free hit
counters
Compression Testers - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Qavion

Compression Testers

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a professional quality compression tester. I bought a kit from eBay for A$35 for use on my '89 SE and got some bizarre results using different attachments.

e.g. 120psi using the rubber hose/screw in type attachment (no changes in gauge reading in time), but 145~150psi using the rubber tipped manual hold in type.... but the reading dropped a little after the gauge was removed.

When you have a flexible hose, you can only put a limited amount of turning force on the screw thread when fitting the hose (which may lead to leaks). There is no room to get spanners/crowsfeet on the threaded end to turn it.

I can't figure out why the schrader valve would leak in the second case, but not in another.

Like the gentleman in another message thread, I forgot to have the engine warmed up and the accelerator pedal depressed during some of my earlier tests and was only getting 85~90 psi.

Do professional testers come with a braided hose for more torque and less pressure loss due to the flexing of the rubber?

Thanks

Cheers

Ian.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

All the compression testers I've used, both cheap and professional ones, have relied on an O ring to seal the tool. You don't want to tighten them too much or the O ring gets damaged.

Thanks for the warning, Derek.

Cheers.

Ian.

I bought a cheap one off ebay with various attachments that snapped together using air hose type attachments and it was rubbish!! All the attachments leaked and of course got really low readings and i when i looked at the same kit on amazon all the reviews slated it and said the same thing.

I ended up buying a gunson one which had only two thread adapters but the reviews on amazon were great.

Used it (only had to hand tighten in plug hole as previously said) and got correct, good readings.

no1 - 166   no2 - 170  no3 - 169 no4 - 171

Seems the cheap little kits on ebay are absolute pants!!!

Just ordered a Gunson G4101...

Thanks, Peter :)  I'm not hoping for values similar to yours, but I'm hoping for a few extra psi at least.

Edited by Qavion