free hit
counters
Ignition failure - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Car is finally back from dealers.  Went to start it yesterday before driving up to Hethel and it's not very well...

Symptoms:

Ignition position 1 - red backlight on instrumentation dials 

Ignition position 2 - as above and engine warning lights come up as in normal start up  

Ignition position 3 (for start) - whirring noise from engine bay, but not engine - no crank or otherwise :( and dials backlight goes out

Any ideas?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Flat battery?

I've accidentally flatten mine a couple of times working on the ICE.

Very similar symptoms.

Tris...

That was exactly my thought Tris.

What I can't understand is why I'm getting the electric whirr if the battery was completely dead.

Battery been on charge for about 24 hours - and I disconnected it to ensure that there was no earth drawing down the charge I was putting in.

I'm just back from another look and did notice the headlamps flicker when I reconnected the battery.  Coincidentally, the car is just back from dealers and the nearside headlamp unit was one of the "rectified items".

I've left it back on charge now and will try again later.

Just recently I had the same symptoms.  Left radio on after having the car laid up for 4 weeks while I washed it and worked nearby in garage.  Jumped in it after about 4 hours and the dreaded whirring above.  Charged battery for about 10 mins and left charger attached and it started immediately.  Seems the battery has enough power to turn the starter motor but not throw the Bendix (?) gear fully forward to engage with the flywheel.  Well that is what I deduced from cars of old but maybe these are different.

Now bought a CTEK charger for the next 4 weeks away.........  Also fitted the remote plug extension cables for it as it took longer to access and replace the battery cover and gubbins than it did to charge it!  :thumbdown:

Yep, I use the cigarette lighter in th boot for connecting ctek.

Jobs a goodun.

All the symptoms do point to battery issues.

Battery has been on charge since my last post.  

Still no joy - and it sounds like the charge has increased as I can now hear the bendix being thrown too.

I'm pretty sure that something has gone awry on the electrics whilst they were working on either the BT, headlamps or cruise control.

I am glum.

Have you considered jump starting the car to make sure there is nothing more serious.

At least then you will know the car itself is running properly.

Tris...

Thanks Tris.

Car has been jumped and recovered by the dealer whilst they investigate.  Almost certainly an earth drawing down the charge from the battery.

Currently pootling about in an Abarth courtesy .  Kind of fun, in a "nice to try, but wouldn't buy one" kind of way...

I've had the Evora since February and feel like an amputee without it.

So, you were all right - Battery issue.

Turns out the battery itself was FUBAR, despite only being replaced in December before I bought the car. Cruise control still not sorted - which is not essential for me, but the car comes out of warranty in June so I'd like to get it all sorted before then so stuck with the Arbath for another week.

If anyone's interested, the Arbath is a 595. It's actually not a bad little car, rorty engine, nice handling etc, but completely ruined by the $hittest automatic box I've ever come across. What a waste.  Quite thirsty when pushed though - was in the low 20s last night :P