free hit
counters
What do my numbers mean? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CharlieCroker

What do my numbers mean?

Car stamped: Unit 777061067A, Engine: DL7770613838.

And where do I find the chassis number?

Thanks,

Charlie ;-)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The first of your numbers probably has an extra 7 in it. It should be 2 groups of four numbers, yours is as follows:

77 - year of manufacture

06 - month of manufacture

1067A - sequential number (Elite S1s for the home market were numbered 0001A-1636A) (A indicates domestic)

The engine number breaks down thus:

D - Domestic standard

L - Domestic with a/c and PAS

Then you should have 907 (engine type) followed by:

77 - year of manufacture

06 - month of manufacture

13838 - serial number

There should be a number stamped on the chassis but I'm not sure where this is. Normally when people talk about the chassis number, it is the unit number you refer to that they mean.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Edited by rjwooll
  • Like 1

Cheers Rich, much clearer now. Wouks still love to know where the chassis numbers is, anyone?

On an S1, its on the plaque in the engine bay.

They only stamped the chassis frame itself on the later S2's. Being glassfibre they couldn't stamp the body which made ringing these cars ridiculously easy back in the day....

This is why I am always slightly concerned when I see details on a car that don't quite add up to its spec. Changing the identity on an S1 is as easy as swapping numberplates and drilling out two rivets under the bonnet.

further discussion on elite and eclat chassis markings (and location on S2's) here:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/65139-any-full-restorations-with-q-reg-issues-from-dvla/?hl=%2Bstamped+%2Bchassis#entry506244

• Like 1

They did mark a lot of the fibreglass panels with the last 6 digits of the chassis number inside to assist with the build in the factory.

Inside door panels, light pods, bonnet etc..will be marked with marker pen or sometimes written while the gel is still soft.

• Like 1