free hit
counters
Cam Cover Crackle Paint - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
G_Reaper

Cam Cover Crackle Paint

Hi has anyone got the definitive match for the original cam cover paint.

I can see VHT crinkle paint on ebay but is the red or orange the best match?

Cheers Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The VHT red stuff from Frosts is a very close match I understand or you can, I think, get the original paint from Colourcote in Potash Lane, Hethel which is over the road from the factory.

I bought three tins of the paint in the picture below and actually only used one tin for all parts on my Turbo HC, so it did both cam covers, the diffuser, plenum backplate and the plenum cover.

I have 2 tins left, enough for two more engines, free to a good home if you can collect from near Great Yarmouth or Coventry.

I machined a lot of the red parts for both 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder engines when I worked at Lotus, the colour and finish looks the same to me. I remember peeling the masking tape off the parts after it had been through the Colorcote ovens was not a good job.

post-17806-0-78302000-1431208995.jpg

post-17806-0-61542900-1431209208.jpg

Hi guys, does this stuff need any etch prepping? Will be doing mine in black in due course.

Thx

I don't think so...I never did when I've painted mine wrinkle black. Also if you spray, you can then (carefully!) wipe the paint off the polished bits with a bit of rag around a finger, whilst it's still wet...no need to mask...then polish up properly after it's all dry.

• Like 1

Any idea if this stuff would work on the plastic engine cover for the Evora na? Would the plastic need prepping first?

Thanks

This stuff doesnt work if you spray it in winter in an unheated garage. Summer job only.

Speaking from experience:)

Steven How does the colour match to the original colour?

If it is a good match I would gladly give your paint a new home.

Cheers  Mike

Hi, would the VHT paint work by spraying some into a lid & applying it with a brush ? I just want to touch in some small chipped areas on my S4s engine.

Cheers, Phil.

In order to get that proper "crackle finish", use paint stripper to remove all old paint first, When totally clean, spray everything and put into a pre heated oven (don't tell the wife) at 200 degrees, or put on the central heating boiler for half hour, This heat helps the paint to wrinkle properly. It does stink the whole house out though!!

When dry, the paint from the raised surfaces is removed gently with a stanley knife (or similar) blade.

Have used this procedure and results are perfect.

Don't think that trying to paint chipped areas will work, best do the whole thing.. 

When I did mine, I first coated the stripped covers with an epoxy primer, I tought it would help. I found that the VHT red (which I used) is too red compared to the original finish so I bought a can of VHT orange GM enamel. Now of course the orange was too orange!!! So after some tests, I ended up spaying the red crinckle paint and finely mist it with the orange before I warmed the covers with a blow torche from a distance ( don't over do it like I did in one spot...)

The color is a very close to the original shade and is still sticking after a few years (not driven really hard since though...)

Luc

FYI Rover Vermillion is a perfect match :thumbup:

OK which is nearest the original colour VHT Red or Orange?

Cheers Mike

OK which is nearest the original colour VHT Red or Orange?

Cheers Mike

I used red, as described above, I used to machine the parts at lotus and from memory I cannot tell the difference. I haven't seen the orange.

post-6531-0-17949000-1434302844.jpg

Here is what mine looks like, the intake is original, I just repainted the covers. They were slightly overcooked...

Hi, would the VHT paint work by spraying some into a lid & applying it with a brush ? I just want to touch in some small chipped areas on my S4s engine.

Cheers, Phil.

yes you can do that, wave a heat gun around it to warm it up and it wrinkles

• Like 1