer Scotland had last year. 

So not amazing, but adequate. 

But then you open the garage and LOOK at it

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

• Like 1

It does make a lot of noise when at max chat for very little movement of air, so Asthmatic is a good description!

Usually that's a sign of a blocked cabin air filter.

Usually that's a sign of a blocked cabin air filter.

Ah, thanks Bibs - will have to have a look in to this.

<-searching the forum now!

In some of the very early posts in the early days there was a lot of talk about the poor AC system.  Most seem to have accepted these as "TADTS".  All 4 of mine have been identical characterised by the following.  

There are 10 levels of cold and 2 of warm (not hot) on the rotary control.  The full hot takes a long time to produce it as well.  Turn it down one 'dot' and you get cooler.  Turn it down 2 'dots' and you get cold all the rest of the way.

Fan off and no air seems to move in the car through any of the outlets in any of the positions.

Fan at 1st position doesn't seem much better, so consequently my fan sits never below 2nd position and I go up to 3 occasionally.

The demise function clears the passenger side first then eventually deals with the drivers side leaving the bit directly in front of the driver until last.  It certainly ensures you drive off with a clear windscreen if you have the patience. I rarely do on the 2 of us leaving the gym/pool when hot/wet etc. after showers in the winter.  Really annoying as you sit in the car park for 5-10 mins depending on outside air temp.  

The distribution button seems to more or less do as indicated although I have noticed latest car has its own characteristics when blowing hot air at the screen it also seems to allow ram driven cold air to decend down onto your legs and feet from somewhere.  Apparently if you wear a skirt (not kilt as too heavy & long!) it is more noticeable!

That is just the clean end of the system.  The grubby end seems to have its fair share of issues as well if you search & I must admit I run & check my system all the time even in winter so I'd know if the cold side was failing or the clutch part or the compressor seizing up.  Although you may well ask why bother in Jockland and you'd have a fair point..........  I may drive it somewhere warm sometime is the answer!

All these items are improved on the Evora 400 it seems.  They were ignored or not picked up on by most, in the 400 release notes as everybody OD'ing on performance and handling, but one of the areas JPG has resolved along with door sills and buttons. Longer term owners will probably appreciate the new car more than most!  Now where is the piggy bank?  :thumbsup:

This actually made me laugh Al.

The two dots of warm in particular.

There are 10 levels of cold and 2 of warm (not hot) on the rotary control.  The full hot takes a long time to produce it as well.  Turn it down one 'dot' and you get cooler.  Turn it down 2 'dots' and you get cold all the rest of the way.

lol my car is the opposite... I get 1.5 dots of cold (coldest position doesn't really click in) and the rest of the range is different degrees of hot.

Several known issues here:

• When trying to heat but driving above low spead cold air is actually pushed into the cabin through the recirculation duct. This makes for cold feet, particularly on the pax side. There is a workaround on Seloc (alternatively change to recirculation). 
  • The air inlet fot the HVAC is in the front duct behind the radiator. As a result the incoming air temperature varies widely depending on speed and,  in fact,  how close you are to the car in front on the highway. You can get freezing cold in one circumstance and then need to turn on the AC when hitting a traffic jam a few miles  later. 

What the Evora really lacks is an automatic control to compensate these effects. 

Some great information.  Thank you all.

Spent 3.5 hours travelling back from Barking to home yesterday and having taken all if the above in to consideration - managed not to melt.  Even for the 45 minutes stuck in traffic on the A3 by Guildford.

I am genuinely, constantly amazed at the ease with which this car copes with frequent stop /start in traffic.  It really is no drama at all.  Several warm and hot hatches I have owned previously would have made much harder work of it, and the BMW M car would have had me in pieces.

Mind you - I did appreciate other things more when the roads opened up again :scooter: