free hit
counters
Few ips questions - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stuno1

Few ips questions

Hi folks juts the a few noddy questions.

1. How quick are the fear shifts from paddle to shift?

2. When the car down shifts does it rev match and blip the throttle?

3. Are there any real draw backs to the box?

Stu

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Stu, not got mine yet but I'm sure better people will be along to comment.

1. Don't know!

2. In sport, yes it blips the throttle on down change.

3. Don't know yet but not being a fan of autos I'm sure I will find something! That said each update seems to make an improvement.

Gav

Paddle to shift isn't as fast as some but not a problem.

Downshifts in sport rev match

I can't find any - OK so you can catch an auto out as it isn't telepathic but that's what the paddles are for when you need to tell it what to do in advance. In real world driving an auto is much better and in a car with a slightly ropey manual shift it is probably better. Plus flappy paddles look cooler !

Yeah my isf is an auto and has a querk where it finds it hard to select a low enough gear initially on negative gradients. Finds the appropriate gear after a few seconds but feels like it's coasting prior to doing so.

One more question. Can the auto box handle the komo tech 400 ish upgrade? Not sure why it wouldn't be able to but thought I'd ask.

Stu

1. How quick are the fear shifts from paddle to shift?

Stu

The 'fear shifts' depend on how you drive. Can't help you on the gear shifts as I haven't driven one.

Glad to be of service. :)

• Like 1

1) way too long for a sports car.

I would consider IPS for use as daily driver, but leave it in auto selection. If the car is for hoons or track days, a manual gearbox is preferable imho.

Edited by DJW

@Stu

I drove now over 30.000 KM with the Komo Upgrade.  Iwould not miss it at all. The car is much more smoother and agile. Consumptions goes massivly down and throttle hangs much better on the right foot. Never had any problems and absolutely enjoy it. 

Shifting in Sports mode is sometimes quite rough especially in Sportmode while not using power. No errors reported. 

Hi, so you like the uograde? Thank you for your reply :) good to know it's not cuasing issues.

Stu

The IPS is put to shame by automated manuals imo.  That includes dual clutch by a mile.  I would also probably rather have a single clutch than deal with the IPS.  The throttle blipped downshifts are nice.  In sport mode the IPS is better but the shifts are still quite slow and often clunky.  Furthermore, I have had the car go into a limp mode a few times in the last year in which the car wouldn't shift out of third gear.  It eventually cleared itself after I restarted the car and messed with the throttle body connector which on the US board is thought to be the cause of many of the limp mode problems.  These problems are fairly common with IPS owners in the US, I haven't read much about them on this forum.  Now there are reports that Lotus fitted faulty engine harnesses and that they will replace if you crow enough about it which supposedly fixes the issue once and for all.  

Unless you absolutely cannot have a manual I personally would not recommend it.  

Well ive done a few more miles so....

In standard mode you get that slurring of the revs during gear changes which with a sport exhaust is just wrong in my book but its easy in traffic. Once in sport mode it sharpends up nicely and rev matches on the down changes. The changes are ok, as quick as a manual but not dual clutch quick. Overall once Ive fully adjusted from my old 'anti auto' frame of mind and got to play with full revs Im sure I will love it. As other have said mpg is meant to be better than the normal S and its cheaper tax, both of which will be a bonus. Its hard to say at the moment if I would spec an ips if I had the choice (which I didnt) but the die hard in me probably wouldn't, but it wouldn't be an easy decision.

Gav

Having driven torque convertors and dual clutch manuals there are pro's and con's to both - it certainly isn't all one sided.

Software version makes a big difference to the IPS

The ISP might not be as quick as a DSG, but it still changes gear way faster than I can. I really like the split personality of the ISP car. The difference between Normal and Sport is very much greater than in the manual car.

I too have IPS....the fist auto I have owned

I have driven autos before and never really liked them.....

the evora is a different kettle of fish.....

as mentioned the difference between normal and sport is very noticeable......

sport is excellent and easy to play with.....yet I found that spirited driving in a manual evora was less engaging.....I also found that the gear shift on the manual was so varied between cars......some crisp....some like a stick of celery in a bucket.......

Ive just done 4000 miles in 2 weeks on a tour of France and the car was wonderful......traffic and motorways in drive.......twisty country roads in sport........brilliant

I love my IPS............

oops

I love our IPS............

Fixed that for you :D

• Like 1

Hopefully when my test drive appointment in September comes around both a manual and IPS will be available. My preference is auto for the flexibility it offers. I read a lot of limp home issues and false neutral issues with IPS cars though. How reliable are they? Is it the minority that have issues or more than that?

Stu

a lot

2? 3? All easily fixed?

2? 3? All easily fixed?

Seems to be a fair few on the American site. Just wondered if it is common or not for the IPS box to cause issues.

Stu

I wonder why.  Is our usage that different on this side of the pond?  Are our cars different?