free hit
counters
20L Jerry Cans are Illegal - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

20L Jerry Cans are Illegal

• Gold FFM

I took my trusted 20 litre jerry can to the petrol station to fill up with petrol but the garage bloke said they were now illegal. Somewhat surprised as I'd used it before, although that was quite a few years ago.

It seems he's completely right - BBC linky.

Signature not working...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They are ok over here I'm pretty sure so you can send it to me if you want. :P

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

I took my trusted 20 litre jerry can to the petrol station to fill up with petrol but the garage bloke said they were now illegal. Somewhat surprised as I'd used it before, although that was quite a few years ago.

It seems he's completely right - BBC linky.

No, it seems he's completely wrong.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/portabable-petrol-storage-containers.pdf

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

How very odd. The bloke at the petrol station (Shell) even showed my an email where it stated that they were not allowed. The BBC says they're illegal "it is illegal to store petrol in one of these because you are not allowed to carry 20 litres in just one container". For diesel it's different though.

The bloke wouldn't even let me put 5 or 10 litres in the 20 litres can.

So the 20L cans aren't illegal, but you're only allowed to store a maximum of two 10L cans of petrol at home (plus two 5L plastic cans for a maximum 30L in total). 

Screw it, bought a 10L jerry can. 

Signature not working...

Big brother madness, whatever next, i hope they dont stop me pi..... into a pop bottle while im driving, after all that could be seen as storing dangerous fluids :huh: 

Dont worry,be happy.............

Big brother madness, whatever next, i hope they dont stop me pi..... into a pop bottle while im driving, after all that could be seen as storing dangerous fluids :huh: 

I'm more worried about the screwing on of the lid whilst moving and the fitting in a pop bottle neck. :shock:

Also have the image to try and get rid of.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

The ridiculous world we live in.

I'm not allowed to take any rubbish away from customers site........ If I do I need a waste carriers licence!!!!

The complete lunacy in this country is unreal. Just checking which shoelace I need to tie first this morning in order to avoid a fine

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Try this HSE link regarding storage. There's nothing to stop you storing up to 30 litres of petrol, there's nothing to say it has to be in 10 litre cans, either.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

Indeed, that link clearly states:

What containers can I use to store petrol?

The legislation allows you to store petrol in the following containers:

• Plastic containers storing up to 10 litres.
  • Metal containers storing up to 20 litres.
  • Demountable fuel tank up to 30 litres.

The bloke was only quoting the memo he was given, but he might have misinterpreted it. When I take my 10L to fill up with Vpower, I think I'll ask him for a copy of the memo.

Signature not working...

Indeed, that link clearly states:

What containers can I use to store petrol?

The legislation allows you to store petrol in the following containers:

• Plastic containers storing up to 10 litres.
  • Metal containers storing up to 20 litres.
  • Demountable fuel tank up to 30 litres.

The bloke was only quoting the memo he was given, but he might have misinterpreted it. When I take my 10L to fill up with Vpower, I think I'll ask him for a copy of the memo.

There's a big difference between what you can legally store at home (and how you can legally do so) Vs what the PFS's licence allows them to have fuel dispensed into. That licence will be issued by the relevant local authority, often the local fire service or council.

Because fire services etc don't want people carrying 100s of litres of petrol about in their vehicles in vessels that are not subject to regular scrutiny (a fuel tank of the vehicle is) they set limits on what it can be dispensed into. That way, by controlling the route to get it in the first place, they can try to stop stupid people storing fuel at home in wheelie bins or driving around with containers of fule just in case they run out etc. Many fire services have therefore set limits of 2 x5l plastic (appropriately marked and to BS......) or 1x10l metal (appropriately marked), as the petrol is more dangerous in vapour form mixed with air than in liquid, they really want containers to not be half full*.

Even more ridiculous though is: Diesel or heavy oil as it should be known (the engine is a Diesel design, the fuel is heavy oil, and DERV means Diesel Engined Road Vehicle) is not covered by the licensing laws as for petrol, but limits are often set the same for that fuel as fr petrol to make it less complicated. Diesel will not ignite by a flash in the same way petrol will, it needs assistance in making it vaporise (wick, spray jet etc) to mix with air, whereas petrol, will vaporise naturally at any temperature found on the surface of the Earth meaning a spark can set it off and will burn until the fuel / Oxygen supply runs out (so it's not even safe in the Arctic/ Antarctic).

* If it's empty, meaning just residual vapour, then there's enough for a flash or possibly small explosion but not that followed by a long aggressive burn. If it's full then there's less vapour for the initial flash, so not as likely to then damage the integrity of the container etc and lead to a spill of liquid. If it's full with just a suitable amount of space for fluid expansion etc then it's the safest way to transport it.

• Like 1

The problem becomes even sillier when considering petrol driven boats on the Thames. You are allowed to carry 2 x 5 litre plastic containers, plus one 10 litre plastic comtainer, plus one 2 gallon steel container with a screw top as approved for carriage by rail, plus a fuel tank for an outboard motor. The problem goes back to the original legislation...in 1929...which predates the jerrycan!! Thus the best form of petrol container...as the 8th Army found in the Western Desert....doesn't figure. Of course, very few bankside petrol pumps exist....so one has to carry petrol to the boat in containers. There is no logic or sense to the regulations.

Fortunately, my boat has lived in France for the past 20 years...where nobody gives a toss.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Can a mod change the title of this thread to "20L Jerry can are NOT illegal" please? :)

While I was filling up at a different Shell garage today I asked the lass behind the counter what containers were allowed. She said 20L metal jerry cans are allowed. I mentioned the issue I had with another Shell garage and she said a recent internal memo had caused some confusion. 

So there you go!

Signature not working...

My Dad and I found this out a few weeks ago, it's a bit of a weird situation, living in Suffolk, if you go to fill a jerry can up in a petrol station in Ipswich Borough Council area, toward town centre and in that sort of area, they stop you. However in Suffolk Coastal District petrol stations, they don't and we are able to fill up our 3 jerry cans without a problem! Seems to me that it depends on the councils and what they have said to the local petrol stations...