free hit
counters
Radiator cooling fan - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
johnpwalsh

Radiator cooling fan

Yesterday a friends cooling fan went into overheat mode and fried itself, suspected cause. It was an old motor which had been lying about for years out in the elements and even though it worked fine for a while I suspect it was on its way out due to internal corrosion etc. So today I fitted a replacement for him which works fine on the bench, stuck it in the car and no joy, took a supply from a battery charger to the connections on the motor, and yep no probs. Disconnected the feed to the otter switch and connected bridged with a short piece of wire effectively switching the fan permanently on with the ignition, still not working. Checked all the fuses down by the foot well all ok. Could the overheated old motor have damaged a relay and if so which one. I am no electrical guru so any assistance would be great.

Please dont say use a meter and try this or that as I dont have one and probably wouldnt know if I was doing it correctly if I had. For me it's a case of swap this bit for that one, test it then go to the next.

Thanks in advance guys.

John.

Oh and just as an afterthought, now you know that a cooling fan off a Rover 25 is exactly the same as an Eclat, all you have to do is drill out the pop rivets and replace with bolts for the frame.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

yup there is a fan relay,it is fed by 2 separate fuses,on the elite it was on inner wing drivers side

Hi John , If your not happy using a meter buy a simple test light ,just attach the crocodile clip to anywhere on the engine

and the other end holds a light bulb with a probe ,this you touch to the place where you should have a supply ,if it lights up

then your problem is further down the line ,if not then you have to work backwards towards the supply .saves a lot of chopping and

changing

hope its of some use   Ian

You are obviously not getting power to the fan or it is not grounded. 

At times, electrical components stop working and many times, it is just a loose ground so check and make sure the fan is grounded.

You can do this with a meter or a test light as Ian just mentioned.

You can also just run a temporary wire from any place that you know is ground like the engine block or head to the fan. You can also do this with a temp 12v power source. Simple and fast.

When it becomes difficult to find the problem, I, many times, just run a new wire from the fuse box and start over.

Wiring is quite simple but not easy at times to figure out and usually there is only one problem to fix at a time.

I found many wires under my Elites dash that were fried and had over heated and melted. So this is also a place to look.

atb,

Richard

Cheers guy's. Should have remembered the crappy earth's earlier as I had problems on a previous project with the same issue. I will update in a couple of days once I get back over to my mates.

As always on here very helpful bunch of guys.

John.