free hit
counters
Air con condenser radiators - Page 10 - Cooling/Heating - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Air con condenser radiators

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great! All done and cooling (I'm told).

Either of the condensers I bought will fit, the one I didn't use was (typically) the one that would have been easier to fit-and is also considerably cheaper.

Pictures to follow showing what I can of the install-but it is behind that grill...

Meanwhile, I have a spare condenser. It is the one shown in the posting above with my broken finger. Anyone looking for a single condenser conversion (ans so can chuck away those awful spidery hoses and 24 connectors...) get in touch! It is brand new, in box, unfitted and £90+postage (the cost to me).

Benefit is tha tI have it in stock now, and can send it out on Thursday, so you could have it installed at the weekend. 

As I've just this morning found out that my system works, I count me out for the spare condenser, Stu.

This has been an interesting exercise, and if I need to change condensers in future, I'll definitely be setting fire to the car. Sorry, I meant fitting a single unit.

Margate Exotics.

Yes Ian the problem is the splitter or y section but after talking with an engineering friend he's suggested drilling and tapping an alloy block then adding the new pipes from pirtek should be a little fiddly but will work better than what I'm currently left with

1 hour ago, Alex Carter said:

Yes Ian the problem is the splitter or y section but after talking with an engineering friend he's suggested drilling and tapping an alloy block then adding the new pipes from pirtek should be a little fiddly but will work better than what I'm currently left with

Are you sticking with the twin condensers, then? I thought you were going single?

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Stuart,

is you a/c still working with your single condenser?

Both of mine are shot. I’ve tried getting the standard size replacements from Germany but they are the wrong size. 

I ordered from 2 different places , when the units turned up the box was  labelled as Frigair 848.001 248x 414 but were actually nearer 530x 340 core size ? Weird. From 2 separate suppliers as well .

Now after reading this thread I’m thinking of going single!

Yes indeed. It is working and working fine. 

Mia it as cold as my A3? No. But on the hottest of days I have been very happy with it-recycling the cabin air is the beat way to stay chilled. 

I’d be interested to compare my version with one using the “broken finger” condenser. 

The volume of gas to use is the only issue. Mine was done by experts so I trust them to have got it right...

6 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

UV5005 is the P/N of the units I used. Try a search using the EAN? 4045385017188

Cheers Ian.

The ones I got were the Frigair condensers. On the box they had 414x248x19 but that wasn’t what’s inside. Must have a whole load incorrectly labelled??  

Maybe I’ll try the AVA ones which is what comes up when you search The EAN above.  Might wait till my refunds come through. 

Stuart. 

Thanks, Good to here it’s still working. I’ll have to have a think about what I should do....hmm

I think the condensers I bought came from eBay, from Eastern Europe somewhere. @swindon_alandid the legwork, and I think they were about £100 for the pair so I decided to chance it. The price looks to have shot up now, though.

I’ve had to trawl back through pages of my refurb thread to see what I did with the condensers and why. I see the reason I stayed with the original twin set-up was the surface area of the condensers. On the S4s they’re largely hidden behind the charge air cooler radiator, and I felt the air-con system needed as much help as possible. I could have plumped for a single unit but that would have entailed more bracketry and pipe work for me, and I was knee-deep in other work at the time. Clearly, a single unit works, as has been proved, and with it not being masked by a charge air rad in your V8 it’s another option to consider.

Margate Exotics.

3 hours ago, andyblackman777 said:

Great Ian,

Interestingly there is a uk site? anyway same price and they should be here tomorrow! Third time lucky

Andy

There may be, but any I found were listed as being a lot more money. I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine from, though. They did a Tour de Europe but turned up in about a week, as I recall.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 years later...

To add to this thread, it’s possible to remove the old condenser on G cars without draining coolant or oil. I dropped the radiator cassette using threaded bar in the middle position of the cassette. Removed the mid cassette screw, inserted the long bar, then removed the other screws and gradually lowered the cassette until I had sufficient clearance to get the old condenser out. My coolant hoses had sufficient flex to accommodate it. The size of the old condenser is 89x26x4.5cm. The new parallel flow unit from CBS is 48x25x3cm. There is a 1/2 gap between the condenser and the radiator (same as the old setup) I used the cable tie method from CBS to secure it and added a holding bracket as a backup. 

181D3780-14E8-4ABD-9D8B-E67DFDBEEBC4.jpeg

CB11F2D0-E598-49CC-A9BE-F90657AD7E04.jpeg

A0CCB301-16FB-4275-B1A2-961F725206A1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ad initium