free hit
counters
Light beam thrown to the left on dip ! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cushing

Light beam thrown to the left on dip !

Had a strange one today, took the car for an MOT and she failed due to the lights being thrown the wrong way. I've just installed the kit from PNM engineering so I thought they had sent RHD by mistake, but they have sent LHD, Tried several bulbs but no good. Has anybody else had a similar problem ? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Stephen,

I have exactly the same problem and have been trying to find both the cause and a solution for the past week. PNM has been very helpful, contacting the manufacturer and confirming the the markings on the glass are what should determine the beam pattern. But despite different markings, the supposed LHD headlamps give exactly the same pattern as the old RHD headlamps (also from PNM, installed by the previous owner shortly before I bought the car). Like you, I tried swapping bulbs, but to no avail.

I'm sure we will find a solution, but it is annoying not being able to pass MOT just because of the lights...

On my previous Esprit I had the same set from PNM, with the same bulbs, and very pleased with those.

Filip

I got a full PNM kit (backplates, lamps the lot) for my UK car. All fitted and MOTd without a problem.

Yes, PNM have been very helpful, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, but I do need to get the car MOT'ed.

Update from PNM:

"We have tested the lights here and have located the problem with them. The bulb position is wrong due to them being assembled wrong in the manufacturing process. The bulb holder was offset when it should be vertical so the bulbs were sending the beam in the wrong direction.

The lamps appear to all be assembled in this way so this is an issue that Valeo will need to rectify for their customers (other than us)
We have fixed your lamps, tested them in an MOT testing station for LHD beam and will send them back very shortly.
Apologies for the inconvenience."

I had sent my lights back to them for comparison with a new set from the manufacturer and to identify the problem. Good service and as soon as I get the correct set I'll take the car to Belgian MOT.

Stephen, I'm sure yours will be on their way soon as well.

Filip

Yes, I have spoken with them today, they've been very helpful regarding this and even going to send a new set to me today so I can get my car tested, Happy with that :-) 

Received replacement lights from PNM, big thank you to them, but still not 100%. I did however find that if I moved the bulb further into the light fitting I could obtain a better picture, so afro-engineered the bulb holder, (see pictures before and after), and finally got it MOT'ed so all is good.

post-17533-0-94564700-1433723469.jpg

post-17533-0-03104300-1433723502.jpg