free hit
counters
Esprit Wanted - Wanted - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
BustTheRust

Esprit Wanted

Hi there,

I've always liked the Esprit and would love to own one and am therefore interested in buying one.

I'm not in any particular hurry as I'd prefer to make sure I find the right one rather than rushing into it.

Preferably, I would like an S4 as i've read that these have some chassis improvements over earlier models although a turbo model from the late 80's - early 90's would also work, the main point however, is that I would prefer a project vehicle, or at least a vehicle that requires a fair bit or a lot of work required on it.

My initial budget is about £7.5k, I know this may not be very much, but as I would prefer to get a vehicle that requires work, where a lot of additional cost would be incurred, I feel this would be reasonable. I am aware of the costs and time involved to restore an Esprit and am prepared for the work involved.

Any information on where I could possibly get a vehicle like this or if you are aware anyone who has got a vehicle like this and would be looking to sell, I would be very keen to know.

Thanks

Alex

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to TLF Alex. :welcome:

I presume you are in the UK so the guys over there may be more able to help. You could keep an eye on the TLF Ads as well, but I don't think there are many project cars on there.

You should duck over to the Introductions section and say hi in there as well. :)

Hi and welcome Alex, good luck with your  search. Have you seen the one that was on ebay the other week it may be what you are looking for, needs a fair bit of work, been previously damaged and partially rebuilt.

Hi Alex

Welcome - I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.......

Best of luck in the search - whereabouts in the UK are you

Thanks guys,

John, i'm not sure which one you you were referring to, there is this one on ebay at the moment, auction no. 221608135936.

But not entirely sure what to make of it as it's Cat C which could be a bit of a problem, price does seem a bit steep too really especially as it is Cat C, although only really requires some body work apparently, although would definitely be a good idea to get it checked due to it's hpi history.

Barry, I'm located in the West Midlands, Shropshire specifically, but I don't mind looking pretty far afield for the right vehicle.

Don't believe you even need to tell the insurance company if it's a cat C or D. I own a cat C every day car and never had a problem with it.

Alex

There's an up and coming event - at mbw brooklands......... Maybe an esprit lurking for a new owner somewhere there.

It's got to be worth a run out - you will see some great cars........oh and mine!!! Which is "up and coming" as the estate agents would say!!

Cat C needs a check prior to going back on the road, very simple thing to have done. Cat D means insurance deem to expensive to repair, bullocks, usually a very simple knock, once repaired nothing more needed.

I don't think the VIC check, which is required to get a Cat C car back on the road, takes into account the quality of the repair. Its only interested in establishing the identity of the vehicle. 

:)

Absolutely correct.

When I vic'd my old van which I wrote off - they were only interested in the vin plate, engine nos and any other security markings

They did however require a new mot

Yeah, when I said a check, I meant more to check on the quality of the work done so far since a VIC would of course be a given if one hasn't already been done.

I'll look into that event Barry, thanks for letting me know about it.